Blood pH

Options
LabRat529
LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
I hear over and over and over again about certain foods that can make blood more 'alkaline' or more 'acidic'. To the best of my knowledge, this is false. The pH of the blood is regulated by the respiratory system. The key component is carbon dioxide (CO2). The chemical equation for the bicarbonate buffering system in your blood is as follows:

(H+) + (HCO3-) <----> (H2CO3) <
> H2O + CO2

(sorry... had to improvise... that's not how you actually write a chemical equation, but that's as good as it gets on MFP)

You notice the CO2 in there? If you need to push the reaction to the right to get rid of excess acid (a.k.a. hydrogen atoms), you breath faster to get rid of CO2. You breath it off.

Conversely, if you need to push the reaction to the left to get rid of excess base, you breath slower.

This system is absolutely wonderful at keeping your body at a pH of 7.4

It CAN be over-powered... but usually it's by extreme metabolic stress (uncontrolled diabetes, for example).

If anyone can show me any scientific evidence (not hearsay, not testimonials, but real science where I can look at the graphs and experimental designs and see for myself if I agree with the scientists' interpretation of the data), I'd be thrilled. If I'm wrong, I'd really like to know.

Replies

• Nitachi
    Nitachi Posts: 142
    Options
    I hear over and over and over again about certain foods that can make blood more 'alkaline' or more 'acidic'. To the best of my knowledge, this is false. The pH of the blood is regulated by the respiratory system. The key component is carbon dioxide (CO2). The chemical equation for the bicarbonate buffering system in your blood is as follows:

(H+) + (HCO3-) <----> (H2CO3) <
    > H2O + CO2

(sorry... had to improvise... that's not how you actually write a chemical equation, but that's as good as it gets on MFP)

You notice the CO2 in there? If you need to push the reaction to the right to get rid of excess acid (a.k.a. hydrogen atoms), you breath faster to get rid of CO2. You breath it off.

Conversely, if you need to push the reaction to the left to get rid of excess base, you breath slower.

This system is absolutely wonderful at keeping your body at a pH of 7.4

It CAN be over-powered... but usually it's by extreme metabolic stress (uncontrolled diabetes, for example).

If anyone can show me any scientific evidence (not hearsay, not testimonials, but real science where I can look at the graphs and experimental designs and see for myself if I agree with the scientists' interpretation of the data), I'd be thrilled. If I'm wrong, I'd really like to know.

There was an issue about this a few months ago between a buff dude and another guy about chocolate milk being acidic.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Rebekah, I am so glad you posted something about this. I've. Wondered about it for quite a while. My understanding was that the buffers keep our blood PH at a constant 7.4 regardless of what we ingest. So I have often wondered how the alkalai blood advocates could get away with preaching that. I will be interested to see if you get any valid response from them.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Rebekah, I am so glad you posted something about this. I've. Wondered about it for quite a while. My understanding was that the buffers keep our blood PH at a constant 7.4 regardless of what we ingest. So I have often wondered how the alkalai blood advocates could get away with preaching that. I will be interested to see if you get any valid response from them.

I'm really hoping someone can explain the rational too... its possible I'm wrong, that I'm over-looking something. If that's the case, I'd like to know. Otherwise, I assume it's a myth.

I am curious how the myth (if it is a myth) got started. Even if its based on pseudoscience, pseudoscience usually starts with a misunderstanding of real science... so where'd it come from?
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    It's all very confusing... I had a problem with being too alkaline and my doctor told me it was because my body wasn't absorbing the vitamin C that I was eating. I think there are a lot of factors that go into this.
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    My understanding is that - to simplify - meat and animal products (protein) make the blood more acidic, while vegetables and grains make it more alkaline. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)
  • LabRat529
    Options
    My understanding is that - to simplify - meat and animal products (protein) make the blood more acidic, while vegetables and grains make it more alkaline. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

My question is... why does this happen, if it does actually happen? I'm a nerd and I think on a biochemical level... I just want to know how these components defeat your bodies built-in freakin'-awesome buffering system :P If they do... and I'm a skeptic... but I suppose anything is possible. I just found out that sugar is an analgesic, which floored me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Nah, your right. I'd like to see how a food is going to change the acidity of the stomach......not going to happen. All food that leaves our stomach is acidic and when in the intestines the pancreas neutralizes that acid, basically all food in our stomach is acidic and alkaline in the intestines......the body controls our pH, like you say.
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You are correct. It is absolute, complete and utter nonsense.

I frequently test people's blood pH, and trust me, what they have had for dinner, does not and could not, affect blood pH one iota. (unless you are dining out on a couple hundred aspirin or tricyclic antidepressants)
    Your henderson-hasselbach equation is right on the money, and unless you have a severe respiratory problem (affecting that CO2), or a severe metabolic/renal problem (affecting that HCO3) your pH doesn't change outside a tightly controlled range of 7.35-7.45. Even if you do have a severe renal/metabolic/respiratory problem your body STILL doesn't allow your pH to change if it can help it, and will compensate like crazy to get it back to where it should be. If the change is too severe to compensate for, then that person is SICK.

Besides if anyone wants alkaline blood, just hyperventilate for a couple of minutes and see how THAT makes you feel.
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The pH actually ranges from 7.35 to 7.45 with an average of 7.4
    Average blood bicarbonate is 25 ranging 22-28
    Average CO2 dissolved in blood is 40.

