Visiting America - Suggestions guys!

Options
124»

Replies

• CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    How about Texas? You could do Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin (and hill country) and then down to San Antonio. Each has its own unique flair, but are all very Texan. Warning that you would probably want to go in spring or late fall otherwise it might be ridiculously hot.

I second this.... :wink:

I second as well...you could start in the Dallas area and work your way down to the Gulf Coast....we have lots of different scenery/history/geography and the Gulf is beautiful as well. Warning: our mosquitoes on the coast have their own license plates!
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    Are there any particular American events where the whole country is involved in something/days off where I could get involved and enjoy the culture?
    Sure! The 4th of July. Oh wait...sorry.

Tee hee!!:happy:
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I third this! Texas is the only place to be. We have:

The hill country with beautiful scenery and great for biking
    Austin for the hippie/unique shopping
    Fredericksburg and a million other little towns that have a rich history and different cultures (Fredericksburg was settled by Germans)
    Padre Island or Port Aransas both have nice beaches (Port A is less College Spring Break type crowd and more relaxed type climate)
    And if you want bigger cities Fort Worth has a lot of "Texas" culture or for a little less cowboy/more American big city events, Dallas and Houston (although Houston is horribly humid and you couldn't pay me enough to go there!).

We love British accents! Plus you can come enjoy ours!

*Disclaimer: I was born and raised in Texas and hope to never leave it until the day I die. Not an American... A TEXAN!

Absolutely agree with this, however in Houston, takiing off your shirt is mandatory BECAUSE of the humidity...lol
  • jennhase
    jennhase Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I used to live in South Carolina for 7 years and I would recommend Charleston, as well. But you may need a car to get around most of the time- the downtown is pretty close but if you want to get out to the beaches or see some historic plantations you'll need transportation.

Also, Savannah, Georgia is awesome, same ideas: beaches, history, fun!

Go in the spring- May and early June, or it will be too hot for your tender British skin!

I definately think savannah and charleston! Especially if you are looking for pubs and a nice downtown atmosphere...
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    You've seen pictures of Mount Rushmore right? Well, come see it in person in the beautiful Blacks Hills of western South Dakota where the old west comes alive. Gamble in Deadwood in the same locations as Wild Bill Hickock, Calamity Jane and other old west characters. Just dont come the first week of August, thats the Sturgis Motorcylce rally and there are usually 200,000 - 500,000 bikers here during that week. If your not a biker, you wont like it here then.
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Charleston, South Carolina

Beautiful Scenery
    Historic Downtown
    Ghost Tours
    BEACH
    The Market/lots of little eateries and shops

Lots of Friendly People

Wonderful Hotels Downtown

Endless Possi:tongue: iblities for Fun! =)

Charleston is the best!!! My husband and I went on our honeymoon there and just celebrated our 10 year anniversary there last year. GREAT FOOD! And you can walk to almost everything. Also, a great place to run in the mornings.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    How about Las Vegas???? You can fly into here now that we are a point of entry, if you rent a car, you can see Vegas, the Damn, the Grand Canyon, if that doesn't fill up your time, we are 5 hours from Disneyland, Hollywood or San Diego. There is so much to do in Vegas even if you don't gamble, I really think you couldn't go wrong.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I've been planning a trip to America for a couple of years but I've always put it off and been to different places people wouldn't normally go to.

Having used this site a lot, I've realised I really want to go and try out America properly. My only thing is that I don't want to do the usual British thing (hit New York then head to Washington if there's time) Or go to Florida. I want to go somewhere new I've not really heard much about, has to be a place which is traditionally warm and friendly! (plus somewhere people will like my British accent!)

I can see this causing a slight argument but it's needed!

grand canyon, az....niagra falls, or the most wonderful place it bryce canyon in utah
  • athearenee
    Options
    I lived in Indiana all my life and moved out to Colorado Springs, Colorado...and it is AMAZING! You have the Rocky Mountains, lots of hiking opportunities and out door activities. Beautiful scenery everywhere you go (you can drive up Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, Cave of the Winds). I've been here 2 years and I'm still finding "new" views. It's amazing. There is "Old Colorado" and Manitou Springs that has little antique stores and small businesses. Plus, there are many towns around here (that are less than 30 minutes away) that has their own things, like the Royal Gorge, which is a huge suspension over the canyon.

