Watching anything else but calories?

Options
Does anyone else watch anything else on their diary, other than the caloric intake? I've been watching my fat carefully, even though I always tend to go over sodium, sugars and cholesterol (especially when I eat bacon and toast in the morning for breakfast). Is that very important, do you think? I never go over my calories - I only did that once but I've been watching very carefully since then.

Replies

• taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Now that i've reached my goal weight, and i want to put on muscle, i'm watching my macros (protein, carbs and fats at a 40/30/30 ratio), but I don't do it religiously. But with weight loss I just made sure I was eating back calories and eating clean made the big difference for me. I cut out all processed foods (including bread, pasta even if it was wholegrain) and it was hard at first, but worth it in the end. You just have to remember everybody is different, everyone's body reacts a different way to different foods, you just have to find out what's right for you.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I use the phone app to track pretty much everything. Being a bit older I am interested in keeping my body in balance. I did a lot of research when I started 4 months ago to tweak my diet for losing in a way that fit me not everyone elses notions. Did you see a doctor before starting, it's helpful to have the cholesterol and blood work numbers so you have something to work from. Sugar is tough if you are eating a lot of fruit, the 30g recommended is for added sugar but MFP doesn't split say the sugar in a cinnamon roll from the sugar in an apple so you have to take it with a grain of salt. Sodium is recommended at 2500, your blood pressure will tell you if that's too high an amount, lol. I'm on 1500mg a day, try that :), my doctor is into preemptive action. Other than that, just do the research and decide what is good for you personally.
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    yup, I watch protein, carbs, calories, fat, sodium, and switch between fiber and sugars. I wish I could keep track of more than just the 6.
  • itsablondething
    itsablondething Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Carbs... don't try to do low carb, just "lower" carb, and type of fat. My personal belief if that health depends more on the type of fat consumed than how much. So, I track Mono unsat, polyunsat, sat... and I avoid transfats like the plague.
  • orchidsand
    Options
    I look at it all & try to stay under everything except protien. Occasionally I go over on fat when I splurge and use some butter. I bleive if you are trying to lose then stay under everything except protien is the best bet for losing. When I hit the maintence phase, I suspect I will look at it differently.
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    yeah, i watch my carbs and protein. I try to get as few as possible of the former and as much as possible of the latter.

also, sugar (means I'm overindulging and usually binge later that day/the next day) and sodium (for health reasons).

actually, fiber too (make sure i'm pooping enough)
  • GammaSigMommy
    Options
    I just have to say I LOVE LOVE LOVE your tracker! Nujabes was the best!
  • GammaSigMommy
    Options
    yeah, i watch my carbs and protein. I try to get as few as possible of the former and as much as possible of the latter.

also, sugar (means I'm overindulging and usually binge later that day/the next day) and sodium (for health reasons).

• bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

He was! sadly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maoTxHt8ILk&feature=related
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I track carbs, proteins and fats :)
  • sbaquera
    Options
    I watch proteins, carbs and fats...i tend to go lower carb as I notice I feel better and I stay away from processed foods like the plague. THis seems to be working for me :)
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I also watch protein (want it high) and sodium (want it low) very closely. I keep an eye on carbs as well.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I am anemic so I track my iron. I also watch my carbs and fat. Not too concerned about protien and fiber although I do have my tracker for it
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I watch calcium & sugar. I really struggle with sugar.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I watch the calories, carbs and protein the most diligently. I added fiber recently, too.

I am not going for ultra-low carb, but in 2 of my 3 pregnancies I was borderline for GD, so definitely need to keep an eye on it. I also know that when I eat too many carbs I have a hard time staying on track - too many calories from way too much snacking. Higher protein and many of those "snacking urges" have gone away. I've also had a LOT more energy lately!!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    yup, I watch protein, carbs, calories, fat, sodium, and switch between fiber and sugars. I wish I could keep track of more than just the 6.

Agreed. I do the same.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    i watch sugars.
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm watching my sodium! I've found that my water weight is worse since being in my late 30's, and if I eat over the amount of sodium, I'm guaranteed to gain 5 lbs of water weight in ONE DAY! I'm trying to raise my potassium and lower my sodium on top of low cal. 20 lbs to go, and loving it!!
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options

diddo.. I wish, there was a way to see them all. Kind of like how it is on the phone app but for each item, not just for the whole day
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I try to watch it all...especially fiber, protein, sodium, potassium and sugars. My sugars are usually off the charts, due to fruits, so I don't worry as much about that one as long as I know that I'm not taking in added/un-natural sugars. I also keep track of the vitamin intake. The vitamin intake clued me in to an iron deficiency about 9 months ago that was causing terrible headaches. Went on a multivitamin supplement, and haven't had an issue since - so I try to keep an eye on those as well.

My only wish is that MFP had a couple of enhancements that split out quality fiber (multigrains, etc) and quality sugars. One trick I've found is to create another "meal" column that can be used specifically for those "clean" types of intakes so that I can better monitor it.