She thinks she's helping...

Options

Replies

• nannyx6
    nannyx6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You definately know what you are doing.I think she is showing here green horns of envy!!
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Invite her over for dinner make one plate like you have it and cram in as much fat and sugar into the other plate. Give her that plate, When she does not lose weight and you do tell her it must be the cookies.

I know its not fighting fire with fire but it would make me smile
  • GlenWalterGal
    GlenWalterGal Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Ask her, with the sweetest smile, if she does not have children of her own to mother. After all, you are an adult and do not need any mothering and advice on what you eat because you're doing just fine.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    to both the OP and ChevyGrl88- kudos to both of you for not punching these women in the face as of yet. There's such a stigma about eating junk food if you're trying to lose weight that people get all insecure, jealous, and angry at themselves to see you're still "allowed" to eat what you want, while they're stuck with carrot sticks to try and lose half their body weight in the next month. Some people don't know how to appreciate long-term maintenance and how difficult that can be. They're the ones that are going to end up on a chocolate cake binge because they've just tried to stop eating it altogether, and then you can laugh at them when, inevitably, they're fat again. It would be hard for me to not get at least a bit snappy with my replies to them- patience is not one of my better virtues-, but you could try to explain that weight and food should be considered on a relative scale, person-to-person, instead of making blanket statements and assuming everyone diets the same way, though it doesn't seem like they would bother listening since they're so busy being 12.
  • easkey
    easkey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I once worked with a woman who actually slapped my hand when I reached for a piece of ice cream cake that was being served for someone's birthday. As she slapped my hand she said "you shouldn't have that, you are on a diet." All of my co-workers and bosses were there and I was mortified. I just walked away from the celebration and went back to my desk. A co-worker brought me a piece and told me I should eat it before it melted. I told her I wasn't having it and to let it melt. I can smile about it now, but that comment was so insensitive. I don't know if she thought she was being helpful or trying to assert herself in front of everyone. Looking back, I should have told her to go wipe the red lipstick off of her teeth before she had any of her cake, but I couldn't even speak. In reality, I know it wouldn't have made a difference and only would've lowered me to her game.

Either way, it taught me to not tell people when I'm dieting. It's our business what we have, when we have it, and how much - if any! By tracking on this site, I finally feel in control of what I'm eating as I can see the impact of what I eat and my exercise on my calories!

Congrats on the 50! I'm glad you didn't let her comment send you in hiding as my commenter did. Here's to not letting ice cream cake melt because we let others bully us in to not eating it when we know we can!!
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I feel really sad for her, :cry: I've been there, trying to cut the "bad foods" out my diet, struggling, and failing. It's a really heartbreaking thing to go through over and over again. I understand she is stepping over the mark with her comments, so maybe a gentle answer like ..I dont want to lose all my weight and be too scared to eat the foods I enjoy, so I'm learning to have everything I like within moderation so that I can maintain my weightloss and still have the food I like. And from my experience, I have a bigger chance of failing and binging when I deny myself the things i like, and I dont want to live my life in a constant yo yo diet, beating myself up everytime I end up binging on the foods others percieve as "bad".

Hopefully it'll make her think about her method and reconsider doing it the healthy way. And if she just continues, just say I've explained why I've chosen to lose weight this way and I'd appreciate the same respect from you that I've given to you Even though I dont agree with the way you're going about your weightloss, you dont hear me knitpicking you on your diet.
  • jrhm
    jrhm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who go on low carb diets, or some other "cut out that type of food" diet. Sure, they loose the weight, but everyone I know tha has done that put it right back on within months. I love my cookies (not so much the chips) also, love carrot cake, ice cream, and on and on. So, I save my calories so I can have a sweet when I want it without feeling guilty. I don't want a diet, I want a way of life. something I can stick to without feeling deprived. You are doing a great job, wow, 50 pounds! that is fabulous. I had 18 to loose, and have lost 23 and am holding. I stay with mfp to help keep me on track. Congratulations on your success, and ignor your co-worker!
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    sounds like she is jealous of your weight loss, and that is probly why she has started a new diet, and giving you such a hard time. Just ignore her and let her be that way, and she will be more jealous when you can have a cookie and still loose weight, and she will not get a cookie! :laugh:
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Have you tried explaining to her you're not actually on a "diet", per say- that you're just changing your diet in a way that allows you to lose weight and become healthier while eating normally? That you've already lost 50 lbs so it's obviously working for you? That giving up goodies can help you lose weight short term, but it isn't sustainable. I had a couple of people make comments to me when they realized I was trying to lose weight, and although they were skeptical of my explanation, it shut them up. I still get raised eye brows occasionally as I raise a cookie to my lips, but that's easier to deal with for me.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Wow. Do we work with the same woman?

