Job Issues--Would love opinions

Options
2»

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sticking up for me. Apparently, I'm not supposed to have feelings. Also, just for the record, I work for a branch office of the main firm. There isn't anyone here I can discuss this with.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Why don't you respond to his last email and ask where the project stands and offer your assistance. He will know then that you are aware of his misleading comments. It isn't (most likely) to call him out for his deceit and doing so directly probably won't do you much good.

It is great that you have the CYA documentation, but unless you need it to save your job I wouldn't try to use it against him. Truly, unless you work for a company that puts ethics ABOVE all else you will probably find that you will lose any battle with him. It may be subtle, but in the end you will not be the winner.

I think this approach is the most professional and gets straight to the point. CC/BCC the person who asked you about the status or your direct line boss. Its likely your office already knows who/what he is.
  • madyncaden
    madyncaden Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I would urinate in his coffee, and just smile everytime I looked at him.:mad:

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sticking up for me. Apparently, I'm not supposed to have feelings. Also, just for the record, I work for a branch office of the main firm. There isn't anyone here I can discuss this with.
    Of course you're entitled to your feelings, but it's important to temper them in the workplace, and not allow them to affect your performance.
  • bjclaywell
    bjclaywell Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    While I'm not an attorney, I am a law firm administrator - what are the chances that this could result in a malpractice issue? If the chances are high, you probably need to let someone know (another senior or equity partner?) right away. If it is an internal task that will not result in malpractice, I agree with the other posters that you should simply forward the last reminder (or the first) to this attorney and ask what the status of the project is, and is there anything you can do to help.

Unfortunately, you always have to CYA - and you have to play the games. It's unfortunate, but it is very, very common in our practice...

Good luck!
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Why don't you respond to his last email and ask where the project stands and offer your assistance. He will know then that you are aware of his misleading comments. It isn't (most likely) to call him out for his deceit and doing so directly probably won't do you much good.

It is great that you have the CYA documentation, but unless you need it to save your job I wouldn't try to use it against him. Truly, unless you work for a company that puts ethics ABOVE all else you will probably find that you will lose any battle with him. It may be subtle, but in the end you will not be the winner.

I think this approach is the most professional and gets straight to the point. CC/BCC the person who asked you about the status or your direct line boss. Its likely your office already knows who/what he is.
    Your tone, and who you include in the email is so very important. You never know how it may come across.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Don't confront and don't go head to head, the corporate world is a big ugly inbred place. Your best bet is to show your boss if he is the general counsel, they typically are regarded in the same light as the executive group and if he has your back you will be fine. In fact if he is getting asked about the project then someone is already probably looking into his performance and if the info you have comes from anyone it needs to be the general counsel. Also don't waste your time with HR they'll throw you under the bus faster than anyone else. If you are a public company and have an internal audit group they would also be a good resource.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm in a small office and don't have anyone else here to discuss with.

Is the benefit of making a big deal about it worth any problems or issues that will come from it?
    You're low man on the totem pole, it's part of the job.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    If you can drop him in the grease and totally get away with it, do it.
    And start working on ways to sabotage this person any way you can.
    He is your enemy.
    And don't feel bad, because he drew first blood when he threw you under the bus.

GET HIM!:devil:

I like you. :smile: I think honestly, I'm probably overreacting a little because today has been so stressful. I had a big hearing this morning, which went really well, but I was here very early preparing for it. I came back to this.
    And no doubt he's smiling in your face and acting polite while back dooring you all the way.

I'd have this crumb investigated for dirt I could use. I did that with my own family members given a similar contentious situation. Found out my brother was a closet gay person while married, my sister had an abortion - :laugh:
    Anyway, once somebody crosses me, I go for the throat.
    I've never lost a fight in my life whether in the street, office or in court.

You need to totally ruin this guy.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Keep it in your back pocket until it proves to be a problem. The reality is that he is a CFO, he didn't get there without people that support him. Unless he has broken a law that will hurt the firm, those supporters will still be on his side. Bosses do not like critiquing of themselves or other bosses, even with proof of wrong doing. Whether they know he is an idiot or not doesn't matter. Unless something truly big happens like a demotion or a bad performance review due directly to this, you will look like the trouble maker. That will cause you more career trouble than this one instance of scapegoating.

