Do you consume all of your allotted calories?

Options
Hi, All. I'm new to this site/app...just wanted to know if I'm supposed to be using up all of my calories. I'm finding it difficult to use both the regular calories and extra from exercise.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The concept of not eating all the calories I'm allowed doesn't even occur to me. The only reason I leave <5 on the table is because I haven't found anything that's 1 calorie.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a pig.
  • SerenityKorin
    SerenityKorin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new too. I also find it hard to eat all the calories I'm supposed to! My goal is 1200 a day, plus all the extra that come from exercising. I'm trying really hard to eat healthy low calorie foods, so it feels like I'm always eating and not getting enough calories!
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Yes...I am always mystified by people who find it hard to eat 1200, 1500, even 2000 calories. I eat all my exercise calories back and I still want more. 1200 is nothing!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    The concept of not eating all the calories I'm allowed doesn't even occur to me. The only reason I leave <5 on the table is because I haven't found anything that's 1 calorie.

this. i do my best to eat almost every single calorie i'm allowed. matter of fact, i prefer to see my number a little in the red rather then under my goal.

people get into diet mode and think all they can eat are egg whites and veggies. your body needs more then that. toast with peanut butter, almonds, dried fruit like raisins, and chicken, are all excellent foods to eat, that have plenty of healthy calories.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine and it's worked out quite nicely. (see my ticker down below) :-)
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options

This exactly! LOL
  • dyremior
    Options
    I really wondered that myself, with my exercise it says I should be eating over 2000 calories and I just don't see how I am going to lose weight doing that!!
  • andreacord
    Options
    I eat at or under goal, I find *personally* (wish I could bold this!) that if I eat all my exercise calories back my weight just stays the same. Sometimes I eat into them a little bit, but not all the time. Basically I just let my stomach guide me. If I'm comfortable/full, I stop. I hate that feeling when you've ate too much and you just feel completely stuffed. But if I'm starving I do eat.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes...I am always mystified by people who find it hard to eat 1200, 1500, even 2000 calories. I eat all my exercise calories back and I still want more. 1200 is nothing!

OMG This 4sure!!!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I eat as many of the calories it gives me as I can because, hey, MFP is smart and listening to it worked for me. Oh, and I love food, so that helps me want to meet my calorie goals, too.
  • elo83
    elo83 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Totally eat all my calories. I love food!
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    The concept of not eating all the calories I'm allowed doesn't even occur to me...

^ Well put. Actually the pig part applies to me as well, I'm sorry to say.
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories.
  • ReinventingLisa
    ReinventingLisa Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    It depends. I have my calories set up at 1350 calories but I usually end up eating round 1100-1250 calories. I thought 1200 calories was set too low, but i end up usually eating under my set goal anyways.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options

Ditto. Although at this point I don't reach 2000, I'm not working hard enough for that. lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Most days I'm pretty close, some days I consume more, sometimes less. I don't usually eat less on days I don't exercise, but my daily calories vary. If you averaged it out over time I think it would come out close to what MFP recommends.
  • Larommi
    Options
    I can't. With a low sodium high fiber diet its hard to hit all the calories. I try to get at least 75% of them.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    What? Did we suddenly forget how to eat?:laugh:
    Just eat.
    If you are like me, you did not get fat not knowing how to eat.
    So, yes, eat your calories.
    MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories in addition to our daily calorie goals.
    Eating a McD cheeseburger is better than not eating to goal, because you will stifle progress not eating enough.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories
    more slowly -- and you gain weight.:noway:
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my calories and sometimes whatever my friends might have left over as well. I am almost always hungry, and that isn't a false signal from my stomach, either. I rarely have a "not hungry" day and I am mystified by the idea that anyone can have trouble not eating enough. I mean, most of us get fat from eating too much. :)
  • slrrese
    slrrese Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to this as well. I have 1200 calories plus whatever exercise calories I generate, which is usually around 300 a day. I try to overestimate my calories a little and underestimate my exercise a little. Most days I eat all my calories (allotted plus exercise) but some days I am not as hungry and don't. I have been doing this for about a month and have lost around 5 lbs. I am ok with that rate.