Alcohol ruining my diet :(

Options
Anyone else out there have problems with binge drinking? I will drink for a couple days straight and barely eat. Then for like 3 days after I will eat everything and anything, which completely sets me back and ruins my diet and my healthy lifestyle goals, lol... So far I've been lucky and kinda staying around the same 110 lbs. for some reason. But, I NEED to stop this and I know if I do I can actually get on track... Also looking for others in the same boat as me to help support each other.

I am 5"2. and I know I kinda have a problem, was looking for other people who have the same problem so we could support each other as well as have an idea of what the other is going through.

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there have problems with binge drinking? I will drink for a couple days straight and barely eat. Then for like 3 days after I will eat everything and anything, which completely sets me back and ruins my diet and my healthy lifestyle goals, lol... So far I've been lucky and kinda staying around the same 110 lbs. for some reason. But, I NEED to stop this and I know if I do I can actually get on track... Also looking for others in the same boat as me to help support each other.

I'm going to go out on a very fat limb and say you're trolling. But if not...

are you trying to lose weight at 110lbs? Or just get fit?

And if you have problems binge drinking and not eating that would make you a severe alcoholic. The answer is...stop drinking.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    ... which completely sets me back and ruins my diet and my healthy lifestyle goals...

Did you want your healthy lifestyle goals to include alcohol?
    If getting healthier is really important, then it would be worth not drinking (which includes avoiding situations where you tend to drink) for at least a temporary period so you can focus on your healthy lifestyle goals. This might bring you to a point where you could then return in moderation later to having better control over your alcohol intake decisions. Good luck!
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Honestly, your diet getting ruined should be the least of your worries.
  • wantu2wantme
    Options

I'm going to go out on a very fat limb and say you're trolling. But if not...

are you trying to lose weight at 110lbs? Or just get fit?

And if you have problems binge drinking and not eating that would make you a severe alcoholic. The answer is...stop drinking.

what does trolling mean lol, and yeah I need to lose a couple pounds AND get fit.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a drink (one) most days, but I just make sure it's included in my limit
  • Jmbttnr2
    Options
    That;s part of the reason I've gained 50 pounds.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

totally agree, plus how tall ar eyou? because 110 seems a little thin to begin with
  • wantu2wantme
    Options

totally agree, plus how tall ar eyou? because 110 seems a little thin to begin with

I am only 5"2, but I have some excess flab I need to get rid of!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    how about AA?
  • marcia724
    marcia724 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Then don't drink!! I mean...really?
    I try to avoid alcohol as much as possible. If you're dieting, it's just not a good mix.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    How tall are you? 110 lbs would be low if you are tall and i think you'd be more worried about your liver if you have a problem. I understand about wanting to drink as well but the key is to stop drinking SO much. Moderation. :flowerforyou: you can drink and lose weight but at that rate you won't get anywhere good. Good luck!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I drink red wine almost every evening. It doesn't make me binge or over eat and it isn't making me gain either.

