Give me something interesting to do with Eggplant

Options
13»

Replies

• Kellyffm
    Kellyffm Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Parmesean! Slice the eggplant into approx 10 slices, grill or fry in a little olive oil until golden brown. Layer in a cake pan, cover in your favorite spaghetti sauce, top with low fat mozerella cheese and bake until bubbly. I made one that served 5 people and it was approx 300 cals per serving.
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Some of these recipes sound awesome. I need to try a few.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Make a lasagna spinoff with it. delicious.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Interesting to do...virgin... *backs away slowly from getting myself in trouble
  • sseketa
    sseketa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Eggplant Tomato Tian

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds of eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
    3 onions, thinly sliced
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil
    3/4 teaspoon of salt
    1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
    1 pound of plum tomatoes cut into 1/4 inch slices
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    Non-stick cooking spray

Equipment:

2 baking sheets
    1 large baking dish
    1 large skillet

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray the 2 baking sheets and baking dish with nonstick spray.

Arrange the eggplant on the 2 baking sheets and then spray with cooking spray. Put into oven until soft, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven.

Spray skillet with cooking spray and add olive oil, set over medium-high heat. Then add the garlic, onions and sugar. Saute until soft and golden brown, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Arrange the now softened eggplant in the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the basil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Top with the onion mixture from the skillet. Sprinkle the remaining basil, salt, and pepper on top. Arrange the tomato slices on top of this in a single layer. Top with the cheese.

Bake until heated through and the cheese is light golden, about 23-25 minutes.
    It makes 6 huge portions, each of which have the following nutrition information:

123 calories, 5g total fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 19g total carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 4g protean, 86mg calcium

I paired it with spaghetti noodles and it was wonderful. I also cooked some small chicken tenderloins with rosemary, but they were hardly needed. This is a wonderful dish.

The next day I put one portion with a can of tomato sauce, heated it up and then used it as a pasta sauce.
  • sublimepanda
    Options
    Roasted eggplant is the BOMB.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Slice the eggplant crosswise in about 1/2 inch slices. Parboil in salted water until just tender. Layer in a casserole dish, topping with layers of sliced tomato, diced onion, cheese (can use reduced cal); repeat. Bake at 350-375 for 30 minutes. You can add other sliced or chopped veggies or browned, seasoned meat if you like.

It's also a great addition to stir-fries when chopped and sauteed in a little bit of EVOO. Develops a nice nutty flavor. Eggplant is delicious!
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Use in a vegetable curry!
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    This is my fav way to enjoy eggplant!

From skinnytaste.com (which is a FANTASTIC resource for "light" recipes without sacrificing taste)...

Lighter Eggplant Parmesan
    Servings: 8 servings • Time: 60 minutes • Calories: 265.3 • Fat: 12.4 g • Protein: 14.1 g • Carb: 35.4 g • Fiber: 4.4 g

1 large eggplant (2 lbs)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    12 oz fat free ricotta
    1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Pecorino Romano
    1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
    1 medium egg
    2 cups reduced fat mozzarella (I used Sargento)
    3 cups homemade tomato sauce
    salt

Start by making the sauce if you don't have any already made. While the sauce simmers, slice the eggplant into 1/4 inch thick slices. Lightly salt the slices and put in a colander to release excess moisture for about 1/2 hour. Lay on paper towels to soak up any extra moisture.

Preheat oven to 450°. Brush eggplant lightly with olive oil on both sides and place on cookie sheets. Bake for 20-25 minutes, turning half way through until eggplant is golden brown.

In a medium bowl combine ricotta, egg, parsley and 1/4 cup of grated cheese.

In a 9x12 baking dish, put a little sauce on the bottom of the dish and put a layer of eggplant to cover the bottom of the dish. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, mozzarella cheese and sauce. Add another layer of eggplant and repeat the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and sauce until everything is used up. Top with sauce and the mozzarella cheese and the remaining grated cheese.

Cover with foil and bake until cheese is melted and everything is bubbling, about 30 minutes at 400°. Remove foil and bake an additional 8-10 minutes. Take it out of the oven and let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    You could slice them like fries, add some olive oil and bake them and use marina for dipping.
  • coreykantola
    Options
    caponata salad.
    Classic italian dish.
    Dice the following
    eggplant, celery, red onion, roma tomato

now sautee the individually with just a little bit of good extra vergin olive oil. until golden brown, remove from heat and let stand.
    in the same pan sear off som geato olives(nice blak olive) and some capers. remove from heat and cool.
    now mix all ingredients and pour in some good balsamic vingar and sprinlke a small amout of coco powder. toss and serve.