Running Shoe Suggestions Needed!

Options
124»

Replies

• melrose09
    Options
    The best advice you can get from anyone in these forums is to go to a running store and get fitted. Just because one person likes/needs asics or nike or saucony or brooks, doesn't mean it works for the next person. I personally love my Brooks running shoes but you might not. It's best just to go in and get fitted and find the shoe that's right for you. When I first started running I posted something exactly like what you just posted and I ended up just ordering a pair of Asics that I thought were appropriate for me. Wrong. Waste of money. Went to the running store and decided on some Brooks running shoes that are amazing! Don't make the mistake I made, do it right from the start. Get fitted. Or at the very least just go try on a bunch of pairs until you decide what's right for you.

Definitely agree. It's a very personal decision. I went to a running store for the first time yesterday in hopes of bringing home some Brooks and ended up liking a pair of Asics MUCH more. (Didn't get them in hand, had to special order because they didn't have my size). Test them out. They'll probably even let you run around the block with them
  • brookeg20
    Options
    I run in Asics too, I think the Gel nimbus. I liked them so much, I actually have bought the same shoe a couple times now. I did go and get them fitted, though. My suggestion: Get fitted, find some shoes that you love to run in, and keep buying those until they don't make them anymore or they don't feel as good.
  • fatgirlruns
    Options
    I used to run in Asics, and I loved them until I went to a running store and had my gait analyzed. I'm currently in Brooks Adrenaline. My absolute favorite!!! But, everybody is different. Go to a dedicated running store and get somebody to analyze your gait. It's free when you buy your pair of shoes there. I can't recommend this enough. My new shoes have changed my world. That may be a bit of an exaggeration, but when you are training or going on a run, the last thing you need is uncomfortable shoes!! Good luck!! Let us know which shoes you go with.
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    I love Brooks, and they are what I am currently wearing, but I would suggest going to a running store and getting professionally fitted. They will let you know what works best for you. The fitting should be completely free, and the price of the shoe is WELL worth it.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I would highly suggest some ASICS, ones with gel in them!! I got my first pair back in September, and they are awesome!!!

Yes!! I love asics. My favorite are the gel cumulus and the gel nimbus. Like running on clouds!!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    I've heard good things about the Mizunos. I went to a running shop for this last pair and they suggested saucony - my least fave so far. I'm hoping to find a shoe I LOVE and can stick with from here on out.

I'd go to the running store and ask for help from the owner.
  • fatgirlruns
    Options
    Thanks all! The one time I got fitted for shoes I think they did a half a** job because they didn't watch me run or anything. I'll tray again at a different store (I have two running-specific stores by me!) and see what they say. But, I'll keep in mind the types you listed here for sure!

Happy running to you all!

Keep in mind these stores are not typically located in the mall. They may me independently owned. Don't confuse volume of sales with the perfect fit.

You may pay a little more for the shoe. However, I feel it's worth it because it's those types of stores that support the local runs in your community, often give school athletes discounts, have employees (or owners) who coach TNT, etc.

They are vital to the running/fitness community. Our support for them is our way of thanking them for their expertise.

Agree 100% here. I went to our local running store because I was training with TNT. Great customer service and very knowledgeable. Paying a little more and getting some great advice sure beats running with blisters and injury due to a poor fitting shoe.
  • carmieslug
    carmieslug Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would just like to share that I love my Brooks Adrenaline. They offer so much support and I feel like I am running on air. I also agree that you should try to get measured at a running store. And - I would add that last year's Brooks adrenaline are on sale at the Brooks website - so if you like them, you can pick up some extras!
  • frogman4591
    Options
    I recently bought my first pair of running shoes. While I had planned on buying Asics, the clerk said that she runs and prefers the Mizuno Wave Rider. So I bought the Waver Rider and am completely satisfied with them, at least om the treadmill. I'll have to wait till Spring to try them outside.
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    Hi I would suggest Nike Free or Reebok Zigs