Depending on when you come out here it's very nice weather during the summer months, winter is a bit bitter cold. There are no lakes that you can swim in, but we do have hot springs that you can go to :)
    Ahh..yesss....Colorado...
    I miss home so much!!!
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    I have to put a plug in for my state! You are not going to get city life here, maybe a little if you make it to my town (Missoula, MT) but if you enjoy outdoor activities and want to see some beautiful scenery... you cannot beat Montana in the summer.

Visit Yellowstone National Park and you will see : hot springs, geysers, Elk, Bison, wolfs and more!
    yellowstonee.jpg

Then make your way to Flathead lake... for boating, fishing, swimming... kayaking, paddle boarding you name it!
    4594_1279035009_5rLF6_md.jpg

Then the best... Glacier National Park: Go whitewater rafting, hiking, camping, horseback ridding ...
    GlacierWildernessGuides_452x180.jpg

400px-St_Mary_Lake.jpg

If it is city life you are looking for... you cannot beat NYC! Chicago is fun as well... California is beautiful...

But if you want adventure... you need to make your way to the North West! :) Cheers!

Geez I thought I have a great pitch for my hometown, but seriously can come visit you?? ;^)
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    ok so i dont know about you, or what your into, but im an aussie, and i a loving it here in Oregon. its so quiet and i love beig able to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It all depends on you.
    I love the scenery, being outside surrouded by mountais for miles and miles, as far as the eyes can see. great hiking and everything is concentrated on outdoorsy activities.
    Your form england, so your probably used to the rain, i suggest not coming on spring then lol.
    I have a road trip planned this next month from the top of oregon to the bottom of california.
    here is a little bit on whats on my itinerary,

- seeing replica stonehenge on the oregon/washington border.
    -rockclimbing sheeer cliff faces
    going sand duning on the oregon coast( they have AMAZING sand dunes, quad bike riding is the best!)
    -going to play with baby tigers and lions at the big cat park (yep, you can touch them and feed them, they have little baby big cats all year round).
    - Natural hotsprings surrounded by moutains.
    -drive through wildlife safari
    -jetboating on the river/ziplining
    -skiing and snowboarding (although you probably have enough of snow, good ol aussie here has never seen it)
    -going and camping in the famous redwood forest in california.
    -DISNEYLAND!
    - and then for only 200 bucks i booked 5 nights in vegas and flights were included, so vegas here i come!

Im an adrenalin junkie, and i love beig outdoors so this is perfect for me. but i mean, its all up to you, ive just always had the dream of going on the great american roadtrip

these are photos from my very own camera, not some holiday brochure either.
    i love it here.

america019.jpg

073.jpg

0162.jpg

*sigh* pictures just dont do it justice
  • brandyosu
    brandyosu Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How about Texas? You could do Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin (and hill country) and then down to San Antonio. Each has its own unique flair, but are all very Texan. Warning that you would probably want to go in spring or late fall otherwise it might be ridiculously hot.

You skipped Houston. Damn you, damn you to hell.
    Actually Houston has the Menil, thank you very much Renzo Piano and the Cullinan Hall/Brown Pavilion by Mies Van de Rohe. Take that Kimball Museum and Tadao Ando's Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth.

Oddly enough, a majority of the Houstonian population have never been to the Menil nor do they know who Renzo Piano is, fools!

:flowerforyou: Well, I sort of did that on purpose. I'm back in Oklahoma now (the mothership), but spent the past decade in the DFW area...and like most from that area have never grown much love for Houston.
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options

If you go the Charleston route, you could also meander your way down to Savannah, Georgia. It's about 2 hours away, so it makes for a nice day trip. Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach are also in close proximity to Charleston, as well.

THIS!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Are there any particular American events where the whole country is involved in something/days off where I could get involved and enjoy the culture?
    Sure! The 4th of July. Oh wait...sorry.

Tee hee!!:happy:

rofl :laugh:
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i think a great trip would be to come up to san francisco, have a few days there, then rent a car and drive down the one, hit santa cruz, big sur, monterey, pismo beach.. end up down in san diego for some warm weather surfing... CA is where its at.. there is no more beautiful coastline any where...
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    So many places! I've been to New York and Florida already that's kinda why I didn't specify them, some of these sound lovely. I wish I had more time to visit as well I'll probably only get a couple of weeks away due to work. Hoping to one day move over if I can ;)