Running Shoe Suggestions Needed!

Options
Hi all! I'm in the market for yet another pair of running shoes...I am currently in Saucony and I don't like them (forgive me, I can't remember the name/ #).

I need a neutral shoe with some cushion/ flexibility and my knees are kind of wonky so anything that could help with that. Any pairs you've found that you love? I do distance running and am training for another half, so, need to get in some good shoes! My last ones were actually stability shoes (Asiics) but I found out I shouldn't run in those...oopsy!

Replies

• tsmoore925
    tsmoore925 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest some ASICS, ones with gel in them!! I got my first pair back in September, and they are awesome!!!
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest some ASICS, ones with gel in them!! I got my first pair back in September, and they are awesome!!!

ASICS in the UK do shoes for a range of gaits. Worth checking out.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first serious pair of running shoes. :) I went to a running specialty store & they watched me walk/run on a treadmill to analyze what kind of shoe I needed. I ended up with the Mizuno Wave Rider's. I :heart: them! I feel like I'm running on air. I also like Asics. That was my first pair. But the Mizuno far out does them.
  • oumick03
    oumick03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've heard good things about the Mizunos. I went to a running shop for this last pair and they suggested saucony - my least fave so far. I'm hoping to find a shoe I LOVE and can stick with from here on out.
  • focus2bfit
    Options
    Brooks or Mizuno I like the Brooks a little better
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they would help you but my vibram five fingers are amazing they don't have the cushion you need but they are the most natural way to run
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My doctor (used to run competitively) recently recommended going into a running store where they will fit you for a shoe that fits your foot and running style appropriately. You don't have to buy them there, but it's a good place to start and you'll know you are getting the right shoe for you.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I love getting new running shoes......I bought two new pairs last week! I swear by Nike's only (usually the Pegasus, but just switched this time to something else) and found that they work best for me since I have low arches and very high heel pressure.....if you have a running store near you, i definitely recommend trying there so they can watch you run and recommend a shoe if you pronate, have heavy arches, etc.If its a proper running store, they usually let you even return them after a day or so of trying them out and you find they dont work for you

One thing that I will recommend, if you dont do this already, is trying shoes one to two sizes bigger than you normally do. I had no idea that this was normal for running, until i went to get fitted for some when I was training for a half marathon. I wear a 7 in dress shoes and thats what I was wearing for running shoes, until the guy told me there I should really be wearing about a 9. He convinced me to get a 8 1/2 and it was the best thing I've ever done. Apparently it really helps you running to have your feet to have space for toe flexion and all, dont know everything about it, but according to runner's world " you need about a thumb's width of room between your longest toe and the front of the running shoe for the footwear to function properly. Expect your running/walking shoe to be from one-half to two sizes larger than your other shoes." It feels weird at first, but i can't imagine going back to a smaller size now

anyhow, i just found that most people didnt know this, so thought I'd pass it on for you guys too!
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Pearl Izumi -
    I LOOOOve light weight shoes that don't hurt!
  • oumick03
    Options
    I don't know if they would help you but my vibram five fingers are amazing they don't have the cushion you need but they are the most natural way to run

I've wanted to try them, but, with my knee issues, I'm not sure if it is the best idea. Granted, maybe running natural would help my knee!!
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nike Pegasus are a great neutral shoe with some cushion. I LOVE mine.
  • oumick03
    Options
    I love getting new running shoes......I bought two new pairs last week! I swear by Nike's only (usually the Pegasus, but just switched this time to something else) and found that they work best for me since I have low arches and very high heel pressure.....if you have a running store near you, i definitely recommend trying there so they can watch you run and recommend a shoe if you pronate, have heavy arches, etc.If its a proper running store, they usually let you even return them after a day or so of trying them out and you find they dont work for you

One thing that I will recommend, if you dont do this already, is trying shoes one to two sizes bigger than you normally do. I had no idea that this was normal for running, until i went to get fitted for some when I was training for a half marathon. I wear a 7 in dress shoes and thats what I was wearing for running shoes, until the guy told me there I should really be wearing about a 9. He convinced me to get a 8 1/2 and it was the best thing I've ever done. Apparently it really helps you running to have your feet to have space for toe flexion and all, dont know everything about it, but according to runner's world " you need about a thumb's width of room between your longest toe and the front of the running shoe for the footwear to function properly. Expect your running/walking shoe to be from one-half to two sizes larger than your other shoes." It feels weird at first, but i can't imagine going back to a smaller size now

anyhow, i just found that most people didnt know this, so thought I'd pass it on for you guys too!

