losing friends over weight loss jealousy?

Options
One of my online friends (who is also a real life friend) unfriended me this morning claiming my posts were 'too damn depressing'.

I skimmed through my posts unable to find a depressing one, especially recently as I've lost a good amount of weight and am thrilled and motivated to lose more.

And then the thought occurred to me...do you think she unfriended me because my weight loss success was depressing to her??? I *have* been posting a lot about what I'm eating, what exercise I am doing and how much I am losing (can't help it! I'm excited!)

She is doing the Weight Watchers thing and lost a few pounds but none recently. She doesn't stick to it. She drinks a lot of alcohol (wine, mixed drinks, etc) and snacks a lot.

I've lost a total of 45 pounds...10 pounds during this year alone.

Do you think this is a jealousy thing? Perhaps she's jealous that I am losing weight and she isn't?
Am I going to experience a lot of this as I continue to lose weight?

Replies

• harliquinnraver
    Options
    bumping this...looking for answers/input.
  • crixmix
    Options
    I think the majority of people are on here for support, to be motivated, and get inspired. I should hope this is something you would give your friend, something she would also want to gain from your friendship.

She gave you an answer, you don't buy it...and to be honest, how can anyone else know how she is feeling. And do you want to be friends with someone who just deletes you from their 'friend-list' rather than ask you why you seem down?

If this is an actual friendship you want to keep, talk to your friend....because she WILL see this post.
  • giantsfaninvt
    giantsfaninvt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If this is an actual friendship you want to keep, talk to your friend....because she WILL see this post.

I totally agree with this.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    its not on this site lol

and shes ignoring my attempt to reach out to her to find out whats wrong.

really suspecting shes throwing away a friendship over jealousy.
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    jealousy is quite possibly a large factor here. its an irrational feeling but its a strong one nonetheless. if you are good friends than you should probably talk to her about it, because maybe she doesn't even quite know the reason as to why. point out to here that she could be just as happy as you are now if she focused just as much.

in the end though, some people feel threatened when people change, especially when they change for the better. Its sad, and sometimes people should just grow up and be mature about it and happy for the other person, but some people just are not ready to do that, and there is nothing you can do to change them.

hope this helps a little bit. Dont give up though, you are doing this for you and thats all that matters.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    I think the majority of people are on here for support, to be motivated, and get inspired. I should hope this is something you would give your friend, something she would also want to gain from your friendship.

She gave you an answer, you don't buy it...and to be honest, how can anyone else know how she is feeling. And do you want to be friends with someone who just deletes you from their 'friend-list' rather than ask you why you seem down?

see, thats the thing! im NOT feeling down, im not depressed. she seems to find all of my happy, inspired, weight loss posts depressing. my positive posts seem to be bothering her.
  • Zaggytiddies
    Zaggytiddies Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good for you for inciting jealousy! I wanna do that!
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If she is behaving like that then my advice is...sack her off and move on :)

She is obviously feeling crap about herself and is finding it depressing that you feel good about yourself... a good friend would tell you that and ask for your support and tips.

She obviously needs to grow up
  • jaxnjosh
    jaxnjosh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Please be aware that some people are just like this. Im sorry to say but it happens. Was she really such a great friend in the first place if she can just unfriend you like it was nothing.
    Don't take her insecurities personally. Don't loose a wink of sleep over this.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    LOL its not a good feeling though. waking up to find that one of your friends suddenly hates you? its a slap in the face. but screw it, im going to keep losing weight to make myself happy and healthy and no amount of jealousy is going to stop me.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    LOL its not a good feeling though. waking up to find that one of your friends suddenly hates you? its a slap in the face. but screw it, im going to keep losing weight to make myself happy and healthy and no amount of jealousy is going to stop me.

Good! Don't let her win by letting her make you feel bad. Let her act like a kid and wallow in her own annoyance and spit the dummy all she likes whilst you look and feel fab.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    thanks folks, youre definitely right. a REAL friend would be happy for me.

im just going to keep doing what im doing and get healthy. i have a good support network. i <3 MFP!
  • TheHorribleBlob
    TheHorribleBlob Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't let it get to you. Seeing someone succeed where you're having trouble can be hard, and she may find having you on her friends list to be really discouraging. And the fact that you two know each other in real life, only exacerbates the issue. Wouldn't you feel bad about yourself if your friend was doing better than you at something you were both working towards? Give her a little space. I'm sure she'll come around.
  • stuey39
    stuey39 Posts: 159
    Options
    Honesty time, I'm new to this site but still felt the need to reply. Two years ago I really hit rock botttom and took an overdose!!! not because of my weight or size but I felt like a failiure!! Reallity check - I'm not and after a serious row off my stunning wife and kids I'm here now to tell the tale! You say about depressing, your friend(?) knows nothing, I'm here with like minded people and feeling great.
    You do not need friends like that, bin her/him not worth it -you are
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    a REAL friend would be happy for me.

