want to foster a puppy :( help please!

Options
AvalonsUnicorn
AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
ok guys I need your help! How can I convince my land lord (who's a really nice guy btw) to let me foster a puppy or two? My thing with him says no pets as did he when I moved in. But the rescue is desperate and I'd like to get one permanently if I could convince my land lord of it! I'm suffering from depression and my pills have seemed to stop working though not completely. I know I need to see my doc on it but I don't think it's the kind I need pills for. I honestly think it's more of an I'm bored and lonely thing seeing as how my upstairs friends aren't the most happy people to be around. I really do think a pet is what I need plus it's a good way to get my exercise ;) so how do I get him to let me be a puppy foster and maybe after convince him to let me be a pet owner? any ideas would be grateful!

Replies

• seekingthepatienceofjob
    Options
    Why dont you talk to him about your depression?

Do you go to a therapist? If the puppy you want is well-behaved, potty-trained, and doesnt bark all the time...maybe you could get your therapist (I guess it could be your doc/psychiatrist) to write a letter stating your dog is a service/health dog.

Also, I would consider getting a pup that doesnt shed a ton...maybe a mini schanuzer, toy poodle...
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    no I don;t see a therapist. I don;t know much about the puppy's right now I'll find out more tomorrow I'm volunteering t the rescue to help walk the dogs :) I did not think about getting my doc to assign me a pet? hmm yeah I don't want a very furry dog. But I'm happy to take any responsibilities for problems the pet may case. and will sign something saying so.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Dogs are a massive responsibility, and doubly so as puppies. They need constant supervision and will make a mess of at least something in your apartment - you may be better off with an adult dog, 2 years + and house trained. Something short haired, friendly and not too big and you should be okay :)
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Have you had a dog/puppy before? They definately are a lot of work and any behavioural problems the dog has or develops sometimes can take a while to overcome.

At the end of the day, if the landlord specifically said no pets when you took the apartment it is probably because he is worried about damage to his property or the neighbours being disturbed. Even someone with a lot of experience with dogs can find something unfortunate happen. For example, my mum trained dogs for 20 years to competition level but one of her dogs once chewed its way through a wall when she was out the house for a few hours.

I'd say you really have to respect the decision your landlord made when he gave you the apartment. It could be awkward for him to say no to you if he is, as you say, a nice guy. How about getting another kind of pet? A hamster or a gerbil or something that can't as easily damage the property or be a nuisance to the neighbours?
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    Oh oh believe me I now they are! I expect that and I'm ok with it. I don't have much I'm worried about and what I do can be pet away in a closet or the spare room. My biggest problem is there's not many "little" dogs I care for. I've been raised around HUGE dogs! moms smallest is 50 pounds her biggest 120. I'd be ok with about 50 pounds actually. Or would that maybe be considered a big dog? I know every one differs on that. to me that's small!
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    sadly small pets like the hamster and gerbil I'm deathly allergic to :( no joke! ever time I've gotten near one I've stopped breathing. same with rabbits. But dogs with the exception of black labs I've never had a problem with. Snakes I'm ok with but I don't see that happening honestly.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Get a note from your Doctor that the dog would help with your depression. If it is medically recommended they have to allow it or the breaking the law.
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I would write a formal letter and just see how it goes, accepting whatever decision is made. The landlord won't appreciate being bugged about it over and over again. You could offer to pay a deposit to cover possible extra damages. We had to pay two separate deposits for our apartment to have a pet (doubling the cost for a non-pet owner). Then, we also pay a monthly fee for having the pet. It is expensive, but we accepted the conditions in order to be able to have a dog.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    some one else told me that too. I'm def going to see about doing so. I just switched over to her cause my other one wanted an appointment for EACH thing you needed to see him for. I'm not made of that much money! lol so I found a new one and love the quality of care she gives me!
  • micklespiffy
    Options
    Do, and tell the landlord, get the puppy into training quickly. The landlord is probably worried about damage, i.e. house training and chewing, which all puppies do, just teach it what is acceptable to chew and what isn't.
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    Sorry, but I am on the landlord's side. I have owned houses and rented them out, and dogs, especially puppies are the most damaging pets of all. They p*ss and *kitten* everywhere and they chew and tear everything up. They are not like on tv where all they want to do is cuddle and be good. They bark terribly when they are bored.

Your landlord has his reasons for not wanting pets. Especially puppies. Puppies take a long time to train and have way too much energy and get very bored quickly. I have had to spend thousands of dollars on fixing damage done by dogs. Just speaking from experience.
  • Etiqueta
    Etiqueta Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'd just bring it up with the landlord. Explain that the rescue is desperate for foster homes and ask if he'd allow you to bring a foster animal in. Say you'll pay for any damages that having the animal may bring.

My apartment only allows "small" dogs and they told us that as long as my dog was 50lbs or less we could have her here. I got lucky on that because the weight written down at her last vet appointment was 50lbs exactly! xD
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    Sorry, but I am on the landlord's side. I have owned houses and rented them out, and dogs, especially puppies are the most damaging pets of all. They p*ss and *kitten* everywhere and they chew and tear everything up. They are not like on tv where all they want to do is cuddle and be good. They bark terribly when they are bored.

Your landlord has his reasons for not wanting pets. Especially puppies. Puppies take a long time to train and have way too much energy and get very bored quickly. I have had to spend thousands of dollars on fixing damage done by dogs. Just speaking from experience.
    That's ok :) I like to hear from all sides so I can make the best choice. Ty for sharing your side :)
  • Sunsama
    Sunsama Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'd ask the landlord and if he says no, end of topic. If you get a dog anyways and he finds out, you will be forced to give it up. Also, most dogs over 45 lbs are not allowed in apartment complexes, purely for safety reasons. If you dog happens to get out and attack someone, a bigger dog will do a lot more damage than a smaller one.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    I'd just bring it up with the landlord. Explain that the rescue is desperate for foster homes and ask if he'd allow you to bring a foster animal in. Say you'll pay for any damages that having the animal may bring.

My apartment only allows "small" dogs and they told us that as long as my dog was 50lbs or less we could have her here. I got lucky on that because the weight written down at her last vet appointment was 50lbs exactly! xD

Nice! lol is that your pup in the pic? LOL to cute! They are desperate. I met the woman's SO today and he looked tired. Mom and I are volunteering tomorrow at least to walk the dogs. And help out. Hopefully it will be more than just tomorrow but tomorrow for sure :D
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    Most landlords won't budge on the no pets rule. I was wondering if you've considered volunteering at an animal shelter instead.
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    I'd ask the landlord and if he says no, end of topic. If you get a dog anyways and he finds out, you will be forced to give it up. Also, most dogs over 45 lbs are not allowed in apartment complexes, purely for safety reasons. If you dog happens to get out and attack someone, a bigger dog will do a lot more damage than a smaller one.

This is a two story house made into 2 apartments. My best friends live above me. and ever neighbor around us except 1 has a dog or three. all of them are big. I know I take the rottie home at least once a week (damn neighbors don;t believe in fences or chains or at LEAST WATCHING the dogs!!) But I would train mine to be an indoor dog. and He'll be well socialized at moms house :)
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options

That's ok :) I like to hear from all sides so I can make the best choice. Ty for sharing your side :)

Your welcome and I am glad you didn't take it the wrong way. Also, if you are not made of money, which most people aren't, you may want to reconsider. They must have their shots and get spayed/neutered and a big dog eats alot! Good luck,
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    Most landlords won't budge on the no pets rule. I was wondering if you've considered volunteering at an animal shelter instead.

That's actually how this started. LOL I found out our local privately owned rescue (separate from our shelter) Has three pup in desperate need of foster homes. She's sick with mono and a concision with 2 young babies at home and so could use the help!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I second getting a doctors note to say that owning a dog is part of your depression "medication" regiment.

If a person has severe anxiety or depression and they have a "service" animal who helps them stay calm or happy, it is allowed to travel with them on airplanes. If the TSA allows dogs on airplanes to help people with anxiety or depression, I don't see why your landlord wouldn't let you keep a dog to help with your depression.

You should also offer to put down one month's rent as a pet deposit.

This is a short article from WebMD about pets treating depression: http://www.webmd.com/depression/recognizing-depression-symptoms/pets-depression

If the landlord is against your permanently keeping a dog, ask if you can foster one for a few months or however long. I don't think that you should approach it from the angle that the shelter is desperate and needs you to do this. I think you should approach is as a treatment for your medical condition.