A little help please

Options
Anyone want to look at my dairy and tell me why I'm GAINING inches in my waist? I'm not on my period, I don't feel bloated, and I'm pretty sure if it's muscle under the fat I'd be gaining weight as well. Then again maybe I am gaining weight. I haven't weighed myself in 4 days.

I've gained about a full inch to a 1.5 inches since I started Turbo Jam and actually trying to eat things that didn't come from a drive through. I think my thighs are getting bigger as well :(

Replies

• Fitness_4_Jess
    Fitness_4_Jess Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    While I didn't do Turbo Jam, I have done TurboFire and I had the same things - I was gaining inches, but not poubnds. But, guess what - it is kind of a good thing. That means you are dropping the fat and adding muscle instead. When you first start doing a program like that your body will lose its "detox pounds" before you start really gaining muscle. Keep at it as your body starts to recreate itself into a lean machine. Don't get discouraged! Keep at it and you will be awarded with a lean and toned body you earned.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    well no offense but I saw you post on a Mcdonalds thread and you said you dont care whats in it and eat it ...so maybe its the junk food?
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    When you work out, your muscles retain water to help them heal/grow - the inch gains could be due to water retention. Keep it up for at least a month and see if it settles down. Also make sure you're drinking enough water (seems counter-intuitive but works!)
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    One other thing (I just looked at your diary) is that you seem to eat a lot of processed food and eat out a lot - you can't control what goes into your food when you don't cook it yourself. It might be worth replacing at least one meal a day with a fresh wholefood option, as processed food contains a heck of a lot of sodium, which contributes to water retention and health problems.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yep, seeing all the pre-packaged meals and fast food, I'd say that off the bat, your sodium content is probably off the charts high.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling sore from exercise? When I feel sore, I retain water and get bigger for a bit until the soreness goes away. It doesn't feel like I'm turning into a water balloon, but that's what happens!
  • beach_chelle
    Options
    seeing a lot of fast food and pre-made stuff. while i am a member of everything in moderation band wagon i do think you may want to indroduce some fresh stuff in. maybe a salad at lunch, a banana or apple on the go. also some people don't log your their water but if that is all the water you are drinking i would really suggest upping that intake. you would really be surprised how much better it makes you feel.
    good luck!
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of pre-packaged stuff but your sodium doesnt' seem too too bad, I did also notice a lot of breads and malted stuff, is it possible you have a gluten allergy or intolerance? A friend of mine has Celiac's Disease and she can't eat ANYTHING with wheat, barely or rye, nothing malted either or she gets really badly bloated and feels like crap for a few days. Try cutting back on your wheat and stuff like that for a few days and see if that helps. Just a thought.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    While I didn't do Turbo Jam, I have done TurboFire and I had the same things - I was gaining inches, but not poubnds. But, guess what - it is kind of a good thing. That means you are dropping the fat and adding muscle instead. When you first start doing a program like that your body will lose its "detox pounds" before you start really gaining muscle. Keep at it as your body starts to recreate itself into a lean machine. Don't get discouraged! Keep at it and you will be awarded with a lean and toned body you earned.
    I don't want to look like a 12yr old boy :( I want an hour glass waist line. If that's what Chalene is gonna make me look like I'll find another program.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    One other thing (I just looked at your diary) is that you seem to eat a lot of processed food and eat out a lot - you can't control what goes into your food when you don't cook it yourself. It might be worth replacing at least one meal a day with a fresh wholefood option, as processed food contains a heck of a lot of sodium, which contributes to water retention and health problems.
    I can't cook my own food.

1. our stove doens't work
    2. last time i tried to cook sometime out whole kitchen caught on fire (smoke damage, fire damage, and the overhead heater pretty much melted)
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    Are you feeling sore from exercise? When I feel sore, I retain water and get bigger for a bit until the soreness goes away. It doesn't feel like I'm turning into a water balloon, but that's what happens!
    My arms haven't felt normal in weeks. I can barely lift or move them without them feeling numb or weak
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    Last time I spent my daily food money on bananas they were eaten within 3 hours of arriving home by my mother, my son, and i'm pretty sure my step father sold them to the neighbors.

My family doesn't believe I need to get into a whole fitness thing. I get talked about and embarrassed whenever I pass up fried chicken for dinner or taco night (which is VERY hard mind you because I LOOOOOOVE tacos).

Also, my sodium is under the daily allowance. Unless MFP is lying to me. Which I wouldn't believe. If that's the case then I'll lay off of frozen food and fast food and just drink protein shakes all day.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    Oh and I drink 6-10 glasses of water a day. I just usually don't put it in MFP because I put it on FitBit (they have a way for you to measure it in cups, ounces, and ml as opposed to just cups here).

So it may look like I'm skipping water when really I'm drowning myself.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    well no offense but I saw you post on a Mcdonalds thread and you said you dont care whats in it and eat it ...so maybe its the junk food?
    OBJECTION!
    Evidence inadmissible and irrelevant!
    And counsel is badgering the witness!

OBJECTION OVERRULED!

Oops.....
    He nailed you.....:wink:
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    OBJECTION!

OBJECTION OVERRULED!

Opps.....
    He did?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    OBJECTION!

OBJECTION OVERRULED!

Opps.....
    He did?
    Seriously, our results reflect our actions, so cut out some of the processed foods.
    I do not eat right 100% of the time, but it's not to validate bad eating but realistic eating for me.

How well would my progress be if I ate perfect?
    Better!
    How well would my progress be if I got discouraged and gave up?
    Worse.
    That's how I look at it.

Good Luck....
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    OBJECTION!

OBJECTION OVERRULED!

Opps.....
    He did?
    Seriously, our results reflect our actions, so cut out some of the processed foods.
    I do not eat right 100% of the time, but it's not to validate bad eating but realistic eating for me.

How well would my progress be if I ate perfect?
    Better!
    How well would my progress be if I got discouraged and gave up?
    Worse.
    That's how I look at it.

Good Luck....
    Umm...okay?
    I can only eat processed foods unless someone else cooks. In this house it's safer to eat processed than what my mother cooks. I mean a gallon of cooking oil and greasy tacos vs 500 extra mg of sodium.
  • HorrorChix89
    Options
    But it's fine, i'll just stick to what I'm doing. If I continue to gain than it's my own fault, right? Right.

Unless of course I go to eDiets and get food deceived weekly.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I can't cook my own food.

1. our stove doens't work
    2. last time i tried to cook sometime out whole kitchen caught on fire (smoke damage, fire damage, and the overhead heater pretty much melted)

I haven't actually looked at your diary but a tuna salad or a chicken salad sandwich for example is far better than take out. You can even do a jacket potato in the microwave with beans and a little bit of cheese. Perhaps if your not sure about cooking, that's where you could start asking for help.

Good luck. x
  • platosonsgirl
    platosonsgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Subway all the way then. McDonald's salads. Are you able to put a small stash of healthy snacks in a locked cabinet in your bedroom or do you have some sort of space at work like a desk drawer, cabinet in a staff room or locker? Del monte fruit cups. Rice cakes. Peanut butter. Just some ideas.