Low Calories, or Low Carbs? What is better.....

Options

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    OK, enough with the low carb is great, high carb is evil/high carb is great, low carb is evil debate. It's irrelevant, and everybody on either side is for the most part arguing about stuff that isn't real. The "Western Diet" isn't killing people. If it was, Western Civilization would've died out hundreds of years ago. People are on more medications now, because there are now medications for them. 100 years ago, they weren't on these medications, because they didn't exist, and those people just died. Also, most people that are getting sick with metabolic disorders tend to be older. Again, this wasn't a big deal in the past because the average person didn't live long enough to get there.

There is no hard, scientific, long term study that shows that any one diet is superior to any other diet.

The bottom line, people aren't as active as they once were, and are eating more total food than ever, and that's the entire reason for the obesity epidemic. Those are the real facts. So can we finish this silly, pointless argument, now?

No, people with Metabolic disorders such as Thyroid, Diabetes, PCOS, etc are getting these lifestyle diseases younger and younger. Look at the ages of many people on this site that have these disorders. They are in their teens, 20's and 30's.

It used to be these disorders / diseases came on with age as hormone levels get out of balance.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    And now people are eating more food, and being more sedentary. Obesity is a very large risk factor, usually the biggest risk factor for most metabolic disorders. The best way to reduce the risk? Lose weight. Lose weight, and most hormonal issues reset themselves.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options

I completely agree. I know low carb can be healthy for most people, and some people can't be healthy without it. But it's not necessary or even ideal for all.

BTW, I didn't write all that odd stuff about medical school and working in the medical field. I kind of jumped into the conversation.

I guess my point is that I don't think whole grains are necessary or ideal for anybody really either. And there really isn't evidence to support the necessity of it.

Necessity? Perhaps not. But there is evidence of health benefits. I eat to keep myself as healthy as possible, not just to stay alive. There is evidence that whole grains will assist in keeping me healthy. Plus, I enjoy eating them. Life, for me, is not all about necessity.

There is also evidence of health benefits by not eating them. It can swing both ways.

I have never seen a study showing health benefits achieved by a healthy person cutting out whole grains. Can you provide the study name or a link (please don't send a link to a blog).

Can you provide evidence that a person who is healthy both before and after the study showed health benefits by adding whole grains?

A study suggsting that a healthy person got healthier by eating whole grains? Perhaps not, as it would be pretty impossible to become more disease free if you were already disease free. But there are studies suggesting whole grains help you remain disease free.

In the Harvard-based Nurses' Health Study, women who ate 2 to 3 servings of whole-grain products (mostly bread and breakfast cereals) each day were 30 percent less likely to have a heart attack or die from heart disease over a 10-year period than women who ate less than 1 serving per week.
    (Liu S, Stampfer MJ, Hu FB, et al. Whole-grain consumption and risk of coronary heart disease: results from the Nurses' Health Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 1999; 70:412-9.)

A meta-analysis of seven major studies showed that cardiovascular disease (heart attack, stroke, or the need for a procedure to bypass or open a clogged artery) was 21 percent less likely in people who ate 2.5 or more servings of whole-grain foods a day compared with those who ate less than 2 servings a week.
    (Mellen PB, Walsh TF, Herrington DM. Whole grain intake and cardiovascular disease: A meta-analysis. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2007)

In a study of more than 160,000 women whose health and dietary habits were followed for up to 18 years, those who averaged 2 to 3 servings of whole grains a day were 30 percent less likely to have developed type 2 diabetes than those who rarely ate whole grains. (de Munter JS, Hu FB, Spiegelman D, Franz M, van Dam RM. Whole grain, bran, and germ intake and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study and systematic review. PLoS Med. 2007; 4:e261.) When the researchers combined these results with those of several other large studies, they found that eating an extra 2 servings of whole grains a day decreased the risk of type 2 diabetes by 21 percent.

