Give me your tips for healthy hair!

Options

Replies

• ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Maybe a rumor, but ppl keep telling me that all the supplements like fish oil, cla, dha, flaxseed oil and vitamin d and calcium, are making my hair strong and healthy.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I stopped using shampoo in April and its the best thing I've done for my hair. I use conditioner instead, scrub it like you would with shampoo and rinse thoroughly. It's just as clean or cleaner than it was when I was using shampoo.

Seriously, it rocks. I never get split ends ever.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I tend to use too much and all over xD

Anyone take biotin and see changes?
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Hair One from Sally Beauty Supply. I have been coloring my hair for 13-14 years and this is the first thing that has made my hair happy. They have formulas for all hair types, it's like Wen, but on a budget.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    i haven't used shampoo for almost 3 years. I use WEN - it's a cleansing conditioner. Everyone says my hair looks amazing (super healthy)

www.chazdeanstudios.com

I buy it from QVC though, it's cheaper that way.
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started using moroccan oil. It has CHANGED MY HAIR. Love the stuff. I can't believe I just found out about it. Fantastic stuff, my hair is soo soo soft now!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    One thing I read YEARS ago about Cindy Crawford is that she would pick a weekend where she had no plans and wash her hair, then coat it in conditioner and wrap it up in a bun and leave it on ALL weekend before washing it out. I've never done the whole weekend, but I do it every couple of months where I will wash it and leave the conditioner on over night and wash it out in the morning. It seems to help :)
  • lightstruck1
    lightstruck1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    make sure your shampoo (if you use) and your conditioner is sulfate free. I use Whole Foods brand. Also deep condition it every week or or so, try not to use heat tools (blow dryer, straightener, curler, etc) that much since that causes a lot of split ends. Also try natural hair solutions (i.e. online you can look up a lot of hair masks that use things you can find in your fridge like avocados.)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I have very dry curly hair. Here's what works for me:

- Wash once a week using a non-sulfate shampoo and a good conditioner. Rinse the conditioner out with cold water and leave a little in.
    - NEVER use heat-- air dry only!!
    - Never ever brush.
    - Style with pure aloe vera gel and Moroccan oil.
    - Rub coconut oil wherever and whenever it seems dry-- usually into the scalp and the ends every other day or so.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I am getting pretty satisfied with my nutrition, exercise, and health now. Got it under control and perfected :D

Time to move onto other things! I have long hair, but is dry and prone to split ends. Any tips?

So far I got this:

Biotin can help (got some for super cheap)
    Adequate protein and fats for repair (and omega 3s)
    Try not to wear a ponytail too often, or to bed, or too tight
    Wash hair only every other day
    Shampoo only roots, condition ends

Any others? :D
    (if any of these are not true sorry I am learning :D Usually I shower 2 times a day and wear it up often along with straightening. Fixing the problem now and hoping for pretty long hair for summer!)

ETA: I currently have little split ends and do not need a haircut since I just got a trim. Just looking for tips to keep hair as healthy as possible ^-^
    i do all of these! no wonder i have amazing hair!
    oh, to add to the list. ..lol . don't dye or iron

my hair is completely virgin and everyone absolutely loves my hair! :wink:
  • wjranch
    wjranch Posts: 152
    Options
    The old saying "you are what you eat" holds true for your hair and nails also!

Healthy balanced diet, rich in Omega's and essential fats and within 3 months your hair will show it!
    I wash my hair daily... I have RED hair that is naturally VERY curly... I blow dry and straighten it daily. My shampoo & conditioner of choice is John Frieda Frizz Free. Though I do switch it up about once a month to keep from getting too much build up.
    A trim of split ends every 6 to 8 weeks and I have no trouble. My hair shines, is silky soft and I receive many compliments from men and women alike about it.

There is no top secret forumla or guarded secrets... Take care of yourself, and it will show!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I took biotin for 3 months and didn't notice much change in my hair but it did make a MAJOR difference in my skin. In some people taking biotin can have a side effect of cystic acne and holy crap it did a number on my face. It took me 3 months to figure out it was the biotin. I was freaking out and trying everything to make it stop. Finally after extensive research on acne forums I came accross an informative thread about "Biotin". I stopped it immediately and within two weeks my skin had calmed down. Unfortunately, it left me with some pretty bad acne scars that are fading but ever so slooooooooooooowly.