Ever wonder why you get tired after eating? It's because for every bit of acid you make in your stomach, you pump equal bicarbonate into the blood. It creates an "alkaline" tide in the blood that results in feeling tired.

As far as people saying food changing pH, it can be seen in the urine quite easily but the blood is heavily buffered and it takes alot to get it out of its range.

Reason you can see it in urine is the kidneys filter and secrete acid. Meats and protein digestion results in alot of Uric and Phosphoric acid being excreted in the urine making it much more acidic than normal. Other foods can do the opposite specifically nitrate containing foods such as legumes which induce the kidneys to form ammonia and making it less acidic.
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that the body DOES balance the blood pH, but it uses essential nutrients to do so. So that consistently eating foods that make your body have to continually adjust your blood pH robs your body of nutrients it needs for other functions. Is this true?
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Anyone who consumes meat products will have a more "acidic" blood pH e so often it is slightly below 7.4 .. but NOT MUCH!! Like you said, the bicarbonate buffering system keeps us in homeostatic control and the fluctuations are so little and nothing to worry about.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    I was under the impression that the body DOES balance the blood pH, but it uses essential nutrients to do so. So that consistently eating foods that make your body have to continually adjust your blood pH robs your body of nutrients it needs for other functions. Is this true?

That's what I'm trying to get at. A lot of people think that your body uses nutrients to balance pH and that it uses nutrients needed for other functions, but that was not what I was taught in basic human physiology. So I'd like to know where the idea comes from and whether it's backed by any science.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    What exactly are you looking for. This can be approached from different angles. A study of what?!?!

I'll take a look at the article you linked. Unfortunately, I used my lunch break to lift weights and i need to get back to work... so... I might not have time to read it in depth until tonight.

However... to answer the question quoted above, I'd like a study that shows cause-and-effect. I'll even take a study in an animal model, but something that shows that blood pH changes either acutely or chronically following a acid or basic diet.

If I were to design such a study... I might feed fasted (and therefore hungry) rats a bunch of oranges and then measure their blood pH immediately after and at different time-points for the next 24 hours. Alternatively, I might round up a bunch of college kids, give them 20 bucks to fast, then eat some oranges, and let me take some blood. So something like that... something that reduces variables and shows cause and effect.
  • LabRat529
    Options

Oh. That's urinary pH. That's a whole different ball of wax. As another poster mentioned, the kidneys concentrate things like uric acids, which are bi-products of protein metabolism, which can be due to normal protein turn over or due to eating an excess of proteins. That doesn't mean the blood or the interstitial fluid is outside the normal physiological pH range.

Still... that article definitely helps. Maybe the myth that food can regulate blood pH started with the observation that food can effect urinary pH? If so, the author of the myth missed a critical aspect of biology: the kidneys' job is to concentrate and eliminate waste. Just because its in high concentration in the urine doesn't mean it's concentrated in the blood.
  • DenverKos
    Options
    This is an interesting video:

1.13 - pH - Foundation of Wellness

The pH balance in your body is directly effected by your diet. Learn the science behind acid and alkaline diets. For more bite-sized lessons, click the Learn button.

https://wellnessworks.bloomfire.com/posts/1956-1-13-ph-foundation-of-wellness/public
  • LabRat529
    Options
    The pH actually ranges from 7.35 to 7.45 with an average of 7.4
    Average blood bicarbonate is 25 ranging 22-28
    Average CO2 dissolved in blood is 40.

Ever wonder why you get tired after eating? It's because for every bit of acid you make in your stomach, you pump equal bicarbonate into the blood. It creates an "alkaline" tide in the blood that results in feeling tired.

As far as people saying food changing pH, it can be seen in the urine quite easily but the blood is heavily buffered and it takes alot to get it out of its range.

Reason you can see it in urine is the kidneys filter and secrete acid. Meats and protein digestion results in alot of Uric and Phosphoric acid being excreted in the urine making it much more acidic than normal. Other foods can do the opposite specifically nitrate containing foods such as legumes which induce the kidneys to form ammonia and making it less acidic.

Thanks for sharing!

Is the alkaline tide measurable? As in, can you actually pick up a drop in pH in the blood? And do you know where I could find the studies that show this effect?

As for the urine... yes, I absolutely agree with you. That makes perfect sense to me.
  • insane4train
    insane4train Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition i have only one word to say Homeostasis!
  • DenverKos
    Options

Exactly! If you eating a well balanced diet keeps you in homeostasis, thus not overtaxing your body.
    http://drbenkim.com/ph-body-blood-foods-acid-alkaline.htm
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

This x 11ty billion. Let's not overthink this. Your body, if you are healthy is fully capable of managing minor changes in blood pH and relatively quickly. This is really a non-issue for anyone who isn't hospitalized for other reasons.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    This x 11ty billion. Let's not overthink this. Your body, if you are healthy is fully capable of managing minor changes in blood pH and relatively quickly. This is really a non-issue for anyone who isn't hospitalized for other reasons.

But I LIKE to over-think things :cry:

Seriously... I get that these types of threads aren't for everyone. I didn't post it 'cause I want people to obsess over diet and blood pH. Exactly the opposite. I'd rather people stop obsessing and stop making the claim that <insert miracle food> is making their blood more alkaline.