An intriguing report from the Iowa Women's Health Study linked whole-grain consumption with fewer deaths from noncardiac, noncancer causes. Compared with women who rarely or never ate whole-grain foods, those who had at least two or more servings a day were 30 percent less likely to have died from an inflammation-related condition over a 17-year period.
    (Jacobs DR, Jr., Andersen LF, Blomhoff R. Whole-grain consumption is associated with a reduced risk of noncardiovascular, noncancer death attributed to inflammatory diseases in the Iowa Women's Health Study. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2007; 85:1606-14.)

So, what did the other people eat? Seriously. That was the first thing that popped in my head.

If the other people were eating either no bread, then you may have a point.

If the other people were eating non-whole grain breads like white bread, you have only succeeded in showing that whole-grain is healthier than non-whole grains.
  • funkycamper
    Options
    I'm really averse to low carb diets for several reasons. First and foremost is your body's need for energy. Without going into a huge bio lesson on ATP in your cells, I'm just going to point out that simple sugars, like carbs, are easy for your body to break down into their chemical components and can be quickly converted into energy for the functions of your body. Other nutrients can be broken down for this, too, but the process takes much longer, and wouldn't you rather have the protein you consume go toward building healthy muscle instead of being used as fuel? My second problem with low-carb dieting, is that it is impossible to maintain long term, and many people who participate in low-carb eating habits gain a lot of weight back once they add carbohydrates back into their diets.

source: my soon-to-be bio degree.

Also for some people the emotional toll is dreadful..I have terrible anxiety, depression and aggression on low carb diets :( Much rather be balanced...(I am on a 55% carb 25% protein and 20% fat ... the slightly higher carbs make me a much happier person and like this poster says..its easier to keep on keeping on when you are happy!)

I love how we're all so different. It really makes it hit home that there is no one best diet for everybody.

I'm the total opposite of you. Higher carbs makes me crazy. Seriously. I had such emotional rollercoaster-type mood swings that I wondered if I was bi-polar. I had chronic, long-term depression and was on medication for it. Greatly reduced my carbs and off all meds, am generally quite calm with no more emotional rollercoasters (and, boy, is my husband happy!), and my moods are generally quite elevated (so that means I'm usually happy now, too!).

Yes, it's easier to keep on keeping on when you're happy. It's just funny how we both got happy different ways, isn't it?
  • andreacord
    Options
    I just watch out for sugar and "white" carbs. That being said I tried low carb to lose a last couple pounds before prom and it was a disaster. I'd rather be able to have my carbs because I like my toast or oatmeal in the morning and my apples.
  • iwannablean
    iwannablean Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You cant choose between the two.. Because "calorie" is the unit used to define the energy that our system gets after breaking down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Maybe you mean fats or carbs! But why would you! We all know that carbs are any day better than fats, as we require fats in minimal amounts. The excess carbs that we eat get converted into fats and are stored as adipose tissue in our body. So, an ideal scenario would be eating a balanced meal including carbs, complex carbs, proteins, lil bit of fat, and lots of fiber! Anything in excess would be bad I guess... But then agian, it all depends on our lifestyle.. So it can't be "calories" or "low carb food." But low carb food should be good any day as long as it fulfills the minimum carb requirements of your body...
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    Low cal for sure.
  • Kim_08
    Kim_08 Posts: 157
    Options
    I lost A LOT of weight on a low carb diet a couple years ago, but as soon as I started eating breads, pastas, etc. I gained it back quickly plus a few. I recommend low calorie because it's more of a lifestyle and not a 'diet'.
  • Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm really averse to low carb diets for several reasons. First and foremost is your body's need for energy. Without going into a huge bio lesson on ATP in your cells, I'm just going to point out that simple sugars, like carbs, are easy for your body to break down into their chemical components and can be quickly converted into energy for the functions of your body. Other nutrients can be broken down for this, too, but the process takes much longer, and wouldn't you rather have the protein you consume go toward building healthy muscle instead of being used as fuel? My second problem with low-carb dieting, is that it is impossible to maintain long term, and many people who participate in low-carb eating habits gain a lot of weight back once they add carbohydrates back into their diets.

source: my soon-to-be bio degree.

