Any teachers trying to lose weight?

Options
I'm a 28 year old kindergarten teacher. I've been good this month. It has been hard, especially with all the birthday parties in the classroom and the stress from Parent/Teacher meetings.

Any other teachers trying to lose weight?

What grade do you teach? What do you find hard about dieting at work?

Any other teachers feel free to add me. Let's support each other.

Replies

• kms7035
    kms7035 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a student teacher, but I'm there every day so I guess it counts!

What's hard for me is continuing to find interesting, healthy things to pack for lunch. I've been living on sandwiches, carrots, and yogurt and it's really getting old. Haha.

And reward day...so much ice cream. :X
  • 5Btieden
    5Btieden Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I work in a preschool and my BIGGEST challenge is the school lunches. We serve family style and the teachers have to eat what the children eat. That means that sometimes I take in A LOT of calories just because I am starving and can't wait to eat until nap time. I hate having to adjust my dinners just because of what we ate at school. We can get a doctors note to give to the corporation allowing us to eat differently in front of the kids but it is HIGHLY discouraged.
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes I work s wn assistant in second grade. I try to bring leftovers or a smart one meal. Leftovers eat my calories though. I don't eat the cupcakes or snacks, I bring my own.

I could not image having to eat what the kids ate. To doesn't seem right. Even if you brought healthy food, like saladsz?
  • 5Btieden
    Options
    Yes it just infuriates me! If you look at my meals in the week, I try to just eat half a bun when we have a sandwich or eat more of the fruits and veggies but sometimes I am starving. A salad would make me feel so much better sometimes! I was talking to my mother in law who is also a teacher and she says I should call the Dr. and just ask for a note. And we all know those school lunches are so healthy :grumble:
  • JenLost
    Options
    Wow, I could not eat what the kids eat. It would not help at all. I always bring my lunch. Depending on how tired I am when I get home I usually make dinner and then a little extra to take to school the next day.

If I'm making a salad I try to make some more for 2 more meals. I will make meatballs and freeze them so all I have to worry about is the pasta. Sometimes when I'm very tired, it's a sandwich and fruit. Sometimes it is soup for a week and that will go with a sandwich or salad. But it is all very simple.
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am a full time special education instuctional aide. I understand completely! We always have students coming around and passing out treats for their birthday.. either I graciously decline or accept and recycle.

In addition, we have a weekly treat day in the lounge.. either I skip the lounge completely or eat in moderation.. I'm lucky as there are several of us that are eating healthy and losing weight. It helps to have the support and accountablity.

Feel free to add me if you'd like

Dawn
  • stephelan
    Options
    I work in a preschool that does family style SNACKS but not lunches. That's kind of ridiculous. I mean, I understand giving them the right message to eat what they are given and try everything. And it's totally cool that you can SHOW them but I wouldn't like not being able to pack my own lunches.

My job actually works in my favor a lot. It forces me to have a snack three times a day and also to eat lunch at a normal lunchtime hour. However, it isn't good when it is someone's birthday (not just in my class but others because the treats often find their way into the kitchen) or when another class cooks something and wants to share. AHHHHH!! One of my biggest weaknesses!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm an elementary LMS. I like that my job is fairly active (reshelving books, etc - not too much sitting). I don't have the birthday parties in the library, so it's easier for me - when they stop by with cupcakes, I take it, thank them, then pass it on to one of the other teachers, the custodian, or toss it. My whole school knows I'm trying to lose weight (I walk the halls in the morning for 30 minutes when I get there, so they see me doing laps, lol) so they have started making sure our treat breakfasts have healthy options, which I appreciate, and a couple people have joined me walking in the mornings, which is cool too. You can add me if you'd like!
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am a kindergarten teacher too. I am struggling too.Just can't get back on track. This month I had 6 birthdays. OMG cupcakes for days.
    My class is very young this year and that is stressful in it self. Knowing that they need to be reading by the time they leave me but all they want to do is play. As they should. Stress eating is a killer for me.
  • luv2eduk8
    luv2eduk8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher too. I teach first - fifth grade technology.

My biggest challenge is the water. I try to drink as much as possible, but it is hard to find a chance to go to the bathroom. It's not like you can just leave the classroom whenever you want. It does help that the computer lab is attached to the library and sometimes I can ask the librarian to cover my class for a minute, but sometimes she has a class and can't cover.

I make sure I have a snack before lunch and then one after school so I am not starving at dinner time.

