Planet Fitness?

Options
fiveferrels
fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
Planet Fitness, anyone know anything about the gym? They are coming to our town soon I hear.

Replies

• alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know they have one out near me in Overland Park. never been to it, but i hear they have low membership fees.
  • amaried621
    amaried621 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I belong to PF. It's a gym for the masses. $10 a month to go to just one location or $20 a month to go to any location and unlimited tanning and massage chair use. At the one I normally go to I realized that they don't even have a scale! I prefer smaller gyms but this is good if you are on a budget, they have a pretty decent assortment of machines.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Look up their commercial - there's one with this super buff dude and all he says is, "I pick things up and put them down". (Trust me it's funnier that this makes it sound...)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to one but my understanding is that there are no free weights, only machines and no fitness classes. So, if that is all you need it seems like a cheap deal.
  • TheLuSir
    TheLuSir Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    My buddy has been going to one (according to Foursquare) and I was about to ask him about it. He's a total tanning freak, so this might be the reason why...
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    PF is awesome! Down to earth and tons of equipment.
  • tkdbutterfly
    Options
    I love planet fitness. They all vary a bit from location to location but mine has a huge assortment of well maintained cardio equipment, plenty of weight machines and a ton of free weights. There are also areas for stretching and a thirty minute circuit that you can adapt to your fitness level. I highly recommend it!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to one but my understanding is that there are no free weights, only machines and no fitness classes. So, if that is all you need it seems like a cheap deal.

Mine has a huge free weights section.
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Mine has a huge free weights section.
    As does mine. This is a myth that folks love to perpetuate. The lame adverts don't help either.
  • Etiqueta
    Etiqueta Posts: 42 Member
    Options

There's classes at the one I go to at least. You can make an appointment to design your own program, circuit training, arms, shoulders, back, abs, legs, etc.

I just signed up in January and so far I like it fine! It was the cheapest gym in the area and so far I haven't run into any reasons not to like it.
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to PF years ago before they started their riduculous "Judgement Free Zone" crap. They started this policy so as to force all of the people who actually workout to leave the gym. I found that they are the ones who are judemental. Shortly after they started the policy they got rid of the METREX protein drinks I liked, I asked why and the person at the desk said "Oh, thats for the muscle heads so we got rid of it". That was the last straw for me. I quit and joined a real full service health club, The WORKS in Somersworth NH. It has everything from free weights to 3 swimming pools, basketball, raquet ball, spinning, you name it. Most importantly the staff there are very polite and helpful to all. I love my club. The owners of PF are only interested in maximum profits and it shows.
  • jenslife82
    Options
    They have a no grunting rule lol. other than that they are good :)
  • alil2loveable
    alil2loveable Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a membership at PF, I like it because it is 24 hours here, also they have this cool 30 minute circuit workout, but if you looking for something advanced and high tech might not be the place for you.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options

I love Planet Fitness, all the locations I have been to have a ton of free weights. I do the $20 deal so I can go to any locations and can bring a guest whenever I want.

They have a great variety of equipment. They do not have classes but for the price can't really complain.
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner & I love it. I've heard from other friends who have frequented other gyms and they say PF was definitely a no-frills kind of place. Personally, I don't need any of the things most of the other gyms provide, like child care, a pool, structured classes, etc. There is a free trainer & you sign up for classes (the max is 5 people per training session) and you can do machines, free weights, cardio, exercise balls - the basics. The one benefit of the newer ones is that each machine usually has its own TV to watch if you want to get lost in what you're doing. I watched an hour of mindless TV & 600 cals later realized how long I was there. I also love the 30 minute circuit training area. Perfect for me. Hope this helps. :happy: Good luck!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    and when I signed up it was $20 down and did not have to sign a contract and could cancel at any time, can't beat that!
  • stevemuscle
    Options
    PF is disgusting. I go to Blink Fitness.
  • lexagon
    lexagon Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I went to one for about a year, they aren't really that bad. They have everything you need. Our had a smoothie bar which was awesome. The staff wasn't so great, but hey what are you gonna do. If that's the only gym you have then give it a shot it's better than nothing and membership is cheap.

Even if you have another gym you can always ask for a tour, they'll do it :)
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I love my PF. I have the $20/mo membership. This allows me to meet up with friends at other locations and bring one guest w/ me for free whenever I want to. Meaning you could always go 1/2 w/ someone and go together (but, they have to come in with you and sign in as a guest) but there is no limit to the number of times!

My PF has a nice free weight section and weight machines. And of course they have the cardio machines, a 30-min circuit training area and they have a stretching area. True there is no scale... but if that is the only draw back... so be it.

Everyone there has always been so nice to me... I was almost 300 pounds when I started going and I never once felt 'prying eyes' staring and judging me. Not to say they weren't internally but all I heard was support about how great it was that I was getting out there moving. They also have group training and you can sign up for one on one to set up a routine for your specific workout level and goals.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The one i go to actualyl does have some free weights - not a big section of them though...lots of weight machines, a circuit training section. No classes or anything like that. they do offer free "training" sessions: design a fitness program, also sessions on abs, arms etc.

their basic membership is $10/month with a yearly fee (which i forget) - lets you go to one location
    the upgraded membership is $19.99/month (still has yearly fee) - lets you go to any location and lets you bring a guest to your home location.

http://www.planetfitness.com/