This should be made a sticky for people that want to cut carbs drastically.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I lost A LOT of weight on a low carb diet a couple years ago, but as soon as I started eating breads, pastas, etc. I gained it back quickly plus a few. I recommend low calorie because it's more of a lifestyle and not a 'diet'.

Its because you chose low carb as a temporary solution, same as many people who choose low calorie as a temporary solution, and then gain all the weight back after they stop restricting calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I certainly wouldn't be able to say what schools, but it sure seems like that is the stance that is taken by doctors (at least everyone that I have met so far), nurses, certain other groups like the American Heart Association, the media, just about everybody (though it is slowly turning around) preaches a low fat diet as the secret to weightloss, health and longevity.

The last time I had a nurse who had to be at least 350lbs tell me that I had to lay off low carb and fats or I'd get sick and fat, and potentially die I stopped listening to anything that most doctors that cling to conventional wisdom say.

Most doctors will say to reduce fats if you want to lose weight, because fats have the most calories. But for health most recommend low saturated fat, no trans fat and moderate non-saturated fats. And if you go to medical university web sites that provide nutritional advice, this is also what you'll likely see. The media is another story, but how silly is it to listen to the media for nutrition advice?
  • 11Jayme11
    11Jayme11 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot do a low/no carb diet... I crave carbs SO BAD... more so than sweets! I do low calorie and love it that way! :)
  • LPS1986
    LPS1986 Posts: 104
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic (or at risk for it), I do not see the reason to cut carbs out of your diet. I struggle to eat calories because, as a diabetic, I eat no more then 160 grams of carbs a day (and that is a lot in comparison to low-carb diets). I eat much less if I do not workout because I do need some carbs to thrive. I also hear that if you completely cut carbs you'll gain it right back. As many have said before, it is all about calories in and calories out. I still lose weight and I eat over 100g of carbs a day. It is all about healthy balance, energizing your body and exercise.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So, what did the other people eat? Seriously. That was the first thing that popped in my head.

If the other people were eating non-whole grain breads like white bread, you have only succeeded in showing that whole-grain is healthier than non-whole grains.

There were hundreds of thousands of participants in the studies. In at least some of the studies they were not told what to eat. I'm sure some ate white bread, some ate high sugar, some ate low fat, some at high fat, and some ate low carb. But, overall, the ones that ate more whole grains were healthier. Take from that what you will. To me it indicates whole grains are good for me. Plus the fact that I switched to whole grains more than 20 years ago and have made it to age 50 with no meds and no diseases.

**I also listened to other medical recommendations like eating less saturated fat and more nonsaturated fats, eating a variety of vegetables, not overeating and getting regular exercise (most of the time). I'm not suggesting that whole grains are a miracle food.
  • jenng38
    jenng38 Posts: 105
    Options
    Okay...I am 40 years old and have been overweight my entire life. I have tried diet after diet...low fat, calorie counting, weight watchers, slim fast- you name it I have tried it. I even tried the south beach diet but could not handle the strict phase. Then I had some scary bloodwork numbers. My fasting blood sugar was high. My Dr. said you need to follow a low carb diet or you are going to be diabetic. But she insisted that I still eat fruit and whole grains. So what I did was I eliminated all processed white carbs and severely limited my intake of total carbs to about 75-80g per day. No potatoes no white bread or potato chips...you get the idea. When I did this the weight literally started falling off! (of course the holidays hit and I took a 3 month "break" from this diet and promptly put about 15 back on, so I know that I need to follow this plan for the rest of my life) I guess my point is, everyone's body responds differently to different approaches. For me, not having potatoes and white pasta is worth avoiding diabetes and getting to a healthy weight. But if you lose weight regardless of which approach you follow, I say do whatever makes you the happiest :) I will say that when I control my carbs, I sometimes find it challenging just to get to my minimum of 1200 per day! hope this helps :)
    Jenn
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Again with the theme of "when I went back to my old ways, which made me gain weight in the first place". Low carb is a lifestyle as well, just like the people that call calorie restriction or low fat, why is this such a hard concept? Low carb has NEVER presented itself in any form that I am aware of as a quick fix, but lasting changes that you have to make. As mentioned before in the thread you don't tell an alcoholic to introduce drinking into their daily life again, or give a junky a needle with "just a little bit" of heroin, it just doesn't work