The Need for Steady Fuel: Where fueling the fire of our brain and body's metabolism is concerned, carbohydrates can best be described as kindling. Whole grains and legumes are somewhat like twigs; starch, such as cereals and potatoes, and simple sugars are like paper on the fire; and alcohol might best be described as gasoline on the fire. If you're relying on carbohydrates as your primary source of fuel, you need to feed that fire often, regularly, and consistently. You will be craving that fuel. Unfortunately, most people today have forcibly adapted their bodies to this sort of an unnatural dependence by over-consuming carbohydrates in their diet. (Most - if not all alcoholics have - for instance - severe issues with dysglycemia and sugar addiction. Alcoholics are dependent on and regularly seek fast sources of sugar - alcohol being the fastest...because the problem in alcoholism, in fact, isn't really alcohol, per se, but severe carbohydrate addiction (this is interesting to me because most people I know that have completely stopped drinking develop sweet tooths.)...One might get a burst or a ball of flame with respect to energy from many carbohydrate sources, but no one can get long-term, sustainable energy. As soon as the flame starts to die out, which doesn't take long, you're stuck with cravings for fuel or stimulants again. It can be quite a roller coaster ride. This is why dome dietary experts are always telling you to eat every two hours or to eat "numerous small meals throughout the day". If you're sugar dependent - and almost everyone in this culture is victim to that unnecessary reality - then frequent small meals become necessary to maintain an even keel. If you have ever heated your home with a wood stove using paper, twigs and lighter fluid all day, you'd be a slave to that fire and you'd need a mountain of fuel to constantly feed that hungry beast. You'd be forever preoccupied with keeping that fire going, and you'd have little other life...Nature would never have intended for us to constantly live this way. It is a terribly impractical state to maintain, particularly if you view this from the primitive perspective of ongoing survival in a less certain world where food wasn't constantly available. Our primitive (particularly ice-age) ancestors would never have made it this far if carbohydrates were essential to the diet or if glucose were necessary as a primary source of energy. Nature isn't that crazy or stupid...Mind you, it is possible to live in a state of primary glucose dependence. The idea that we are necessarily dependent on sugar as our primary source of fuel is true only conditionally, only if we've metabolically adapted ourselves to that unnatural dependence....It isn't necessary at all and it will age you faster (and cost you much more in grocery bills and health care). Dietary fat, in the absence of carbohydrates, is like putting a nice big log on the fire. Fat's flame burns as a regular, even rate, and is easily dept going, Protein, consumed in moderate quantities, is mainly diverted toward repair and maintenance. Only in excess does it convert to sugar. Fat's even flame keeps the hormone leptin under control, keeps insulin quiet, and keeps our appetite satisfied...One can go many, many hours on this longer-burning type of fuel without experiencing any discomfort or cravings at all. You may eventually get hungry if you really go a long time without eating, which is normal, bu you are far less likely to experience irritability, dizziness, brain fog, cravings, fatigue, jitteriness, or mood swings because of it. That's the say it's supposed to be!
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options

I am only 5"2, but I have some excess flab I need to get rid of!

If it's only some excess flab, I'd tone out. Also to the drinking comment... don't drink so much all the time like that. Maybe have a glass of some wine or something like once a week as a treat... if it really is a problem you should probably see a doctor about your drinking habits...
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I think you need to seriously examine your relationship with alcohol. I have never quit drinking, and I still lose weight just fine. However, I can stop drinking after one or two drinks. You need to ask yourself what other negative affects does alcohol have on your life? This is an issue you should take up with a medical professional. Please, take care of yourself.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Just for your health you should cut the bingeing, before weight reasons. Alcohol does not provide nutritious calories to your body, but sure does provide a lot of calories! It's also pretty dehydrating on your body. I've pretty much given up drinking. I might once a month, but certainly no more binges. Your skin, health, body and mind will thankyou for taking it easy with it. Plenty of alternatives on a night out or even just sticking to one or 2 drinks and spacing them with softies. For me, I do slimline tonic with gin ir vodka and have slimline tonic or diet cokes in between on their own. x
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I don't really know if the binge drinking is related to eating nonstop for 3 days afterwards. I mean, I understand pizza-and-winging it in the drunken moment, but once you sober up grab some celery and get back on track.
  • jennilovesryan
    Options
    binge alcohol totally eats my diet too.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    if you're going to drink, drink low-cal drinks and make sure they fit in your daily calorie allowance. try something like diet coke and captain morgan, bud select 55 calorie beer, vanilla or cherry vodka and diet coke, strawberry vodka and diet lemonade. don't sacrifice eating for drinking, just try to exercise and burn some extra cals so you can drink on the days you want to.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think you need to seriously examine your relationship with alcohol. I have never quit drinking, and I still lose weight just fine. However, I can stop drinking after one or two drinks. You need to ask yourself what other negative affects does alcohol have on your life? This is an issue you should take up with a medical professional. Please, take care of yourself.

I agree! Please put your health first- MFP forums may not be the best place to deal with this issue. Please consider consulting with a health care provider.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I call them as I see them and believe in tough love. What's the point of this posting? You weigh all of 110 lbs and you admit that you freely binge drink and eat unhealthy. You are not serious about whatever fitness goals you have set for yourself and are simply wasting your time at this point. IF you really want to lead a healthy lifestyle then stop the binge drinking and eat healthy foods more often than not. Exercise regularly. Again, my intention is not to demean you but YOU have to accept responsibility for your actions and then take positive steps toward your goals.