How sensitive are your nipples?

Options
I have been doing some running lately and I'm finding that after only about 6 or 7 hours total, my nipples are starting to get rubbed raw. Apparently they're more sensitive these days. I don't remember this happening years ago when I ran.

Obviously I can forego the shirt on the treadmill at home. But I'm also running outside and it's too cold for that where I am.

What do you do to keep your nipples from burning up?

Replies

• EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Well, I use a bra
  • NewTeena
    NewTeena Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I read the topic title I was thinking "that's really none of your business" LOL, but after seeing why, I get it. My brother is a runner, I think he tapes his when he does long runs.
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I use compression shirts under some sort of moisture wicking running shirt. Cotton t-shirts will rub you raw and it sucks when you start bleeding from them. Some people put band-aids on them, but I sweat a lot and even the waterproof ones came off when I tried those.
    UnderArmor compression shirts do the trick for me - I've run 3 marathons and no issues.
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    They actually have creams for men to use. I would check it out.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I was wondering about this earlier. In general, sensitive nipples due in part to piercings. (Overshare? Sorry, get over it. We're talkin' nips up in here.)
    Anyway, ever since I've started running more (as in daily), they're hurting more- I'm wearing a sports bra, but I'd heard some people tape their nipples during runs (no one specified gender) and wondered if friction was an issue.
    Any other ladies with this issue? It's very recent and troubling.
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Well, I use a bra

I use sports bra.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Specialty running stores sell two things to help with this problem (which is TOTALLY common): A) Body Glide (looks like a deodorant stick, and prevents chafing from clothes rubbing on your nipples), and b) Nip Guards (which are like Band-Aids, essentially).

Both are pretty cheap, so I'd recommend checking those out!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There is a product called Body Glide, goes on like a deodorant stick, and it eliminates chaffing. You can get it at any running store, most sporting goods stores. I use it for my nipples when it's cold outside.
  • Bradyns
    Options
    I use compression shirts under some sort of moisture wicking running shirt. Cotton t-shirts will rub you raw and it sucks when you start bleeding from them. Some people put band-aids on them, but I sweat a lot and even the waterproof ones came off when I tried those.
    UnderArmor compression shirts do the trick for me - I've run 3 marathons and no issues.

This is the way to do it!
    Compression suits, or 'skins' are incredible at avoiding this problem!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    To the OP, I would listen to Eaglesfanintn. You need a different type of shirt that won't irritate you.
  • lsminkey
    Options
    monistat sells an anti-chafing cream that could help with your problem. I know that monistat makes women and men think of yeast infections, but this is a totally different product! It's available at walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Monistat-Soothing-Powder-Gel-1-5-Ounce-Containers/dp/B000FKLKXQ

P.S. ladies, it doubles as a face primer, similar to the Smashbox brand. Same ingredients and wayyy cheaper! This is how I use it...
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Since mine are pierced, they tend to get irritated despite the fact that they're pretty much immobilized inside my sports bra...I've found success with using a friction stick.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    why would anyone run for 6-7 hours?
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You can either cover them up with little round bandaids (thats what my husband does) or just rub some vaseline on them, but that'll stain your shirts.

They also sell anti-chafing creams and stuff!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread was disappointing.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Zombies bro.. Zombies..
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    Options

Zombies bro.. Zombies..

lmao! :laugh:
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    ..Before or after piercings?

Edit: Stupid MFP lag.. I am late with this comment, as pierced nipples had already been addressed. At least I am noticing a trend with red heads and boobdazzles. ;)
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Very interesting.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Since mine are pierced, they tend to get irritated despite the fact that they're pretty much immobilized inside my sports bra...I've found success with using a friction stick.

Thanks! I'm having the same problem, apparently. I couldn't understand why my piercings have been find up until now. I'll look into a friction stick.