How to get rid of belly fat over muscle *pics*

Options
A little background:

I am 34 and 5'2". I have had three kids (all naturally, no c-sec). I currently weigh 110.5. I started the 30 Day Shred 10 days ago and just completed Day 8 on Level 1. Here are some pics:

blackberry178.jpg
blackberry181.jpg

I can feel my ab muscles but they are covered by a pouch of fat. I want to get rid of this the fastest way possible!! What can I do in addition to the current workout to melt the fat away?? I eat fairly well and count all of my calories. I was hoping to wear a bikini when we go to Los Cabos on March 8. Please help!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The fastest way would be lipo, the alternative is a consistent caloric deficit. Unfortunately you cannot spot reduce, so you can't specifically target belly fat, just maintain your diet will eventually lose the belly fat
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Burn more calories than you eat.

All the abs in the world aren't going to show unless you get your body fat down.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    A serious cut. but that would make your family life harder, since it requires time and drain you all energy out. Wouldn't recommend. Another protocol that might work would the intermittent fasting - but like acg67 said, you cannot spot reduce.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermittent_fasting

Mainly, that would means :
    - a strict deficit in order to enable lipolysis
    - going very low on your body fat - visually I'd say you have a 28-30% BF, in order yo see your abs, you'll need to go to 15-20% BF

Cardio will help to create a bigger deficit, but won't be the key. Going on weight, that would enable muscle synthesis - thus better visual aspect
    Now roughly, I'd say with a serious protocol, around 8-10 months to get rid of it :)

Source : my own life, currently on cut - from 18-20% BF to 8-9% today (after 8 months)
    Month 0 :
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg841/scaled.php?server=841&filename=plop20120203020736.jpg&res=medium

Month 8 :
    http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg827/scaled.php?server=827&filename=plop20120203020952.jpg&res=medium

Edit ; after some research, my given numbers were too nice :p
    You are around 30-34% BF and you'd need to go to 15-18%

1 kilo of pure fat is around 9000 (from 8500 to 10 000 ) calories, so that would mean loose half your body fat.

You'd need to loose 33 lbs of pure fat - 135 000 calories (people correct me if I'm wrong).
    So I think my numbers are good - loosing that withing 10 months id feasible ^^
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Like everyone said, you can't spot reduce to see your abs as we lose fat all over our bodies & usually you need to have 20% body fat to see a hint of ab definition & 15-18% if you want it appear more visible. Although that is the estimate but still it doesn't guarantee that you'll see abs even if you achieved that percentage. There are some people who despite having low body fat still look kinda soft without a hint of abs although with a flat stomach. I'm roughly somewhere at 20% body fat but still I look soft because I happen to store fat on my hips & belly. It depends on how our bodies store fat.

Based on your weight, I'd say you don't need to do cardio at this stage. You need to concentrate on building muscle to burn fat.
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    How do I burn body fat the fastest? Heavy lifting? I can't join a gym and don't have heavy weights at home. Also, I have no idea what to do so I would need a trainer. This is so difficult. It was so much easier just losing the weight.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    How do I burn body fat the fastest? Heavy lifting? I can't join a gym and don't have heavy weights at home. Also, I have no idea what to do so I would need a trainer. This is so difficult. It was so much easier just losing the weight.

Burning body fat is about creating a calorie deficit, so you need to eat less than you burn.

Don't give up :smile:
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    1 kilo of pure fat is around 9000 (from 8500 to 10 000 ) calories, so that would mean loose half your body fat.
    You'd need to loose 33 lbs of pure fat - 135 000 calories (people correct me if I'm wrong).

