Is it expecting too much to want to lose 10 lbs a month?

Options
13»

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 pounds a month for the first three months, but the rate has slowed down substantially since then. The pace was nice while it lasted - gave me some momentum, but the body has it's own rhythms and for me it wasn't sustainable to keep that pace going. It's okay though. I'll still be here however long it takes to reach my goal.
    Same here - I got spoiled and thought this was how it was going to be.
    I was losing about 5 lbs a week for 3 weeks...:drinker:
    My progress stabilized to a 2 lb per week loss, then 1 lbs.
    I reached my goals right on schedule.

I set new goals, then upped my calories, ate to maintenance for 2 months and am now losing about a half pound per week.
    Slow is better than fast.
    Remember, it's about optimal health more than mere weight loss.
    Healthy, permanent weight loss beats that alternative of stifled metabolism, unhealthy skinny fat which becomes fat fat once the weight creeps back on.

I want to avoid that trap.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    It happened once for me. The week i began this journey. And i was eating a mere 1200 calories if i was lucky. Now im loosing between 5 and 6 pounds a week :-( my intake is now 1400 to 1600

5-6lbs a week & you've got a sad face?
    I'd be THRILLED!
    (What's the secret?)
    Im sorry thats a typo error. I now lose 5to6pounds a month NOT a week.
  • SusanRenee35
    SusanRenee35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just gonna work my tail off at the gym, eat right & see what this body does! OH! and drink more water! I am sure as I get closer to goal it will slow down...hoping it doesn't for at least a few more months :drinker: :bigsmile: :wink:
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    Might I just add for everyone who is complaining about losing 10lbs per month... It is safest to lose 1-2 lbs per week... There are 4-5 weeks in each month which equals 8-10 lbs of weight loss per month... I have lost 12 lbs a month for the last 3 months and did not starve myself.. did not over excercise... I walk sometimes... I use my elliptical sometimes... mix that with a really unstable performance of P90X and cleaning the house liberally atleast twice a week and my weight is coming off!! I was a size 22 and am now a size 18 and the new pants are getting loose. Just do your best and forget the rest... My suggestion is to only set a goal on overall weightloss..ie. I started at 5"11 264lbs and I won't stop until I'm 165lbs.. When you set monthly goals you will be discouraged because we all hit a point where we will have to work harder to lose weight and at first (if your working out) you will even gain weight because the volume of muscle vs the volume of fat weighs more! Think about how small your 16oz steak is vs if you tried to scoop a pound of crisco!! Measure yourself... never give up! Have fun with it... if you get tired of walking then try dancing while you get ready for work... anything to get you moving!!! I'm no professional and I can only tell you what has worked for me. I hope this helps!

THIS ! I'm just a regular woman and it works!
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    That used to be a healthy amount each month & now it seems it is only 5...I want & have set my goals to go down each month 10 lbs....am I being unrealistic?
    Yes, you will fail in the end more than likely.
    Starvation diets don't work.
    Why?
    Because if your calorie deficit is too great you can easily suffer from
    loss of muscle mass (slows down your metabolism) and impaired general progress.
    You have to find what is right for you but you also need to remember that your body
    is a machine and without the right type and amount of fuel there could be problems
    either with loss of muscle, loss of energy, less weight loss/plateaus, etc.

Stick with the MFP recommendations.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.

AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

exactly. this is the healthy way and most likely way to keep it off in the long run. make it a lifestyle change and not a diet.
  • mollyjackson82
    Options
    Might I just add for everyone who is complaining about losing 10lbs per month... It is safest to lose 1-2 lbs per week... There are 4-5 weeks in each month which equals 8-10 lbs of weight loss per month... I have lost 12 lbs a month for the last 3 months and did not starve myself.. did not over excercise... I walk sometimes... I use my elliptical sometimes... mix that with a really unstable performance of P90X and cleaning the house liberally atleast twice a week and my weight is coming off!! I was a size 22 and am now a size 18 and the new pants are getting loose. Just do your best and forget the rest... My suggestion is to only set a goal on overall weightloss..ie. I started at 5"11 264lbs and I won't stop until I'm 165lbs.. When you set monthly goals you will be discouraged because we all hit a point where we will have to work harder to lose weight and at first (if your working out) you will even gain weight because the volume of muscle vs the volume of fat weighs more! Think about how small your 16oz steak is vs if you tried to scoop a pound of crisco!! Measure yourself... never give up! Have fun with it... if you get tired of walking then try dancing while you get ready for work... anything to get you moving!!! I'm no professional and I can only tell you what has worked for me. I hope this helps!

THIS ! I'm just a regular woman and it works!

I would say more like 4 weeks in a month and that is 4-8 pounds a month. even 5 weeks in a month would be 5-10 pounds a month not 8-10.
  • brookelittle
    Options
    Yes you succeeded in making me look like an idiot but I was calculating MAX weight... you got the point. lol! : ) But if we get technical there are 52 weeks in a year, divide that by 12 and you get 4.3 months... equals a range of 4.3 lbs- 8.6 lbs... I'm very friendly but I discourage you to throw numbers my way.. I am very capable of simple addition and subtraction and lack none in the algebra department either! Obviously we are both sarcastic if you want to be so please just do not respond... I do not think I am smarter than you or anyone else on here and you should not either. The only reason I responded to the message board was because so many just assumed that she was losing weight in an unhealthy manner and jumped down her throat instead of offering simple advice. And opinions are like an *kitten*... everybody's got one! What we should be offering are are self stories.. so that others can take them for what they are! Compare their situation to the stories offered and make their own decisions based on what has or hasn't worked for others! Science is wonderful but no one is capable of sticking to a PERFECT diet! You have to combine things that work for you and be able to feel good about the decisions you make! If she is losing 10 pounds a month it is not our place to hate on her but to encourage her to make sure that she is doing it in a healthy manner IF that is what she desires! Soap dish END!
  • egordon81
    egordon81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Like many have said before, it really depends on your body and where you're starting. I started in September, being 5'11" and 378. I have since lost on average 15 lbs a month. I have my weekly goals, but some weeks are better than others. Don't go weighing yourself multiple times a day. And overall, I wouldn't focus on the numbers. Go with how you feel. Work hard, eat healthy, surround yourself with great support and you'll get there.