so what's up with 850-900 cals burned in less than an hour

Options

Replies

• phatgirl30
    Options
    No ine is saying you dont give 110% but you have 15-20lbs to lose and alot of people on here including myself have up to a 100lbs and even more to lose so people weighing more sre going to burn more
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Strength training
    Upper-body work
    Thermal stress

Question for you Azdak, are you familiar with how much thermal stress may skew the results? Is it a minor discrepancy or can it be a major one?

It can be substantial.

Example: a yoga class might burn 300-400 calories. During hot yoga, people will get HRM counts double and triple that number. The extra number is due to the thermal stress (no extra calories are actually being burned).

That's probably an extreme example, but I would say that, for someone 170-200 pounds, thermal stress could make a difference of 2-5 calories a minute.

There is also something known as cardiovascular drift. During a longer workout, heart rate will steadily increase with no change in workload. When I do a 45 stairmaster workout, even a fairly easy one, my HRM calorie count for the 2nd half of the workout is easily 30% higher than the first half (sometimes 100+ calories difference in 22.5 min), even though neither my workload nor my breathing has changed.

It's one of the many reasons why I caution people about HRM calorie readings -- not to see them as precise measurements. The average HRM is set up to estimate calories only during steady-state aerobic exercise. If set up properly, it might reach about 85%-90% accuracy under those strict conditions.Every variation away from that "ideal" set of conditions diminishes the accuracy.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 214 lbs (down from 289 last year). I burn 800-1000+ cals in a one-hour high intensity spin class. I rarely hit 1000 anymore, but when I was heavier, I did all the time. I use a heart rate monitor that's set up properly and it corresponds well with my road bike computer, too. However, the default MFP numbers that pop up when I log my calories are always low by a lot. However, I think I work harder than almost everyone in any class I've been too. The average spin class participant is usually coasting along. But the interesting thing is that the difference between easy going and misery is only a few hundred calories in an hour. It's probably not worth it (unless you are seriously time crunched or something), but I go to not only lose weight, but to make myself faster on my real bike.
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I easily burn over 800 calories in an hour Zumba class...but of course I weigh 240 pounds and not 140 pounds. I reach my target heart rate probably quicker than you do. I also wear a heart rate monitor to see how many calories I'm burning. I found that MFP always overestimated calories burned for some reason. This way it makes my weight loss a little more accurate.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    Here is the very simple fact. Any physical activity that bumps up your HR in Zone 5 which is 90-100% from your max HR can burn up to 20 cals/min. You do the math now.
    Here is some details.

Zone 5a: Threshold Endurance
    Also known as: Superthreshold
    % Lactate Threshold: 100%-102%
    % VO2 Max: 91%-93%
    % Max Heart Rate: 91%-93%
    RPE Scale: 17

Used for: Intervals, hill work, and tempo work; typically used after some Zone 4 time has already been done. Zone 5 workouts are very short because it is difficult to maintain this level for any length of time.
    Zone 5b: Anaerobic Endurance
    Also known as: Speed Endurance
    % Lactate Threshold: 103%-105%
    % VO2 Max: 94%-98%
    % Max Heart Rate: 94%-98%
    RPE Scale: 18-19

Used for: Intervals and hill work to improve anaerobic endurance. Intervals in this zone generally have work-to-rest ratio of 1:1, for example, a 20 second sprint followed by 20 seconds of easy recovery (Zone 1).
    Zone 5c: Anaerobic Capacity
    Also known as: Power
    % Lactate Threshold: 106%+
    % VO2 Max: 98%-100%
    % Max Heart Rate: 98%-100%
    RPE Scale: 20

Used for: Short-term Sprinting. Intervals in this zone have a work to rest ratio of 1:2 or more.

^^^^^^ This is your answer right here!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I agree and the MFP numbers are usually way over the top. I typically take 25-50% off what it recommends if I am not tracking with HRM myself.

Also, soooo many people keep saying they are using the elliptical machines. I find this the most useless workout for HR and therefore cal burn. Not much better than a recline bike! I don't know how you can burn 800 on the thing, I have only even burnt about 200-300 cals on one.

Go for a run or a spin class people - probably the only two things that will burn 600-800. Zumba too I do every now and then and that is definitely 800 cals if you put everything into it.
    It's all about the resistance, I can burn a lot on the elliptical, much more than I can on a bike!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The more fit individual will burn fewer calories than a less fit person all things being equal. Being fitter, their body is more efficient and requires less energy to perform the exercise.

An HRM calculates off of your Heart Rate, Go figure, and a fit person has a harder time getting their heart rate up so their calories burned is less.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Somedays I have massive burns from my work outs other days I don't. I wear an HRM. I also noticed that once my body is use to an exercise or routine I tend to burn less, so I switch it up a little.

Everyones metabolism is different.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Weight, level of intensity, where the numbers are coming from, etc....all variable in determining one's burn.

I use my HRM to track myself and don't give a hoot what others use.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I hope that AZDAK sees my posts and comments on what I have done....