This!

Great job on your progress. Keep it up!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe she meant they were too depressing to her because she reads about your sucess and it only makes her think of her non success? People word things weird sometimes
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Well... if she were a really close friend and you want to keep the relationship... I'd suggest keep talking to her, but if she's going to give you the cold shoulder till she drops a pound, then she's not a very good friend if you ask me.

Women are often hard to get the answer out of, some more than others :P

But... if she is jealous of you, which I'm not sure... than figure out why... Did you start losing weight before her? Causing her to join Weight Watchers?

I know my boyfriend's older n younger sister were on Weight Watchers and lost a good amount of weight, but I did it naturally after they lost 30 pounds in a couple of months... and now I see them and they're back to what they use to weigh... and they always feel like they should've done it with me that way. Maybe somewhere in her mind she's doubting her own weight loss.
  • leeleetai
    Options
    OMG, do not feel bad at all! I went through this over the summer with a life long friend of over 15 years. When I first started losing weight she constantly told me I could never do it. I should just enjoy being a big girl ( and while I have no problem with any size that i am, for health reasons - I needed to get this done) As the weight fell off it seem the more just blatantly rude her comments became. So there were a few months I didn't see her, when she comes over to my house for girls night. She told me infront of 4 of our mutual close friends, that my weight loss was a joke, and I was being fake. I looked at her puzzled. She says "you keep saying your doing it for your health, however - I just don't see that as acceptable. Look at me I have been told for years to lose weight or I am going to get sick. You know what I do, I just keep active and nothing ever happens. You just worried about so cute all the time. Vanity is a sin you know?" I was caught so off guard i did start to cry. Something that never happens. Our other girlfriends tried to take her head off and then eventually kicked her out of my house. I was devestated. Everything she said was wrong, but why would she be saying such hurtful things. She even took it as far as making snide subliminal comments about it on facebook and twitter. it wasn't until one of the same 4 friends talked to her privately. This is when she admitted her anger, hate and jealousy about me losing weight and how shse has tried and it never worked.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    i started losing weight and then i stalled a bit. then she joined WW and lost a few pounds and hasnt lost anymore since. and then i lost a significant amount (under my doctors supervision) and then suddenly my mood improved, i felt good about myself, became determined to lose the rest of my excess weight and generally became happier.

she invited me and a few of our friends over to her house (later this month) for a 'girls night in' (movies, games, snacks, drinks) and when asking us for food ideas or special requests and diet limitations that people may have, i asked for a low cal, low sugar option if possible (she loves to cook and wanted to know what to make for people who were attending) and she ignored me but agreed with someone else who suggested pigs in a blanket. way to be supportive. :/

and then i woke up today and she wants nothing to do with me and is refusing to talk to me. it really does seem to be a jealousy issue. but honestly? i dont want friends who wont be supportive or happy for me when i am trying to get healthy. my mom has diabetes and i dont want to go down that same road.
  • harliquinnraver
    Options
    OMG, do not feel bad at all! I went through this over the summer with a life long friend of over 15 years. When I first started losing weight she constantly told me I could never do it. I should just enjoy being a big girl ( and while I have no problem with any size that i am, for health reasons - I needed to get this done) As the weight fell off it seem the more just blatantly rude her comments became. So there were a few months I didn't see her, when she comes over to my house for girls night. She told me infront of 4 of our mutual close friends, that my weight loss was a joke, and I was being fake. I looked at her puzzled. She says "you keep saying your doing it for your health, however - I just don't see that as acceptable. Look at me I have been told for years to lose weight or I am going to get sick. You know what I do, I just keep active and nothing ever happens. You just worried about so cute all the time. Vanity is a sin you know?" I was caught so off guard i did start to cry. Something that never happens. Our other girlfriends tried to take her head off and then eventually kicked her out of my house. I was devestated. Everything she said was wrong, but why would she be saying such hurtful things. She even took it as far as making snide subliminal comments about it on facebook and twitter. it wasn't until one of the same 4 friends talked to her privately. This is when she admitted her anger, hate and jealousy about me losing weight and how shse has tried and it never worked.

wow. your 'friend' had some serious issues. good job on losing the extra baggage (the weight you lost AND her, of course)! :)