Yes. You CAN eat 'normal' food! (my rant.)

Options

Replies

• glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    do agree to a large extent with what you have said ....however I am a 59 year old woman whose metabolic rate is pretty low owing to my age and my job being sat on my butt.... and arthitic knees which hinders excercise apart from walking..... so in order for me to lose weight..... as my allowance is at the lowest 1200 calories.....I have to fill up on plenty of veggies and fruits which are low in calories or I would be so hungry I would crumble.So really its all about doing what works for you which is the beauty of this site and as long as you get what you want from it then all goals are met.
    Keep going and doing what your doing its working for you well done.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    You CAN'T eat processed foods and expect things to be great. Just saying

Yeah, this is wrong.

I can't believe this topic is still going. What have people been talking about for the last 10 pages :tongue:

Ate this x3 last night. OMG.
    2012%252B-%252B1

Woke up this morning. Not dead & not fat. Amazing...
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Depends on how much of it you're eating. My body is adaptive enough to be able to handle a Snickers bar, or pizza, or Hot Pocket, every now and then. I wouldn't expect great things if I ate only Snickers, pizza and Hot Pockets, but since more than 80% of my diet is healthy and I'm meeting my nutritional requirements... I'm going to enjoy my weekly pizza and daily fun-sized Snickers, and on days when I'm absolutely stumped on what to have for lunch, I'll have a Hot Pocket.
    I'm just saying those of us that eat nothing but pre-packaged foods like Lean Cuisine or Marie Callender's
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Yeah, this is wrong.

I can't believe this topic is still going. What have people been talking about for the last 10 pages :tongue:

2012%252B-%252B1

What IS that? o.O
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I agree. While I have definitely increased my fruits and vegetables, I don't go out of my way to pick organic. I have changed my diet to I eat less processed but I'm not opposed to it. I have found success by rounding out my diet and moderation of high cal/fat foods. When asked what I do I always answer "Eat better, eat less, move more!"
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU!! I agree, and the "you must eat only 'health' food FOREVER NOW!!!" mentality is why I have been starting and stopping on MFP for over a year now.

Now that I've realized that I can have a little of that awful "normal" food now and then and it won't mean that I'll be fat forever, it's much easier to stick with logging and not get discouraged and give up. I'm eating in a way that I could be comfortable eating for the rest of my life - AND I'm losing weight. who'd've thunk it?
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You are sooooo right! 'Normal' is the only way for me. Thanks for saying it so clearly!:drinker:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :heart:
  • treekins
    treekins Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Haha thank you!
    I eat what I love; I'm just smart about it. I used to be 60lbs heavier; I know the consequences of overdoing the treats...but the consequences of not having treats are worse...I get discouraged and eventually give up! So, when I feel like eating a brownie, I DO! :)
  • Pebbles536
    Options
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have been trying to explain this to my hunny who gives me the evil eye if I ask for anything he thinks I shouldn't be eating. :grumble:

Eat Better, Move More!
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this thread! I have found that I can even eat at fast food restaurants and stay under goal on calories if I make smart choices. Hint: If the place has chili, it's usually in a very moderate portion, and is typically a good choice. : ) I dont' buy any organic. It's expensive and I'm cheap. lol I have started stocking more fruits and veggies, and I try to remember to make a sandwich if I'm going to be out of the house during lunch most days. I can use whole wheat bread and healthy turkey or something and add lots of veggies. I keep things in the house that are adequate substitutes for the ice cream I want, but sometimes I have a small bowl of ice cream. Just plan well. Thanks for the awesome topic!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Yeah, this is wrong.

What IS that? o.O

Maple cheesecake with Maple flavoured peanut butter on top
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Saving to read later :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Processed crap isn't "normal" food to me. I don't like the way I feel after I eat it--physically or mentally. So why would I eat it?

I'm very happy with my healthy options. I actually enjoy them more.