If he has a long standing habit of idiocy, they already know that you have been scapegoated.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I would urinate in his coffee, and just smile everytime I looked at him.:mad:

This just made my day!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You're an attorney and you're posting on a weight loss forum?

what does this have to do with anything? I'm a secretary and i post on a weight lost forum as well. what is it you do that says you CAN post on a weight loss forum?:mad:

:grumble: ne way, keep paper documents and be prepared to follow up with it in case him screwing around puts your job in trouble.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    What?
    Attorneys are some of the most ruthless, unethical, implacable mean machines on the planet.
    That's why we hire them.

I hate to lose.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options

Are you saying you don't have access to your supervisor or HR? Because depending on your relationship with your boss, I would suggest just making it known that this is not on your shoulders... comments like these can damage reputations. Good luck and tread carefully!
  • joanie152
    joanie152 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Legally, regardless of the size of office, once an issue has been brought to HR, it has to be investigated and cannot be rescinded even if the issue has been resolved. (Trust me on this one!)

It really is not worth your losing your job over. In these economic times, he may be the one to make the decision as to whether or not to keep you. Just forward the old email to him asking where the project stands, and if there is anything you can do to push it along etc.

Then go home and scrub the brown stuff off your face :) , have a drink, take a kick boxing class... You get the picture..
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Opinions, please...our Firm's CFO, who is a recent hire, bold-faced lied about something. He stated unequivocally that he had delegated a task to me and very snottily added, "and it should have been completed six months ago." Not only is this not true, but I had actually initiated an email to him five months ago about the topic, and he never responded. I followed up three times and again, never received a single response. I have the email documentation to back this up. The thing is, I'm not supposed to know that he has said this about me. I was asked if I had ever received an assignment from him and replied that I had not. When I asked why, I was told about the email correspondence. I also sent the person who asked me about this the email documentation. I really want to confront him and am so angry I could spit. Advice? I am a lowly associate attorney. He's considered an executive. It's not like me to take anything like this laying down, but I can also be too blunt and that could hurt me professionally. However, so could the fact that he's lying about it. In fact, the last email I have says he is "spearheading" the project in question. The thing is that he simply forgot about it and now people are getting on his case. Instead of manning up and saying, "Hey, it got pushed back by other fires" he looks for a scapegoat. That, apparently, is me.

I would keep any evidence I had, but not say or do anything unless it became clear that this was affecting my job in some way--compensation or advancement or the like. If not, It's been my experience that, no matter how you feel, confronting someone about it or fighting for "what's fair" or "on principle" usually comes back to bite you on the butt. It sucks, but life is almost never fair. Once you realize that, the happier you'll be and the easier it is to get over this kind of thing. If it affects your compensation or advancement, I'd give the evidence to my direct supervisor, and go on up the chain of command from there.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Wendyc122005 had a great idea!!! Write a note: Dear "John", I have sent you 3 emails regarding " project name" and have not received a response. I will be happy to move this forward to help. Please advise .....well you get the jist.

Do not file a grievance - plus if its a small office do they even have a HR dept?
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Who told you about this? Did he/she stick up for you? Be careful! It sounds like this person likes to get things started.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Opinions, please...our Firm's CFO, who is a recent hire, bold-faced lied about something. He stated unequivocally that he had delegated a task to me and very snottily added, "and it should have been completed six months ago." Not only is this not true, but I had actually initiated an email to him five months ago about the topic, and he never responded. I followed up three times and again, never received a single response. I have the email documentation to back this up. The thing is, I'm not supposed to know that he has said this about me. I was asked if I had ever received an assignment from him and replied that I had not. When I asked why, I was told about the email correspondence. I also sent the person who asked me about this the email documentation. I really want to confront him and am so angry I could spit. Advice? I am a lowly associate attorney. He's considered an executive. It's not like me to take anything like this laying down, but I can also be too blunt and that could hurt me professionally. However, so could the fact that he's lying about it. In fact, the last email I have says he is "spearheading" the project in question. The thing is that he simply forgot about it and now people are getting on his case. Instead of manning up and saying, "Hey, it got pushed back by other fires" he looks for a scapegoat. That, apparently, is me.

I was thinking the same thing!