For lunch I usually take a Lean Cuisine (I know the sodium is high). It is convenient though. I have also done sandwiches or egg salad. I also try to stay away from the treats in the lounge.

My school is doing a "Biggest Loser" competition which helps with motivation too.
  • judyengele
    Options
    I am a preschool teacher and have wanted to lose weight for quite some time!!! Have been staying away from the teachers lounge where there is always tons of treats... STRESS! is a big part it...
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I teach 5th grade. The stress has been the hardest part for me since I'm a stress eater. Texas has changed the standardized test this year to make it even more "rigorous." The state hasn't said much about the new test beyond that so schools are in a tizzy trying to guess what it might be like. At least my school is. :) We meet all the time and are forever compiling data. Teaching feels like the secondary part of my job this year.

Another big problem for me is finding the time to work out. Teaching can be all-consuming so I've been working on setting limits on what I will do at home. That has helped a lot.

Water intake is hard since bathroom access is limited. I try to get half my water in from lunch on, and then the rest at home by dinner.

I eat either frozen meals or sandwiches. By the end of the school year I don't want anymore of either.

I can't imagine having to eat what the kids do. That would totally derail me.
  • teresastrowz46
    teresastrowz46 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    wow sounds like there are lots of preschool teachers! i am as well!! i teach a few different sections of half day preschool and early childhood family education the rest of the time. i'm 28 too. the one thing that's challenging to me are all the goodies the teachers bring. serioulsy...is it necessary to have brownies, bars, candy, cookies, etc. almost every day in the lounge? usually once a month they do a big thing to celebrate all the teacher birthdays and when it was the month of my birthday someone mentioned what they were going to bring and i said, "really? why does it always have to be fattening baked goods! how about some fresh fruit? that would make me totally happy!" and that's what they did for that month...but the next month it was the cakes, donuts, etc. all over again. grr! but as a teacher, you burn lots of calories cuz the kids keep you on your toes! plus i take the kids to our big gym that we have and we have this giant climber and lots of little bikes...so most of the time, i get in the climber with them. i also have discovered that i can fit on one of he bikes that is made for a little one to drive and another little one to ride in the back. if i sit i the back, my legs fit perfectly at the pedals. so i get on the bike and i give kids rides that are too small yet to pedal. i'm trying to take advantage of the time i have! of course, some days it's just impossible to pass up a delicious treat, but i usually won't unless i know it's a gym day!
  • 5Btieden
    Options
    All 3 of us in my classroom used to bring treats. Now 2 of us are trying to lose and the 3rd brings treats. I will say "Seriously?!?! Who brought treats!!!" She will laugh and say that we can have a little just don't go over board. One day I made her give me the recipe so I could plug it in here. The little taste I ended up eating wasn't worth it in my opinion. We call her Betty Crocker and up until recently, we LOVED it when she brought treats!! She makes cake balls for a side business.

Anyway....there are no big halls to walk for me and I can't leave the building on break so I have to get my exercise in the mornings before my kids all get up. I rarely can exercise at night as I run them all over for activities. Teaching is stressful and I am also a stress eater. Its so hard not to! The other day my coworker that is also trying to lose, texted me that she got a candy bar after school. I went home and ate some vanilla yogurt with granola. Maybe it was the same calories but I knew it was healthier than a candy bar. She made sure to tell me that the candy didn't make her feel any better. Neither did my yogurt but it was a better choice for me.
  • farcry66
    farcry66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am a high school teacher in the UK, I teach ages 13-18 so not sure what grades that equates to in the US. When I was pregnant I feel into the habit of sitting down to teach, especially as lots of what I do is on the computer. I have invested in a wireless presenter which means that I don;t have to stand at my computer when delivering lessons which has improved not only my step count, but my teaching as well. I have some quite big classes as well so I have 'lost' one of the chiars from my room so sometimes I have to stand and walk around the whole lesson as there physically isn;t a chair to sit on.

Struggling with my 13yr olds at the moment as they are delievering presentations so in those classes I am literally sitting there marking them as they go which is having a knock on effect to my step count!

