Working out and your Period

Options

Replies

• Kassieisproud
    Options
    I keep my cramping under control with advil I just felt to weak! But its good to know that im not the only one Thank you lovely ladies!
  • bblonskidesigns
    Options
    yes, always feeling more tired during, but try to push through. usually i'll say, okay, i'll just hop on the elliptical for 10 minutes...if i get the far, i try another few, til finally i just end up doing my whole workout
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Your period symptoms will also get more manageable as you become more fit.

This isn't true for everyone. When I was in high school, I was 115 pounds and in the gym around 2-3 hours a day 6 days a week, but every month I had 3-4 days of extreme exhaustion and 2-3 days of craps that would put me to bed. Mine are actually not so bad now that I've had 2 kids and put on a ton of weight. I haven't found it as hard to make myself work out those few days now, unlike when I was truly healthy and in shape.

There are of course exceptions to every rule, and some people do have HORRIBLE periods ... the first five or six years after I started were miserable too (and I was fit). But in general, the average overweight adult woman can expect an easier time during her period if she starts taking better care of her body.
  • toabetterlifestyle
    Options
    I haven't had a period for about a year due to the fact that I am on the depo (birth control shot) but when I did have it I would take a midol, go workout and my cramps would go away.
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I start taking Aleve a few days prior, then I don't get cramps and workouts are no problem! If you feel sluggish eat a bit more protein & complex carb. I also avoid salt a few days prior, no cold cuts, Mexican or Chinese food. (only homemade)
  • HelloRevvie
    Options
    I get awful cramps. Normally, on my period, I change my workouts around a bit.
    On any other day I would do about 30-60 minutes on the treadmill and at least 20 minutes on the elliptical.
    On my period I do 30 minutes on the treadmill at a slower pace (walking helps my cramps but jogging/running doesn't) and maybe 5 minutes on the elliptical. If I"m feeling super bad, I break my workouts into one or two small segments.
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get so tired and sore, but I am committed to try to do at least something everyday exercise-wise, so I pop a couple of pills and get on with it. I'm nowhere near my best at those times though!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I don't even work out during mine!
  • CajunGypsy
    Options
    Ugh. It's horrible. More so before for about 2 days & then the first FULL day. I haven't dealt with it yet since I started working out regularly, but I know it will be an issue this next time. And don't get me started on what to 'wear' Bahahha... that would take a TRULY private forum! :)

I realized the other day I hit puberty 23 years ago.... it's kind of nice to know I'm statistically closer to menopause than time left having a period ;) And if it's only the half-way mark.... well hell... don't get me started!
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    I'm glad to know I am not the only one that experiences this! I get super tired usually 3-4 days before, and at least the first 2 days in! So basically a whole week! I never could figure out why, but the iron thing makes sense. I push myself to do the workouts even though I am extrememly exhausted. I usually find that after the workouts I fell better, even when I have cramps.
  • sblueyez
    sblueyez Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have one bad day where my back hurts and I'm exhausted and have the general crappy feeling. It hurts to even stand on that day so i usually dont do anything. I find that exercising helps my cramps and I am not sure why. Maybe the release of tension or the exercise endorphins?
  • stablesong
    Options
    I am nearing the end of mine this month. This week has been so hard for me to work out. I get huge energy spikes and dips. I went to the gym during a spike but when I got there, it dipped back down and I just felt exhausted and depleted of everything in me. I've been trying to manage my eating and exercise, but yesterday I just felt so bad I went to bed at 6:00 without even eating dinner, definitely without working out. I think the fact that I ate so few calories led me to eat way more than normal today. The cravings are just through the roof. I am still pushing myself to do even just a little every day.

Does anyone find that Midol/Pamprin makes them tired? It has caffeine in it, but for some reason, when I take it, my fatigue becomes even worse.
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The first day I am dead to the world, so I don't go to the gym. After that I do pretty well. My eating habbits suffer though so I have to take b12 suppliments so give me the extra energy to get through the workouts.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I just tried to do day 4 of 30 day shred and almost died before the first circuit. It wasn't like muscle exhaustion, (I was able to do even more push ups than any other day) it was the feeling that I couldn't get energy to circulate throughout my whole body in general. Make sense? It was like hitting the wall from carb depletion, only worse.
    I'm going to go enjoy a hamburger, homemade with a 6oz lean patty and some serious carbs, and multi vitamins, and try again this afternoon.
    This was a new experience for me - and it sucks. Periods suck, period.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I usually feel a bit sluggish the day before, but when it starts - energy galore....I feel more pumped than ever for some reason.
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's my TOM now, and my workouts have been much more difficult to get through. I have to push harder.
  • DirtyHippieFeet
    Options
    I drink some extra water that week, but aside from it being harder to just get up and work out, my cramps and fatigue are both better during and after my workout.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    no not really...nothing i can recall as noticeable.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i notice if i do workout during mine, I tend to feel so much better after the workout...it alieviates (sp?) all the painful symptoms to the point where I barely feel like I'm on mine anymore.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    There is usually a day or two during mine that I really can't do anything...but it hits me pretty bad...alas.... the other days I DO notice I am weaker in general. I just do what I can...and modify... even if it;s working out at home I still try to do what I can!!!