Are you seriously telling a lady who weighs 110 lb to lose 33 more pounds? No offense, but are you insane??

h0t_m0m: Read this http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Running or any cardio is a great way to burn off excess weight... although honestly you don't sound overweight. If you already run and have been limiting your fat content, I would suggest possibly talking to a plastic surgeon about the abdominoplasty. It may not be fat that you feel. It may just be excess skin.
  • Blossom41290
    Blossom41290 Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Are you seriously telling a lady who weighs 110 lb to lose 33 more pounds? No offense, but are you insane??

h0t_m0m: Read this http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero :)

he means body fat not overall bodyweight
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options

In conjunction with muscle gain. He's not telling her to drop to 77 lbs, but replace fat with muscle.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    The Insanity workouts I did, in combination with tracking things here nutritionally, really helped me get good results. With my work schedule, working out at home is and has been the best option for me.
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Your only on day 8 on level one. Be patient and keep up the healthy eating and exercise! :drinker: It doesn't happen over night, but take good care of yourself and keep it going......you will be getting results.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a mother of 3, I totally get where you are coming from. Diet is key, eat clean, unprocessed foods (processed foods are made with sugar and salt and all the good things to bloat), and exercise. Unfortunately spot training does not work, however, eat clean and train your core 3x's a week and it will come off (I had the same thing and it took about a year with my second, my youngest is 5 months and I am working on it). Make sure you include planks in your core routine - it works the transverse abdominis, which acts like a corset. And when you work core, remember, core is the abs, obliques, low back, butt and hams (the muscles that help stabilize the spine). Plus, I am a personal trainer and core strength is my passion.

Sorry, I do not endorse plastic surgery. From your photos, I think you truly need to clean up your diet and give it several months. Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Recharged is a great resource.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    In conjunction with muscle gain. He's not telling her to drop to 77 lbs, but replace fat with muscle.

Thank you! lol
  • chadaharvey
    Options
    Have you heard of berpes? Its an exercise full body and it really does wonders for your core. Nothing is over night keep on keeping on. Also do lots of core exercises.
  • ryjar80
    ryjar80 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Seriously 34 % body fat? You must have bad vision and / or guesstimating skills... I'm still a newbie but assuming she has 33 lbs of fat to lose is beyond ridiculous. She looks good she probably just wants to lose around 5-7 lbs of belly fat. Geez anything else you wanna try and make her feel self conscious about? Lord. :noway: I'm sure you're just trying to help but please consider how people may feel about your comments. I read these posts to get helpful advice and information but that just didn't. make sense all to me.
  • snowqueen93
    Options
    I was reading earlier and couldn't respond but had to come back because of some of the answers you were getting.

jenronan1 is spot on. You can be a skinny fat...meaning even though your weight is not high you have a higher fat content. That is 100% due to what you eat, not how much of it you eat. You can be under your calorie count and still be fat. You may still be loosing weight but you will not loose that fat until you eat "clean".

Increase your protein, decrease your fat. Lots of leafy greens and protein with EVERY meal - which should be at least every three to four hours. NO processed foods. Only whole wheats and not too many.

It is 80% nutrition and 20% exercise. That doesn't mean don't exercise it means watch everything you put in your mouth not just for calorie content but for nutritional value.

There are great supplements out there to help. Meal replacement shakes etc. I use one. I am on a body challenge right now and on my way to loosing a good amount of body fat. Message me if you need any more help and I'd be happy to let you know what I know.

Good luck.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce but u can build and tone muscle in target areas. Get a good ab routine... so as the fat reduces in your ab area you can build the muscle. The have plenty online or DVD's...
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    FYI - the best way to torch calories is the cheapest - run. Do interval training: on a scale of 1-10 (1 easiest, 10 hardest), warm up around a 5 for about 5 mins, then start your intervals: Jog at a 7-8 for a minute, then push to a 9 for 30 seconds, then back to 7-8 for a minute. Keep repeating and you will blast the calories.

And as I said before - your diet is key. Stick to more natural foods and balance your carbs, proteins and fats. Look at your plate - 50% should be carbs, 25% protein and 25% fats. Keep up the good work and you will be wearing the suit you want to wear on your vacation.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I just love all the various suggestions. Really gets my heart rate a going.

You don't need to do any specific type of workout, or try to do anything that is over the top, you don't need to try to burn as many calories as possible jumping around to some freaking dvd or try to suddenly become a jogger or runner.

But as alluded to earlier, you need to get your body wanting a reason to burn fat and not other things so much. Running and doing some 500 calorie or "insane" workout would be insane, unless you're running a caloric surplus!

I'm gonna run myself ragged around here. Why did I come to this place. i want to make everyone an online client! ....