There's a woman at work who decided before Christmas (or so) that she wanted to lose weight. She'll ask me questions and I will answer her honestly... then she argues.

For example:

Her: "I just lowered my calories to 1200 a day. I seemed to have hit a plateau and I want to see if I can get my weight loss moving again. Do you think 1200 is too low? too high? just right? How many calories do YOU eat in a day?"

Me: "I can't tell you if 1200 is too high or too low for your body. You have to just do it and see how it works out for you. I personally eat anywhere from 2300-2500 net calories a day. I know I burn a lot of calories because we work on our feet and are in constant motion"

Her: "Are you kidding? 2300-2500 a DAY? Oh, sweetie.. you're going to get SO FAT eating that many calories. Why on earth would you eat that many?!"

Me: "Um. Well, because I know that's what my body needs. I've been doing it for the better part of 18 months and I'm doing just fine, thank you. There's NO WAY I could survive on only 1200 calories a day. Like I said, do what works for YOU".

Her: "18 months huh? Well, you're gonna get fat. Just you wait. You'll wake up one day and you'll be fat. You should stop eating so much it isn't good for you. Do you want to hear what I eat each day? You could try eating what I eat.. I bet it would help you".

Me: "Thanks, but no thanks. I'm doing just fine thank you".

Her: "You're gonna be fat. I'm telling you. Fat."

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Leave me alone. Seriously. Leave me alone. Go away. Do what you please, but stop telling me what I should do.

Love your respones to this person!

I think all of us have someone like this in their life. I went though the same thing with a coworker as well. In the beginning, she lost ALOT of weight very fast. Like 70 lbs in about 4 months. I have only lost 60 in 9 months. We work at different offices and only see eachother on occasion. The last time I seen her, she said "I don't see what everyone is talking about..you don't look like you've lost anything"

I just smiled and told her I actually am down 60 lbs and 3 sizes and FEEL fabulous!! (she on the other hand, gained back most of her weight...)

Karma is a *****....isn't it?

Congrats on your loss!

She's jealous because she gained her weight back - so what better way to make herself feel better than to try and bring you down?

And what better way to show her than to keep your weight off? ;)
  • chevy88grl
    Options

There's a woman at work who decided before Christmas (or so) that she wanted to lose weight. She'll ask me questions and I will answer her honestly... then she argues.

For example:

Her: "I just lowered my calories to 1200 a day. I seemed to have hit a plateau and I want to see if I can get my weight loss moving again. Do you think 1200 is too low? too high? just right? How many calories do YOU eat in a day?"

Me: "I can't tell you if 1200 is too high or too low for your body. You have to just do it and see how it works out for you. I personally eat anywhere from 2300-2500 net calories a day. I know I burn a lot of calories because we work on our feet and are in constant motion"

Her: "Are you kidding? 2300-2500 a DAY? Oh, sweetie.. you're going to get SO FAT eating that many calories. Why on earth would you eat that many?!"

Me: "Um. Well, because I know that's what my body needs. I've been doing it for the better part of 18 months and I'm doing just fine, thank you. There's NO WAY I could survive on only 1200 calories a day. Like I said, do what works for YOU".

Her: "18 months huh? Well, you're gonna get fat. Just you wait. You'll wake up one day and you'll be fat. You should stop eating so much it isn't good for you. Do you want to hear what I eat each day? You could try eating what I eat.. I bet it would help you".

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Leave me alone. Seriously. Leave me alone. Go away. Do what you please, but stop telling me what I should do.

LOL, too funny

And I should note - she asked me what kind of exercise she should do and I told her "It is best to figure out what works for you and not rely on me to tell you what will work". She comes back a week later and says "Hey! I bought one of those shake weights.. you know? The "As seen on tv" ones? I'm going to use that for 20 mins each day. It'll make my arms look great. Did you see the guy on the package? He looks awesome and I can too. You should buy one. They're awesome".