YES! I learned the very hard way that you need bigger shoes a few years ago. If you don't like your toenails, stick to smaller shoes :-)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    The best advice you can get from anyone in these forums is to go to a running store and get fitted. Just because one person likes/needs asics or nike or saucony or brooks, doesn't mean it works for the next person. I personally love my Brooks running shoes but you might not. It's best just to go in and get fitted and find the shoe that's right for you. When I first started running I posted something exactly like what you just posted and I ended up just ordering a pair of Asics that I thought were appropriate for me. Wrong. Waste of money. Went to the running store and decided on some Brooks running shoes that are amazing! Don't make the mistake I made, do it right from the start. Get fitted. Or at the very least just go try on a bunch of pairs until you decide what's right for you.
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love Brooks! I got a pair and ran a 10k in them a week later with no problem, so comfy! I had Mizunos a year ago and HATED them. Which based on other comments, should tell you that it all depends on you :) Definitely check out a specialty store, they are usually helpful and I don't mind buying my shoes there, but mine is a local business and do a lot of things for the community.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Do not buy the 5 finger shoes. My bro in law is a podiatrist and he usually recommends actual running shoes. They are still new and I think need more long term research. If you do get them-make sure you know how to run in them or you will be in for a world of pain!!
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    brooks! i get addiction 9s and would never get another kind!
  • Jw9576
    Jw9576 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Everyone's feet are different and need to be checked, "professionally"
    Go to a running store and have them evaluated on their equipment that checks gait, etc
    I did and was fitted with Asics Landreth 7 - I have over pronated feet.

Since ALL shoe makers are different, I didn't realize I had been wearing the wrong kind all my life! No wonder my feet would hurt after being on them for a few hours! I did my first 1/2 marathon with these shoes in 2009 - no problems whatsoever and no soreness/blisters at all.

Good luck!
  • audddyy
    Options
    For my training long runs I use = ASICS (Kayano) = they are awesome.

But when I race or do temp runs I like to use something lighter = I either race in Nike (Lunas) or Adidas (marathon) or Lunalitespiders.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I prefer either New Balance or Nike. A good thing to check is the width of the sole where the arch is. I avoid the shoes that are narrow through the arch, but definitely go to a running store, or in my case, I got some orthopedic supports at a podiatrist. They are more expensive than the Dr. Scholl versions, but IMHO they are well worth it.
  • George1567
    Options
    About a month ago I went to a running speciality store and was "fitted" for shoes. I am not a runner, but have always had trouble with my feet going numb (in less than 20) mins on a elliptical machine. This problem had occured over 5+ years and several top name brand shoes. It took nearly an hour of fitting and walking in different shoes before they told me which one they though fit me best, which I also agreed. The shoes they sold me were size 12, I have never owned anything over a 10.5 before. The next day I went 45 mins with no numbness in my feet on the elliptical. My 10.5 fit, but they felt the pressure points in my feet lined up correctly with the size 12, plus feet swell some when doing distance cardio. After all the help they gave me I paid $95 for Nike air pegasus ?sp? Which I thought was a fair price just for the shoes, not counting the massive personal attention they gave me. This has made a HUGE difference in my fitnes efforts. My feet and knees are feeling awesome, heck I may try running at some point since I have the right shoe.

This was the first time I ever bought shoes where I didnt point at a pair on display and ask them if they had it in my size. The speciality store spent 15 mins measuring and watching me walk barefoot before they ever brought out the first box(es) of shoes. Tried on many brands, models, and sizes. I will not go shoe shopping again to buy a paticular kind of athletic shoe, i will go to find the one that is right for me.