My main issues are break time. We have a lady who makes tea for everyone and we get 2 biscuits with it. I am trying to ignore the biscuits, not all that sucsessful.
  • becktoriatralala
    becktoriatralala Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I teach 7th graders science....I know I can do better, but here is what is working for me:
    1. I don't sit at my desk all day. I am up and down and across the room and squatting next to students to help them....and sometimes we do stretches/yoga at the start of class when they are squirrely....
    2. I use a GIANT insultated mug (like the huge ones at the gas station) and fill it with ice and water...goal is to drink it all then add more water to the leftover ice and drink at least 1/2 of that
    3. pack my own lunches and snacks...I am soooo exhausted by the time I get home, often around 6 or 7 at night (after I've been at school since 6:30/7 am)...I try to pack lunch for the next day and log it in MFP before I eat dinner...
    ORRRRRR
    If I stay really late at school and run out to grab dinner I try to get an extra subway sandwhich or arby's salad for the next day...lunch=done!

These help, but I hopelessly fail at these most of the time:
    Staying out of the breakroom - - we have peopel scheduled to bring in breakroom snacks everyday...mmmm frosting and graham crackers...I eat that by spoonful becuase once I start I can't keep my paws off it....but I log ever bit I put in my mouth as best i can
    And I also try to walk laps inside the school. This has happened like once this school year, but I felt good after!

What works for you guys????? I need to change things up a bit for sure! I hope this helps all of you! A healthier, happier teacher is a better teacher! Its all for our students!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Middle School Counselor here!!! It is hard especially with so many teachers and other staff blaming stress, birthdays, time management etc for their unhealthy eating. And the staff cafeteria does NOT help at all. Pure high calories fattening food!!!

Yes, it's harder. Yes, it takes discipline and time management. Yes, it's doable and worth it!!!

I'm down 31 lbs and have so many people asking me how. I even have 1 teacher who asked how, then tells me he doesn't eat that bad, doesn't snack and doesn't eat the majority of the mexican food in his family. But he eats down in the cafeteria on a daily basis, doesn't attempt even walking for exercise because he says he has health issues and has already had a heart attack!! But the meds will make him all better because he knows he's doing the right stuff and it"s just not working. Bull *@&$!!!!

That's the hardest part is the excuses. I have an equally stressful job, I hear about the 7th grade pregnancies first, I'm the first to know that it was a loaded firearm found in the locker and the first to be in a meeting with administration about kids getting suspended and arrested!!!

But I'm doing it!!! I'm done with excuses and I will succeed!!! And so will all of you!!!!
  • jessica_johnson2011
    Options
    I teach 8th grade. I find it most difficult to drink the water that I need to drink b/c of no potty break!!!!

I find it helps to drink plenty of water - I don't drink anything except water throughout the day. Even giving up diet coke helped a lot. I drink a protein shake for breakfast. I eat healthy snacks like almonds, apples w/ peanut butter, etc. I take my own lunch!!! I work out before work when possible, which is not always the case b/c I have to get up at 4:30 a.m. due to my crazy schedule/family obligations/1-hr car ride to work. I also work out after work. Again, I have to squeeze in time when I can. I am currently doing the 30 Day Shred b/c it is short and I can fit it in easier than other things. I pass on the cake and other junk food that seems to always be readily available.
  • becktoriatralala
    becktoriatralala Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I guess I am lucky...small building and one restroom is across from my room! =D
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I teach 5th grade and the biggest struggle for me is being able to drink enough water. The students come into the classroom at 7:55 and my planning time is from 8:30-9:20. So, I don't get to go to the bathroom again until after bus duty at 3:30. So, there is no way that I can drink throughout the day.So, I usually drink all of my water between 3 and 11pm :frown: As for the goodies and treats that people bring, I graciously decline or take it and throw it away later. Many of the teachers get together in the multipurpose room and do fitness/aerobic videos on Thursdays and we have a walking track for the students outside. Many of the teachers walk in the afternoons. I don't because I prefer to run and lift light weights. I would suggest for people who don't have workout sessions at their school, that they ask the principal if they can start them. Over half our school does the workouts including our principal. Most of the schools in my district does this also. At my last school, the workouts were twice a week. Happy healthy teachers are more productive is the philosophy behind it.

What works for me is to set a schedule for grading papers, lesson plans, etc. and stick with it. For example, I grade papers and enter grades one day a week before school and during my planning time. I stay after school late 1 day a week and come in to work 30-40 mins early everyday so that I can get everything done that I need to without taking it home (unless its a 3 day weekend). This allows me to leave at 3:30, which leaves plenty of time to exercise, cook, and do other stuff. It is easy for school to take over your life and stress you out if you let it. Been there and not going back :smile: