5 Things never to eat

Options

Replies

• CharityPearce
    Options
    I agree except for that word "never".
    How about 5 foods in extreme moderation?

There is nothing I am willing to just give up totally. Forget that.

^This! If I say never...it is an invitation to my rebellious, evil, inner self to sabotage me. Hehehe. But really... pretty much true. : )
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Good tips, but one of the biggest failures in dieting is treating it like you're depriving yourself. If you truly enjoy those foods, they are ok on rare occasion and in modest quantity. They're definitely not a regular part of a healthy diet, but if you compeletely black ball them you're more likely to fail in the long run because of the sense of depriving yourself.

Last week I found myself severely tempted late in the evening by the cinnamon rolls I made for the family. I debated if it was truly a nutrition craving for carbs (sugar) or if I just wanted to eat them out of boredom or emotions. After 1/2 an hour, I decided to eat a fat free pudding cup. Two hours later the craving was still there for the carb-loaded sugary confection so I relented and ate it, making up for the calories by exercise.

Some of the healthy alternatives out there today work well for the "do not eat" foods, too. For instance, try a whole grain flat bread or pita instead of actual bread, or experiment with the different loaves out there. I've become a label reader in that department, but have also learned that usually the bread I find that's healthier doesn't last as long as white bread and will quickly get moldy.

My personal favorite for salad dressing is Kraft Fat Free Zesty Italian. It has a zip to it that keeps the salad interesting and is low calorie. As for the sugar, I don't add sugar to anything and gave up drinking soda altogether, but I've heard a lot of good things about Truvia.
  • Darlene4prayers
    Darlene4prayers Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live but I get cooked brown rice in a package at Aldi's. The sodium is low not like some packaged foods and very easy to fix.. Squeeze the package, open the corner, put in microwave for 1 minute and you have great tasting rice.
  • witchywillow
    witchywillow Posts: 143 Member
    Options

totally agree with this :happy:

15348747.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Gargwin82
    Gargwin82 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

5 Things to never eat

-bleach
    -arsnic
    -rat poison
    -dog turds
    - barbed wire

but only in extreme moderation :P

I want to know where you live where those are considered food ;)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Funny how I've made a lot of those changes...
    Brown rice is way tastier than white, so that was an easy change. White bread and white sugar have the same problem, they've been bleached. I've started using Ezekiel bread, it's really tasty! A little pricey, but worth it. However, I've found I have a sensitivity to yeast, so I can't use it often. I use stevia for a sweetener, organic and unbleached of course. I can't completely give up my creamy dressings, but I thin them with vinegar or water so that they spread farther and I use less. As for fried food, it's a weakness. Nothing tastes like it. But I try to limit it to once or twice a month now.

Never is a strong word. Use with extreme caution is more appropriate, I think! ;)
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds eating creamy dressings, fried foods, white rice, white bread, and using sugar ON OCCASION. Never is a loaded word. We're real people who live in the real world and occasionally we are going to eat these things.

Brown rice sushi is never going to be my cup of tea, nor brown rice with my Indian food. White bread, which I normally despise, is the only thing a club sandwich or blt tastes 'right' with for me. Creamy dressings in moderation aren't that bad, and there are lots of brands that make healthier creamy dressings, like Annies. I will never put anything but sugar in my coffee, anything else is WRONG. Fried fish and fried wings are always going to be delicious and I still eat them sometimes.

Now, I eat way less sushi than I used to, like once a month instead of once a week. Same with Indian food. I have a blt or club at about the same rate and use about a quarter of the amount of dressing I used to on my salads. I still drink coffee with sugar and half and half every day, but I now have two cups instead of about a billion like before. I have fried foods no more than once a week, usually less.

Realizing the changes you need to make versus totally ruling foods you like out is the better way to go, IMO.
  • jhunny31
    Options
    I really don't agree, I have eaten white rice from time to time and have still lost weight. I guess it really depends on the person to be honest.
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

5 Things to never eat

-bleach
    -arsnic
    -rat poison
    -dog turds
    - barbed wire

I want to know where you live where those are considered food ;)

Its tough economic times

Im from australia though, we have giants rats that jump, sharks patrolling our shores and stingrays that can kill famous tv presenters. Barbed wire is considered the norm around here :P
  • netztoy
    netztoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'll never deprive myself to the things I enjoy...you just gotta have self control and not over indulge!!
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I will never forgo all foods, just as some other people, I just work it into my day. Not to say that I will ALWAYS have white rice, but if it's there and it's been cooked for me, sure. I do try to be mindful about what I eat all the time, but am not going to ever say anything is out of the question.

Fried food - sure, I'm still going to have that - but not that often, and am going to watch portions.

french fries - heck ya, I'm still going to have them! Again, once in a while. We also got the Acti-fry which doesn't use any added oil but they still get nice and cripsy, yum.

White bread - rarely. It doesn't taste as good to me, but once a year when I do Xmas breakfast, I use white bread. Oh wait, I love white baguettes. lol

Etc. etc. Everything in moderation - and not that often, for me. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lol at not eating white bread and white rice and saying whole grain and brown rice is better
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

5 Things to never eat

-bleach
    -arsnic
    -rat poison
    -dog turds
    - barbed wire

I said "give up", implying that I eat whatever "foods" I desire - again, FOODS.
    The diet Nazi's don't much like the fact that I eat so well having earned such results.

Don't fall for the BS.
    All foods are OK but in moderation.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Brown rice and whole wheat pasta may require "mind over matter" for some when first using it. I like to cook both in all or part chicken, beef or vegetable stock. Really adds a nice layer of flavor (to complement whatever else you're serving), and makes the transition easier. As others have mentioned, the nutty flavor is great, and it really grows on you! I can eat brown rice alone, whereas I find it hard to do that with white rice, which I see only as a vehicle for something else...
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options

5 Things to never eat

-bleach
    -arsnic
    -rat poison
    -dog turds
    - barbed wire

Lol ... Pmsl. I would say, taxidermist, that you ave stuffed that argument!
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Cutting foods completely is the fastest road to failure (at least for me).
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I made mexican rice with brown basmati the other day and it's really good.

I also eat Barilla Plus brand pasta. It's multi-grain but you can't really tell. Give it a try.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

It's all about moderation...not elimination. :D

Unfortunately you are incorrect. There are people out there like myself, where moderation does not exist and total elimination is medically required.
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I agree with this. Moderation is always the key. Once you say no you are setting yourself up for failure. But that is me. Everyone is different!