The PCOS VENT YOUR FRUSTRATIONS ongoing thread:)

Options

Replies

• afeinberg
    afeinberg Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    so i have my first appt with a well known endocrine doctor to r/o pcos next month.. I'm 38 years old and have two kids that i concieved naturally and relatively easily. BUT... i can totally relate to the extremely slow metabolism, the sturggle to get the weight off no matter what i do, the BEARD (lord have mercy..) and the irregular periods since having my daughter (she is 4.5)...

So I have some questions... is this something genetic? or is it something that you can develop over time? How is it formally diagnosed? If fertility isn't an issue, what is the treatment?

Thanks... Allison
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    so i have my first appt with a well known endocrine doctor to r/o pcos next month.. I'm 38 years old and have two kids that i concieved naturally and relatively easily. BUT... i can totally relate to the extremely slow metabolism, the sturggle to get the weight off no matter what i do, the BEARD (lord have mercy..) and the irregular periods since having my daughter (she is 4.5)...

So I have some questions... is this something genetic? or is it something that you can develop over time? How is it formally diagnosed? If fertility isn't an issue, what is the treatment?

Thanks... Allison

The biggest thing they tell you to do is to take Metaformin and eat a balance diet, and how many carbs you can have for your particular intensity of your PCOS. I was put on 45 carb maximun for each of my main meals, and required to have 3 snacks a day with a maximum of 30 carbs each. When you get pregnant and you have full blown PCOS like I do, they drop it by 15 carbs for each. They say six small meals helps balance the hormones and helps you use your insulin correctly. The first time they put me on it I conceived Alex in 45 days. The drop of carbs was hard while pregnant. I'm working on my carbs, and trying to conceive a second.
  • LosingLadi
    LosingLadi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I hate having a beard the most.

I'm always sanding my face & pluking

I'm so glad you ladies mentioned this!! I felt sorta.. y'know.. alone.. ;>.> I constantly pluck and I hate the trendy mustache. It'd be stylish if this were Europe.. about 300 years ago..
  • ebonyb202
    ebonyb202 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sigh.....pcos....thanks for dropping an extra bomb on me as if my life wasn't already crap.....in my weight loss journey you have officially made me scared to death of carbs....scared that I'm doing all of this for no reason....you made me feel like less of girl growing up...between the missed periods and the 3 week visits....not to mention facial hair that seems to increase with my weight...I would ask why me but it had to be somebody right?

Still I'm hopeful, taking this weight loss one day at a time you won't win because when I want something....I get it
  • LizzyH2009
    Options
    Thank PCOS,

I have been trying tolerate that fact you invaded my life when i was fifteen and I has been struggle with my weight since teen years until now. I am now 27 yrs old and I am not able to lose any weight. My success points were short-l;ived due to that my metabolism is so extremely slow and the cravings are plainly silly when body are not getting enough vitamins and iron. I have hit highest weight point in my lifetime for first time and it really scared me very much. I am only half pound away from be 240 and for my height. That is not very good thing to be in that weight range. It is clear that I will have to battle you for rest of my life until i hit the menopause. I never thought that I would be saying this. I shall be jumping for joy that I am in my menopause when I am in my late forties and fifties because that will when hormones will be so back in the sync with body and I probably will be slimming down. but I have the work cut out for me for next thirty years. it look like I will have to do diabetic diet since I havent been tested for insulin yet. I probably should be and I shall have to be more aware of what kind of sugar i am put in myself.

I always face gyno appts since i was sixteen and nurse pacifistners (msp) always put me on BC pills. I seriously dislike them since they just make my emotions very snappy and horrible. I finally called for real appt with official doctor to see what kind of condition i have that i have been struggles since i was fifteen and doctor tested me and all. She told me that I have PCOS and I was like oh my goodness... I cant believe that is why i am overweight in my teen yrs when my other sisters werent when they were in their teens. I was joy for that i know what excatly problem is. But face the reality that i will have to treat myself as like i have diabetic and that is very difficult for me to break my habits and change my lifestyle. I knew i has success point where i ate lot of veggies and some low sweet fruits. I was treating running as my new hobby and was going to stick to it for newxt few years to lose all weight. Unfortunately that changed when i head off to university. it have been roller coaster until now.

It is time for me to tackle my issues with positive attutide and I seriously have to ingore all people and face music to excersis more and eat much better.

sorry for long response on pcos. just gotta to vent it out!
  • DirtbikeGal
    DirtbikeGal Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! Have any of you been able to regulate your periods and ect with diet and weight loss WITHOUT Birth control? I have been prescribed with metformin but have only been taking it properly for the last week and no luck. I can skip periods for months and months at a time. Ossasionally I get provera to force it back. I hate pcos!

Just wanted to say that Metformin takes awhile to build up in your system to be effective. It can take 1 month of taking it daily or it can take 3 months. You have to be faithful and take it regular for it to build in your system. Are you on regular Met or Met ER?
  • allishax9918
    Options
    Thank you for taking the time to post these links and such! I'm going to look into it! Is it okay to take these with metformin?
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

I'm so glad you ladies mentioned this!! I felt sorta.. y'know.. alone.. ;>.> I constantly pluck and I hate the trendy mustache. It'd be stylish if this were Europe.. about 300 years ago..
    LOL omg how I wish I was a european woman 300 years ago....being plump was considered noble for women back then too!
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    Thank PCOS,

I have been trying tolerate that fact you invaded my life when i was fifteen and I has been struggle with my weight since teen years until now. I am now 27 yrs old and I am not able to lose any weight. My success points were short-l;ived due to that my metabolism is so extremely slow and the cravings are plainly silly when body are not getting enough vitamins and iron. I have hit highest weight point in my lifetime for first time and it really scared me very much. I am only half pound away from be 240 and for my height. That is not very good thing to be in that weight range. It is clear that I will have to battle you for rest of my life until i hit the menopause. I never thought that I would be saying this. I shall be jumping for joy that I am in my menopause when I am in my late forties and fifties because that will when hormones will be so back in the sync with body and I probably will be slimming down. but I have the work cut out for me for next thirty years. it look like I will have to do diabetic diet since I havent been tested for insulin yet. I probably should be and I shall have to be more aware of what kind of sugar i am put in myself.

I always face gyno appts since i was sixteen and nurse pacifistners (msp) always put me on BC pills. I seriously dislike them since they just make my emotions very snappy and horrible. I finally called for real appt with official doctor to see what kind of condition i have that i have been struggles since i was fifteen and doctor tested me and all. She told me that I have PCOS and I was like oh my goodness... I cant believe that is why i am overweight in my teen yrs when my other sisters werent when they were in their teens. I was joy for that i know what excatly problem is. But face the reality that i will have to treat myself as like i have diabetic and that is very difficult for me to break my habits and change my lifestyle. I knew i has success point where i ate lot of veggies and some low sweet fruits. I was treating running as my new hobby and was going to stick to it for newxt few years to lose all weight. Unfortunately that changed when i head off to university. it have been roller coaster until now.

It is time for me to tackle my issues with positive attutide and I seriously have to ingore all people and face music to excersis more and eat much better.

[/quote
    That's what we're here for girl! VENT IT OUT!!!!! It will help to vent it out, then you can focus more on BEATING PCOS!
  • Jessika_witha_k
    Options
    I'm right there with you. Been exercising on the regular and eating much better - measuring my waist and not losing inches AT ALL. Gir.
  • ciw15
    ciw15 Posts: 5
    Options
    I too hate PCOS! I hate the unpredicatble periods! I hate how long and heavy it is! I hate it took me 10 years to have my little girl, that thanks to fertility drug Clomid gave me. I did have to lose weight before i got pregnant, I lost 30 lbs! Now my daughter is 2 years old and I tried again for another and two months of clomid and both tests were negative. what I hate most of all is the hair growth! I so want to get laser surgery, but Im trying to lose 48 more lbs and hopefully it will grow less. we shall see! I hate you PCOS!
  • gassylu0789
    Options
    Dear PCOS,

I wish there were words too adequately express how much I hate you.

You've made growing into a woman a horrible experience. No teenager or woman for that matter should have to worry about facial hair, dark patches on their faces, non-existant periods, and worse, non-existant weight loss.

No matter what I did - how hard I pushed myself, how meticulously I counted calories, it was never good enough for you. In fact, I got heavier, hairier, and more livid.

Now, I challenge you PCOS - with medications, a will of iron, and support group that has plans to kick you to the curb.

You will not take my confidence nor will you take away my future.

I am a woman and I want to feel like one - not a hairy, overweight, and self conscious woman ... I want to feel like a beautiful woman.
  • sarammorgan
    Options
    Hey girls! Have any of you been able to regulate your periods and ect with diet and weight loss WITHOUT Birth control? I have been prescribed with metformin but have only been taking it properly for the last week and no luck. I can skip periods for months and months at a time. Ossasionally I get provera to force it back. I hate pcos!

Just wanted to say that Metformin takes awhile to build up in your system to be effective. It can take 1 month of taking it daily or it can take 3 months. You have to be faithful and take it regular for it to build in your system. Are you on regular Met or Met ER?

I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2003 and started taking Metformin. I have been taking it since then, and have had three successful (and one unsuccessful) pregnancies since then. The Metformin is going to work differently for everyone, and I think a lot depends on the dosage your doctor prescribes. Mine, since I was desperate to have a baby, started me off at 800 mg 2x a day. I think this made it build up in my system faster. I was actually pregnant the first month. I have since been taking 500 mg 2x a day, and have been regular. My advice is to give it some time, and make sure to take a pregnancy test before taking the Provera to induce a period. That was how I lost the first pregnancy the first month. We thought the medicine just didn't work, and that's why I didn't have my period.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Ladies - I was reading this post and got a little worried... my gyno says I don't have PCOS, but I seem to have some of the symptoms (at least when I'm not on birth control)

- longish, heavy, crampy periods (long being about 8-10 days)
    - I'm thick in the middle
    - I get a few hairs on my chin (about 4 right now)

am I being stupid?

I don't mean to insult what you are going through, so if I offend, I apologize. One of my good friends has this and she hates it too.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I am always plucking my chin and above my lips.... My husband calls me "Helen" his moms name... she was always plucking. lol
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thank PCOS,

Have you ever been to an Endocronolgist? If not then I suggest that you might go to one. I dont have PCOS but I did have a Pituitary problem that gives many of the same issues... hormonal that is.
  • sarammorgan
    Options

I pluck and all under my chin is one big dark area from it. I am always trying to hide it and never tilt my head up very far because of it. It's one of the most embarrassing things I've ever had to deal with.

I started using cover up and a epilator for 2 months daily and I'm showing good progress it stings and you do get minor side effects like pimples that are gone the next day but I'm loving it so far. worth the pain to look normal.
    Epilators are awesome!!!

What kind of epilator are you using?
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    Ladies - I was reading this post and got a little worried... my gyno says I don't have PCOS, but I seem to have some of the symptoms (at least when I'm not on birth control)

- longish, heavy, crampy periods (long being about 8-10 days)
    - I'm thick in the middle
    - I get a few hairs on my chin (about 4 right now)

am I being stupid?

I don't mean to insult what you are going through, so if I offend, I apologize. One of my good friends has this and she hates it too.
    Your gyno shouldve oredered a couple blood tests that will determine if your levels present a PCOS type patient. If they did not do this, then plz ask them to. But it sounds from your description, that even if you did have it, it's a very light case of it that could easily be fixed with proper diet and exercise regimen:) good luck!!!
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    emjoir Epislim