This doesn't happen to everyone taking biotin, I was one of those lucky few. But if you start breaking out - toss it!
  • jedavis824
    Options
    Use a heat protectant on the days you style with heat. I style with heat nearly every day and Nexxus' heat spray has helped protect my hair against split ends. Get trims often so that the hair that is growing is healthy. I only shampoo the roots (though obviously this rinses down onto the rest of my hair) because just my roots get greasy and only condition my ends because, again, my roots get greasy.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    These are all great tips... I just want to add that you can wear your hair in a bun - it will keep it out of your face and protect the ends. I'm also trying to grow my hair out :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Sulphate-free shampoo (I like Live Clean) & a good conditioner (try Ion Effective Care Treatment if you have access to a Sally's).
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have very curly hair (Corkscrew) and I have not used shampoo in years. I do not color, dye or heat my hair. I condition daily, I have to our then I can not get a comb through my hair. I am not sure about your hair type but many shampoos stripe her hair of your natural oils.

I read a book on this that can help you, no matter your hair type its called the Curly girl. It has tips for all hair types. IT even has recipes to make your own shampoos/conditioners etc.

Good Luck!

2521768.png
  • dharju
    dharju Posts: 12
    Options
    So the whole world has replied to this and now I am. I also am a hairstylist but don't think it's a hair cut you need. BEFORE you shampoo put a nickle sized amount of olive oil in your hair starting at the scalp and working you way down , then brush it ALOT. leave for 5 mins or while you get your shower stuff together, then hop in and shampoo and condition. You only need to wash your hair once a week but take time working your way there. 1st week every other day and on the weekend not at all and brush it every night like you mean it. 2nd week wash it every 3rd day but still get it wet and condition on the 2nd and on the weekend no wash again. even if you work out just wet it down and condition. use the shampoo you like but I do recommend using natural products because some of the stuff out there is just way to strong, so it is over washing your hair which is making it dry, and all the drugstore conditioner is just plastic that is coating your hair so it will LOOK healthy but with plastic on the hair follicle no oil can get in there to make it HEALTHY for real. I have helped A lot of clients get their REAL hair back.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    i haven't used shampoo for almost 3 years. I use WEN - it's a cleansing conditioner. Everyone says my hair looks amazing (super healthy)

www.chazdeanstudios.com

I buy it from QVC though, it's cheaper that way.

I stand by the above.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Try to limit how often you flat iron. Heat can damage and make the hair weaker. when you do, use a good thermal potection serum (paul mitchell shinny serum is awesome) Get a good multivitamin; eat a balanced diet with pleny of water.

Here is a trick I like to use:

once a week (my hair is oily) I put my hair into two braids and coat the braids with olive oil (coconut oil is best, but I am allergic to it) lightly and then go to bed. When I wake up I shower and wash my hair and it helps.

You can also go to your favorite salon and get strenthening and conditioning treatments for not too much. Get regular trims too.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten some good advice. I learned a lot from the Long Hair Community forums - longhaircommunity.com

They have great tips for care, styling, etc. My advice: only wash your scalp; your length doesn't need shampooing often. Condition the ends. A spoonful of apple cider vinegar in a cup of water is a great rinse. Don't rinse it out - the smell will dissipate as the hair dries. If you want to shampoo less, you can use conditioner as shampoo.

No heat at all - no hair dryers, flat irons, curling irons, etc., except for once in a great while for a special occasion, and then with a heat protectant spray. Avoid shampoos, conditioners, and other products with silicones, dimethicones, or anything else ending in "-cone". It just coats your hair and eventually makes it dull.

Jajoba, coconut, and olive oil are great to massage into your length and then braid it and leave it on overnight. Don't wash out the next day - just condition as usual and it won't be oily. Avoid brushing your hair - only once a day, at that. Use a wide tooth comb most of the time. Always comb from the ends and work your way up. Never "drag" a knot out with the comb. You'll just make it worse.

An easy style for work, gym, etc., is the lazy wrap bun. Google it for easy tutorial videos. I wear my hair this way every day, and it only takes about 30 seconds to do. I have thick long hair and it stays put even if I jog.

Healthy long hair takes some effort. Treat your hair like antique lace and you'll do fine. Good luck!