Throughout the thread most of the "Low carbs diets don't work/are a disaster" posts always have a line similar to "It was a disaster, besides I LOVE my bread/oatmeal/(insert other carb-y delight). It's not that the diet is a disaster, it's that you are not willing to let go of your currently pleasureable foods. I see the type every day in the lunchroom at work, drooling while I fix my lunch of well marbled fatty steaks, vegtables and tons of butter while munching on rice cakes wondering why they gained weight last year and I lost about 60lbs, short of my goal but respectable.
  • Mrydman
    Mrydman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    'Why We Get Fat" is a GREAT BOOK!
  • funkycamper
    Options

There were hundreds of thousands of participants in the studies. In at least some of the studies they were not told what to eat. I'm sure some ate white bread, some ate high sugar, some ate low fat, some at high fat, and some ate low carb. But, overall, the ones that ate more whole grains were healthier. Take from that what you will. To me it indicates whole grains are good for me. Plus the fact that I switched to whole grains more than 20 years ago and have made it to age 50 with no meds and no diseases.

**I also listened to other medical recommendations like eating less saturated fat and more nonsaturated fats, eating a variety of vegetables, not overeating and getting regular exercise (most of the time). I'm not suggesting that whole grains are a miracle food.

Maybe. I think there are a lot of ways to extrapolate data and that researchers are human and will often look for information that supports their preconceived notions and ignore other data that doesn't.

No matter as I'm more concerned with what works for me and all my lab tests like HDL, LDL, etc., have improved since lowering my carb intake. So, as I've said numerous times, I know it works for me. YMMV.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Maybe. I think there are a lot of ways to extrapolate data and that researchers are human and will often look for information that supports their preconceived notions and ignore other data that doesn't.

No matter as I'm more concerned with what works for me and all my lab tests like HDL, LDL, etc., have improved since lowering my carb intake. So, as I've said numerous times, I know it works for me. YMMV.

I completely agree with the second paragraph. What works for most may not work for you. When you find something that works for you, you would be crazy not to stick with it. That's why I never poo-poo low carb, only the notion that it is the only or best way. There is no only way, and the best way is an individual thing.

I don't agree as much with the first. Researchers are humans so certainly some are biased, and if they are trying to sell a book on a subject I think they are more likely to be biased. But others who really just want to learn about nutrition have no reason to be biased. I like to read "we were surprised by these results" occasionally for that very reason.
  • funkycamper
    Options

I completely agree with the second paragraph. What works for most may not work for you. When you find something that works for you, you would be crazy not to stick with it. That's why I never poo-poo low carb, only the notion that it is the only or best way. There is no only way, and the best way is an individual thing.

I don't agree as much with the first. Researchers are humans so certainly some are biased, and if they are trying to sell a book on a subject I think they are more likely to be biased. But others who really just want to learn about nutrition have no reason to be biased. I like to read "we were surprised by these results" occasionally for that very reason.

Fair enough. I totally agree that there is no one size fits all method. I disagree with zealots who promote any eating plan as the answer for everyone.

As for the second, I've seen enough studies yield conflicting results and different people/groups reviewing the same data coming up with different conclusions that I tend to take most studies with a grain of salt. Not talking just weight-loss related ones but in many arenas. I'm not saying they don't have value but I just don't get really hung up on them.