I want to know how to make weights ????

I want to know how to make weights when we don't have money to buy some and go to the gym.

I want to make home weights equipment but don't know what to do and what to take.

Can you help me please?

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    1. get 5 gal bucket
    2. get heavy crap
    3. fill bucket with heavy crap
    4. ????????
    5. profit
  • busey
    busey Posts: 39 Member
    you don't need weights you can also use bands and your own body weight in place of some weights.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 350 Member
    1. get 5 gal bucket
    2. get heavy crap
    3. fill bucket with heavy crap
    4. ????????
    5. profit

^ THIS
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Depends on how much you're trying to lift. I've seen people use water bottles, milk jugs (filled with water, then water the plants when you're done), canned foods, even frozen meats (in a plastic bag so you have the handle & it's not too cold to hold). There's a place by me called Play It Again Sports that sells used sports equipment. You may want to see if you have a place like that in your area that has gently used, inexpensive gear. If not, you can always start a business :)
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Some info below, or what the guy said above. Just get some heavy stuff or body weight exercise.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/home-workout-equipment/
    Basically, buy cheap stuff. You don't need the brand new state of the art equipment. Dumbells at the very least.
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    Use a gallon milk jug. Apparently they are 8lb filled with water and 13lb filled with sand. And there's already a handle. :)

For small weights you could just use cans of soup, or a 5-lb bag of flour (just put it in a bag or tie something around it for a handle).
  • Depends on how much you're trying to lift. I've seen people use water bottles, milk jugs (filled with water, then water the plants when you're done), canned foods, even frozen meats (in a plastic bag so you have the handle & it's not too cold to hold). There's a place by me called Play It Again Sports that sells used sports equipment. You may want to see if you have a place like that in your area that has gently used, inexpensive gear. If not, you can always start a business :)
    I had no idea what that place was! I'll check it out next time I'm near it.

I usually use water bottles or whatever two things I can find that are about the same weight/shape/size.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    In prison we filled gallon jugs with water.
    Try that.
  • I have been wondering the same thing as I am also on a tight budget. I will be start using the tips given. Thanks!:happy:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    I have used laundry soap bottles 2 dif ways. You can fill them with sand, as much or as little as you want... same with water to use in a pool. Put less water than air in and you have more resistance. I like that the soap bottles have bigger handles. Some of them do anyway, so I find them a little easier to hold onto than milk jugs. If you want something smaller, any plastic bottle (ex.,water bottle) would work if filled with sand.
  • CharityEaton
    CharityEaton Posts: 499 Member
    I buy my flour in 25 pound bags, so before I need it I slip it in a trash bag, wrap with a towel and use packing tape to keep the towel in place. It stinks having to unwrap it when I'm ready to cook with it but it gets me by for a few days!
    I've also used a big bag of cat litter the same way...until I need it!

I have my daughter(she is 5 and weighs about 40 pounds) get on my back for squats.

That 50 pound bag of dog food that I used to make my husband carry up from the garage.....I do it now.....all the way up the stairs every 2 weeks (we have BIG dogs)

I haul firewood up the deck stairs too...pile on as much as I can and carry it up the stairs.

I even dug out my great grandpas old walker and use it as a "dip station" for knee lifts etc....until I found it I used a broom across two chairs to work on pull ups (which I am terrible at)
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    I used to have a couple of hand held weights, but I managed to misplace them in a move. I use whatever is around the house...canned food, water bottles, milk jugs, the baby (yes I lift the baby some since he's about 20 pounds now)...Try places like craigslist for cheep or even free used equipment too.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    You can use household items or check the Goodwill, Salvation Army or even garage sales.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Fill an old duffel bag up with sand, tie it off, and throw that around. You'll feel it quick.

And kids - if they're small, you can bench and curl them. If not, wrestle 'em.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Also -

Shoveling snow and dirt for an hour at a time. That will make you wake up and say "mommy"...
  • Puddykat1026
    Puddykat1026 Posts: 164 Member
    How about filling laundry bags with dirty clothes. You have to finish 2-3 sets before you can wash them. They're stinky so it will motivate you to push through :) I don't recommend with clean clothes or you'll never want to put them away :laugh:

I forgot I get those big ol' bags of dog food & the giant jugs of laundry detergent too. Good tips! You can probably use flour, rice, etc. in bags too.