I told her that's great, but I have a gym membership.

Her response?

Why pay for one of those when you could just use the shake weight?

*rolls eyes*
  • chevy88grl
    Options

For example:

WTF? Holy crap - kudos to you for not totally freaking out on that person!! What a twit. lol

Usually I just walk away from her and avoid her like the plague. LOL
  • chevy88grl
    Options

For example:

Damn I'd strangle her! Sorry! X

LMAO. Yeah. She's annoying.... I figure a day will come when what she's doing isn't working and she'll REALLY need and want help.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    There is a lady I work with who is aware of how much I have lost and that I am continuing to work on it. She has recently renewed her goal to lose weight but she's doing it by just cutting stuff out (which is her choice). She knows that I use this site and I watch calories but ever since she started her new diet, she's harping on me more. I think it's because she cut stuff out but it's really annoying...

For example, I had a cookie the other day and she said "that's a lot of calories" and the next day I had a chips...baked individual bag (90 calories) and she said "I don't think that's on your list"

One night she asked what I was doing and I told her I was making cookies for my class and she said "Oh, well I think that's way over for you today"...I was a bit snappy with my reply, telling her that I still had calories left to which she said "uh huh sure"...so i felt I had to defend myself by telling her how much I burned running and what was left..

Iknow she's trying to help and it's also because she's struggling and unhappy with her method but it's really getting on my nerves...

People who Bit and Moan about people getting on their "nerves" get on MY Nerves! If someone has the NERVE to "Jump" in your business UNINVITED, You have the RIGHT to tell them to Back-Up...IF YOU have the NERVE!
  • RBRoy
    RBRoy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I want support but at the same time I don't want people questioning what I do or don't do. It's tough, especially when your loved ones are trying to help or support but it comes across as nagging. Do what's right for you and hang in there. You're doing a great job. Some of the suggestions above are great ideas of what to say; my only advice would be don't be ugly or rude to your coworker. She's trying to lose weight as well and she's probably lacking confidence with it. Support her as you'd want to be supported. GREAT JOB!
  • SharClark40
    Options
    That is so hard - with family you can tell them to stfu and that's fine. But someone you work with...She DOES think she means well. Perhaps calmly point out to her that while you appreciate her "pointers" and that you hope her plan works for her, you've already lost 50 pounds so this seems to be working for you. Or just smile and nod. Or give her back as good as she gets. That's a bit snarky, but if she brings out the "Best" in you, why not. OR you could kill her with kindness. Praise her on her efforts and make suggestions and applaud her efforts. She may be looking for praise and encouragement! If you deflect her criticisms with praise, perhaps she'll back off!
  • KNMD
    KNMD Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    She may be unaware that you're not dieting. You've made a lifestyle change, which is wholeistic and not limited to a list or plan but to a philosophy.

A simple, "if I were dieting, I'd agree with you, but I've changed my life so I can enjoy the little pleasures as long as they're little and not the focus."

As a pretty strict vegetarian, and half-arsed vegan, I get the "Oh, you can't have that." To which I reply, "Of course I can, I decide what I put into my body. I can eat what ever I want, just like you." I also like to follow with a discussion about the philosophy of Choice. Everything we eat is a choice and a choice to partake should not be made without an evaluation of the consequences.

Good luck.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    In my opinion she isn't trying to help at all... she is simply being a b*tch.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    "Isn't it amazing how I've managed to lose 50lbs so far without your input"

or,

"you do your thing & I'll do mine, I'm 50lbs down so I can't be doing too wrong, how much have you lost?"

Wonderful answers. Honestly, she sounds SUPER ANNOYING and someone I'd say "Please do not food police me." I think her insecurities and DIET mentality are going to hurt her but tell her you'd rather not discuss weight and food issues at work. It sounds harassing to me!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    what I would say to her:
    "I understand you are trying to help, but I am doing very well and I know what I am doing. Your commenting on everything i eat is extremely irritating to me, so please stop. I don't need constant surveillance and judgment for what I put in my mouth. I am an adult and can manage my own diet on my own. Thanks for understanding".

If she persists, I would leave the immediate vicinity whenever she makes comments. Make no bones about how irritating, condescending and basically annoying that is.