I find it very amusing that so many are so self righteous about the processed stuff they eat; it's like you're looking for validation. I'm just happy that I actually ENJOY healthy foods. My bowl of oatmeal this morning may have had the same amount of calories as an Egg McMuffin, but I know that in the long run, steel cut oats, blueberries, and ground flax seeds are WAY better for my body than the McMuffin. Calories aside, the actual foods themselves are waaaay better for you.

I'd rather have a baked sweet potato than some fries. Honestly.
    It has NOTHING to do about being "self righteous". It has to do with NOT fighting against weight gain by FORCING the a person to deny themselves foods that they like to eat. You'd be less likely to die from a car accident if you didn't drive. Or even risk much less of a chance of getting muscle injury by NOT working out or doing physical activity. But that wouldn't be practical for a lot of people. We like our "normal" foods because it's food we ENJOY eating. Take enjoyment out of life, then what are you living for?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Processed crap isn't "normal" food to me. I don't like the way I feel after I eat it--physically or mentally. So why would I eat it?

I find it very amusing that so many are so self righteous about the processed stuff they eat; it's like you're looking for validation. I'm just happy that I actually ENJOY healthy foods. My bowl of oatmeal this morning may have had the same amount of calories as an Egg McMuffin, but I know that in the long run, steel cut oats, blueberries, and ground flax seeds are WAY better for my body than the McMuffin. Calories aside, the actual foods themselves are waaaay better for you.

It has NOTHING to do about being "self righteous". It has to do with NOT fighting against weight gain by FORCING the a person to deny themselves foods that they like to eat. You'd be less likely to die from a car accident if you didn't drive. Or even risk much less of a chance of getting muscle injury by NOT working out or doing physical activity. But that wouldn't be practical for a lot of people. We like our "normal" foods because it's food we ENJOY eating. Take enjoyment out of life, then what are you living for?

IDEA Fitness member

Great post!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Agreed!

Be right back. I am about to break my fast with some skinny cow ice cream. ZOMG!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Yeah, this is wrong.

2012%252B-%252B1

Um....what is it? :huh:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    This post really resounds with me.

I used to really really try to live to the ideals of the holy church of the ORLB (at one point I was vegetarian) and then the paleo brigade - low carbs! All natural! All hail the chief of raw dairy!

Then I realized I was still overweight, my cholesterol was getting high, and I was still eating too many calories through eating nutrient dense (but organic veggies! raw sugar! whole fat organic dairy!) foods.

I've been approaching my goal weight at a sustainable rate not really giving a damn about whether it's organic, or clean, or any of that happy horses*it. Does it fit my macros? It's fair game. Sometimes I even eat in excess of my calorie level! Rebellion!

You know what's absolutely great about this? I can eat at restaurants, I can travel with no issues, and I can LIVE MY LIFE without being a preachy SOB to everyone around me. Oh and I can lose weight and improve my medical markers while doing it. (side note; I'm also a very active person which affords me more calories on awesome foods).

WINNING...and sitting here drinking non-organic hot tea flavored with Splenda.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

I used to really really try to live to the ideals of the holy church of the ORLB (at one point I was vegetarian) and then the paleo brigade - low carbs! All natural! All hail the chief of raw dairy!

Then I realized I was still overweight, my cholesterol was getting high, and I was still eating too many calories through eating nutrient dense (but organic veggies! raw sugar! whole fat organic dairy!) foods.

I've been approaching my goal weight at a sustainable rate not really giving a damn about whether it's organic, or clean, or any of that happy horses*it. Does it fit my macros? It's fair game. Sometimes I even eat in excess of my calorie level! Rebellion!

You know what's absolutely great about this? I can eat at restaurants, I can travel with no issues, and I can LIVE MY LIFE without being a preachy SOB to everyone around me. Oh and I can lose weight and improve my medical markers while doing it. (side note; I'm also a very active person which affords me more calories on awesome foods).

I'll clink your cup with my Diet Pepsi.......................cheers!

IDEA Fitness member
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

I'll clink your cup with my Diet Pepsi.......................cheers!

IDEA Fitness member

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: