How much water do I HAVE to drink to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    drinking water will help weight loss because a lot of people eat more when they are dehydrated, and usually what they are eating is sugar. Also, water helps banish bloat. If you are bloated the number won't go down on the scale as much as it should. Try drinking at least 6 glasses of 8 oz, if you can, drink 8-10 glasses. But 6 oz is definitely the absolute minimum.

If you can't drink plain water try crystal light, herbal teas and drinks like Trop 50 which are about 50% water anyway. Also, try artisan waters, they usually taste better than tap and poland spring.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I've had to work up to drinking 8 glasses of water a day, but OK with it now and am drinking a lot less diet coke and decaf coffee. I have noticed that when I drink plenty of water I rarely get hunger pangs and also the condition of my skin has been vastly improved.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    None. Drink what you like - tea, coffee, fruit juice, sodas, soup, fruit juice, watery fruit and vegetables, stews - your body doesn't care where the H2O molecules come from. So long as you're not dehydrated (water is a pale straw colour, but note vitamin B can make it dark yellow) you'll be fine.

Caffeine is NOT a diuretic, however alcohol is!
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Throw a lemon or cucumbers in it to jazz it up. I found a profound difference between how much energy and hunger I have, and how differently I feel overall depending on how much water I have consumed.
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should see a doctor if water makes you sick. Or maybe try some filtered water.

It's all in the mind. LoL I'm just used to sodas and not even a lot of that, so you mix the two and I feel almost grossed out. I only drink filtered. The only thing I enjoy drinking a lot of is milk, but that's not good. lol
  • ojell
    Options
    I drink 120-140 oz a day, or right around a gallon. The more overweight you are, the more you are supposed to drink. :)

I didn't know this.
  • ojell
    Options
    I dont like drinking water but I have found that if I do it at regular intervals it is easier than trying to down alot at the end of the day

A couple of my friends have mentioned this too. They say drink a glass every time I've gone to the bathroom, or set a timer to remember. My mom says I've always been this way. ugh.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    They say to drink half your bodyweight in ounces each day...

That sucks. LoL That's a lot! haha

I agree! LOL

When my run instructor told me that information it took a few mins to scrape my jaw off the floor. I think at that time I was drinking half a fat cats body weight in oz per day not my own weight...lol
  • ccsick
    ccsick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I like to float cucumber slices in the water, makes it very refreshing. Esp. in the summer.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    I don't track or drink 8 cups a day. There's plenty of water in many food you eat. For example, I eat Cream of Wheat just about every morning,,, direction is this,, 3 tbsp of farnia to 3/4 cup water.. There's water in it already after is is prepared and ready to eat!

I just noticed. Go back to all posts,,, did you notice those who lost alot disproved this 8 cups a day myth? while those who lost a few say drink alot? Trust me,, there's LOT of water in food, even food that grew from ground,, apple has lot,, orange has alot,, anything juicy itself is water.
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Be careful too though, watch that your electrolytes don't get wiped out by too much water, but that doesn't sound like it will be a problem for you....just be careful. Have seen a person taken to the hospital for just that, her water intake was extreme.
  • cmiles23
    cmiles23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big drinker of anything, and to be honest I'm not very fond of water. I know this is terrible, but I have to be honest.

I can typically go through the day and literally maybe drink 3 - 8 oz glasses all day.

This is clearly a problem.

Sooo I'm gonna try and FORCE myself to drink nothing but water and MORE of it! But considering that usually makes me feel like I want to puke, I wanna know how much I absolutely HAVE to have in order to lose weight.

I'm assuming the typical 8-8 oz glasses. Anyone lose weight on less?

IF DRINKING WATER MAKES YOU PUKE THEN I CAN IMAGINE YOU WILL LOSE ALOT OF WEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO IN ALL SERIOUSNESS YOU KNOW YOUR BODY NEEDS WATER WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT, SO JUST DRINK IT, AND ANYONE THAT CAN TELL YOU DRINKING X AMOUNT OF WATER WILL MAKE YOU LOSE X AMOUNT OF LBS IS AN IDIOT.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    You probably feel like you're going to puke because you're drinking too much at one time.

My solution to getting in water has been to carry a bottle around with me every where I go. I start as soon as I get out of bed in the morning, and finish when I go to bed at night.

By no means do I get in the half my body weight in ounces volume, I'm content with getting in 100 oz per day.

I also use Mio in a portion of the water I drink, as well as having a glass with each meal.

It is hard at first, but I found it gets easier over time.
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Have you tried low cal squash or herbal teas? You can get some amazing flavours for practically no cals, and have them hot
    or cold.
    I try to mix up what I'm drinking so I don't get bored.
    I don't mind tap water but even I struggle without a dash of squash lol!
  • love2cycle
    love2cycle Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least 64 oz of water a day. There are days when I don't feel like drinking water, but I make myself, and usually feel better. I drink coffee, too, so I'm not just a water only person. My son bought me a special glass that comes with its own straw, and for some reason that makes me want to keep it filled and drinking out of it. So if you have your own special vessel to drink out of, maybe that will help. I think our bodies need water, so I think if you get used to drinking it, you will not find it so distasteful. If you would like an example, my mom hates water, and prefers only diet cokes. She is in terrible health right now, and her teeth, the ones she has left, look gross. Incentive? I think so! Also, I exercise a lot, so water is important in that respect. God made it, it can't be bad.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Half your body weight in ounces is the key.
    If that's true,, no way will I drink 15 cups of water a day.... I strongly believe that this so-called half the pound in oz is a myth... there NO PROOF that you need all that water in form of tap or spring water. 250 pounds divided by 2 equals 125. 125 oz divided by 8 oz (one cup) equals 15.63 cups,, no thank.
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also follow the half the body weight in ounces, but I do that because I suffer from frequent constipation and anything to keep that monster at bay is worth it. I try to drink at least 4 bottles of water a day. Using water bottles or my Bobble helps me keep track of how much I've drank for the day.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Ok, water does not "flush toxins from your body" or "clear your system." it doesn't work that way. You drink water, and your body digests it, just like everything else you consume. There is no magic water cleansing pathway in the human body. The body breaks it down, absorbs what it needs, and sends the rest straight to your bladder to be eliminated. Anything else that you drink gets processed in the exact same way. Your body doesn't recognize a difference between water, and say, soda. The difference is with the soda it sees glucose and fructose in addition to water, that it can use to power the body's systems, no different than if you had eaten an orange and drank a glass of water together.

The truth is, most people far over estimate their fluid consumption. You may physically pour 140 oz of water down your throat, but your body will most likely eliminate more than half of that without even using it, as the human body requires far less fluid than the bottled water industry has brainwashed people into believing.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    You don't need to drink water to lose weight.
  • devinshotmama
    devinshotmama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keep a water bottle near your bed and on your desk. They hold 16-20 oz so if you drink the whole bottle thats 2-3 servings at a time.