Working out and your Period

Options
Hey there girls i was just wondering do you find it harder to do an intense workout when your on your period? i recently got mine and i found its harder to push myself what about you?

Replies

• Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i don't usually find it particularly difficult, although i noticed that my heart rate will be absolutely through the roof during that time. especially if i'm strength training! that being said, if i am really suffering from cramps and the like, i won't even want to get out of bed, let alone work out >_<;;;
  • mooks262
    Options
    Hiya,

I found working out when my period was around was quite exhausting and I knew I was no where near the top of my game. I get quite nauseous when I have my period so I suspect the fear of hurtling up some vomit as I throw a punch in my boxing workout kind of hampered my workouts. What I'm thinking of doing next time is alternating strong cardio workouts and allow myself a cheat for three to four days by doing some yoga and some light walking.

marls : )
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I always feel extremely exhausted right before my period begins. I don't think what you are experiencing is uncommon. Damn hormones!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes. I will be very tired/weak, which can sometimes make a noticable difference in a workout.
  • GambinoGirl
    GambinoGirl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have really bad cramps so I cant even get motivated to work out. I don't work out the first day I get it because it's horrible but after I take a pain reliever and feel better I work out:D
  • ceecee368
    ceecee368 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't usually notice much of a change, although my period tends to all but disappear when I'm working out regularly, so that may be part of it. I guess if you have cramps or nausea maybe you should take it easier - try pilates or yoga or something a bit more relaxing maybe?
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Working out and such makes you feel better! If you get horrible cramps, go for a walk or a jog! It'll help! I know I feel absolutely exhausted when I'm on mine, but I feel that much better knowing I didn't let it hold me back :)
  • ginareejoy
    ginareejoy Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's definitely different...right before, I get exhausted (Tuesday was that day for me, could barely keep my eyes open!). Then I notice it's like pushing all the way through. Tonight was a lil better. Plus, it's just plain uncomfortable, especially with cramps.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I think water and light exercise both help a LOT while on your period...but I don't pay much attention since I've gone a year without getting my period and I always skip several months in between them even though I got my first one when I was 14 lol
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    It sucks so bad, i know how you feel!!!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    You're generally low on iron, so yeah, it will make you tired and more difficult to push yourself. I usually take it easier for the first couple of days and I eat a steak :wink:
  • jennistokes
    jennistokes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. It seems the 3 days before and during are the hardest. I try and do something with less impact like light weights or bikram instead of the usual running and cycling.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    The more you make working out part of your daily life, the easier it gets. Your period symptoms will also get more manageable as you become more fit.

I've been at it about eight months now, and I barely notice my period any more.
  • CruzZ8
    CruzZ8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I almost always feel too exhausted to workout while I'm on my period.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    My legs feel a little rubbery, but I still do the same workout.
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I get very fatigued as my iron drops when I get my period. I don't get cramps very bad anymore, but I find that working out actually helps them. I suggest plenty of iron rich foods, water, caffeine if your cramps and fatigue are unbearable and workout at your normal level for those days.

Oh and whomever said they get nauseous during their period, ginger helps calm that, find some ginger tea or gingerale and give that a try.
  • slolife14
    slolife14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You're generally low on iron, so yeah, it will make you tired and more difficult to push yourself. I usually take it easier for the first couple of days and I eat a steak :wink:

Well this makes lots of sense to me.. I want to work out even more when im on my period. And now I know why I always take Iron pills every other day. But when im on my period I take them every day. I always seem to want to take longer walks or do harder jobs around the house... Its the Iron pills. And here I thought I was wonder women :blushing:
  • lovelee79
    Options
    Yeah I have a very difficult time when its TOM. I usually take it easy the couple days before and the first day of. I get very hungry and tired. You're not alone. Don't beat yourself up about it though. I think its ok to be gentle on yourself during that time.
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I never felt different around that time of month before Mfp.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Your period symptoms will also get more manageable as you become more fit.

This isn't true for everyone. When I was in high school, I was 115 pounds and in the gym around 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week, but every month I had 3-4 days of extreme exhaustion and 2-3 days of craps that would put me to bed. Mine are actually not so bad now that I've had 2 kids and put on a ton of weight. I haven't found it as hard to make myself work out those few days now, unlike when I was truly healthy and in shape.