I recently adjusted my HRM because of this. I am 6 ft tall and am down from 230 to 172. I have a Polar ft7 and when I run, my average Heart rate is 176-180 and a peak of up to 194 depending on the day, this is for 45 minutes to an hour of running. I often burn over 1,000 calories according to my HRM. Anyways back to the point. Under user settings, it takes your personal stats and gives an estimated "max HR" ( for me it says 192) and then from what I gather, it takes this "max hr setting" and compares it with your actual HR to determine % of max capacity you are working to compute calories burned.

My issue is if I can hit 194 and not be dead or in fibrillation, then obviously my max HR is higher than the 192 that polar estimates for me so the other day I moved the setting up to 196. And since then I have hit 194 a few times so I might bump it up to 200.

I do not recommend everybody do this, and I would hope that as my fitness improves that my max hr will drop for steady state cardio such as long runs.

But I attribute this to why my calories burned are 30-40% higher than some of my friends when doing running at the same speed.
  • GloriaCary
    Options
    Try some ZUMBA- (700-1200) REALLY!!!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do believe it is possible. You may give 110% on any given day, but often, 110% on one day is different than 110% on another day. I wear a HRM for all my exercise, especially zumba and walking. In a 1-hr zumba class, I've burned as few as 400 calories to as many as 789 calories. But I gave 110% each time. In doing a walk/jog, I have burned 500 calories in 30 minutes, and for the full 60 minutes I had a bit over 900 calories burned. So again, it is possible.

I try not to worry about what other people are doing so much and just focus on me. If I'm really curious about something one of my friends is doing, then I just ask them directly - either on their page, or send them a private message. No harm in that.
  • nallbaby10
    Options
    That sort of impies I don't give 110%, which I do. I seriously can't be in any more pain. I only need to lose about 15-20 lbs and an hour of Zumba (with HRM) also only burns 400-500 cals for me.

I dont burn a whole lot either but i also cant push myself more or i think i would pass out and im not super big either, idk what gives lol.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I totally disregard calorie burn numbers except my very own.
    And I found my zone through trial and error.

My most intense exercise will burn 600 calories per hour.
    Most just 400.

You must find your zone, and HRM are not the end all be all either.
    Just tinker and tweak.
  • amandamaren
    amandamaren Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree and the MFP numbers are usually way over the top. I typically take 25-50% off what it recommends if I am not tracking with HRM myself.

Also, soooo many people keep saying they are using the elliptical machines. I find this the most useless workout for HR and therefore cal burn. Not much better than a recline bike! I don't know how you can burn 800 on the thing, I have only even burnt about 200-300 cals on one.

Go for a run or a spin class people - probably the only two things that will burn 600-800. Zumba too I do every now and then and that is definitely 800 cals if you put everything into it.
    you can do it quite easily if you set the resistance high and really push yourself. when i do that, my hr monitor shows that my rate is waaaaay higher than when i'm running fast on the treadmill for the same amount of time. i usually have to slow it down a bit for fear of pushing my heart too hard.

to the OP, anyone can put in that they burned any number of calories. it doesn't mean that they did, and what they're doing doesn't matter to your fitness goals. keep up the good work!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I figured it was because of weight, since I'm tipping the scales at 350lbs most workouts give me a high calorie burn number. but their probably wrong because Even though I'm a big guy even an hour on an elliptical isn't that hard for me. my Doctor says I'm the healthiest big dude he knows so I'm probably not a good example. It feels great that 5k runs are no problem for me but I would like to loose the gut some day. I think I need an HRM
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options

I totally disagree with ^^^^^^

I do 1 hour on the elliptical and I can burn 500 cals doing it and my body feels like I have had a good work-out. If you do not not up your cross training and resistence, NO you will not get a good work-out it. My heart rate is always within my target and sometimes I go over when I push the resistence up. It all depends on how you use the machines to get the best work-out. :)
  • Wildy71
    Options
    I would usually run between 10km and 12km in 1hr. That usually burns 950cal to a bit over 1000cal. I weigh 192.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    That sort of impies I don't give 110%, which I do. I seriously can't be in any more pain. I only need to lose about 15-20 lbs and an hour of Zumba (with HRM) also only burns 400-500 cals for me.

That's it right there. Put on a 125-130lb fat suit and do the same workout and see what happens. If you think it's waaaay intense working out at only 15-20lbs overweight, try adding a zero to the end of that number. I started out at 297lbs...my goal weight is 135-140lbs. It is not unusual for my HR to get up to 165-170bpm within the first fifteen minutes of a workout. So, yes, I burn alot more calories in my workouts. Not because I deliberately push harder, but because my body naturally has no choice but to work harder in order to perform at that level. Here's a suggestion: take two 20lb dumbells, and, holding one in each hand with your arms hanging at your side, run up and down a flight of stairs for five minutes. It won't take you long to see what I'm talking about. Those of us who are morbidly obese do this every day just in our normal daily routines.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    You are relatively small. I weigh 172 and I burn 600 calories in an hour if I'm working out intensely. I have a Polar FT4 HRM. Do you have a decent HRM?

I have MFP friends who have lost a lot of weight who used to burn more than 600 per hour and now will log something like P90X for an hour for 350 calories.