Does getting your tubes tied cause weight gain?

Options
I'm on mirena (LOVE IT!) And I'm coming up to my 5 year mark to get it changed out. Other than I'm young, why shouldn't I get my tubes tied?

Does getting your tubes tied cause weight gain?

Replies

• 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    The only reason it would cause any weight gain would be because of the downtime after surgery. Otherwise it's all your own natural hormones in your body so that shouldnt cause you to gain anything, in fact, you would be more likely to lose without the fake birth control hormones.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Get essure then you don't even have to recover from surgery!!!
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    The only reason it would cause any weight gain would be because of the downtime after surgery. Otherwise it's all your own natural hormones in your body so that shouldnt cause you to gain anything, in fact, you would be more likely to lose without the fake birth control hormones.

Thanks
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    Get essure then you don't even have to recover from surgery!!!

*googles*
  • rodmanswife
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight after getting my tubes tied. I think it was a combination of coming off the pill and the fact that I knew it was time to get in shape again knowing I wasn't going to have any more babies :smile:
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I think maybe yes.

For me, for sure, it has really changed my body's routine.

I used to have a 28-30 day cycle. Now it is 19 days.

I used to have NO spotting before TOM.

Now I have three days of spotting.

I used to have 5-7 days of TOM.

Now I have 7 days TOM + 3 days of spotting. ( My husband is NOT IMPRESSED ).
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    no. eating too many calories causes weight gain. :-) (sorry if that sounds sarcastic - it's not meant to be)
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    I think maybe yes.

This is one of the big reasons I am thinking of just getting a new mirena. My periods are 1-3 days. TOPS.
  • muwchck
    muwchck Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There's a little down time with Essure (I had it done in August), but only about 24-48 hours depending on if you are still in pain the second day or not. I ended up on narcotic pain killers for 4 days because every time I picked up my son I thought I was gonna pass out from the pain. On top of all that, I'm having a tubal done because one side didn't take. The doctor says it looks like the insert went through my tube on the one side. Both options are non hormonal though, so it should make a difference on weight loss. I will be so glad when mine is all done with and I can officially come off the depo shot for real this time. I have a much harder time losing weight while on hormonal birth control.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    My periods are all sorts of crazy now that I have mine tied too and It has taken me 10 months to lose 28lbs but I've only really been trying for about 6 months.

My mom said she dropped weight very quickly after having her tubes tied but my cousin is struggling with losing weight after her tubes were tied also...and she has never had a problem losing weight. Who knows, everyone is different!

Good luck with your decision though :)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I think maybe yes.

This is what having mine tied seems to have done to me. Mine have gotten to be every 28 days but I spot for a week ahead of time and my cycle lasts 5-6 days at least. My husband is not impressed either. But you know what I told him to get the big V because I knew this kind of thing happens. So he cannot complain too much.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree with poster about a weird flow after.. I am 8 months post tubal ligation (which I had during my c section --two babies was enough for me and I had complications)

I LOVE having my tubes tied. While I did have a c section at the same time, my recovery was quick. I was up and walking within 24 hours of surgery and the doc had to make me get back in bed. Within 3 days I could move quite well. I didn't really notice much from the tubes being tied..and my c section wasn't even very painful (and I am a petite girl). I guess it boils down to having a really good doctor at your side.

I HAVE NOT GAINED WEIGHT. I feel just like I did prior to having them tied, I just can't get pregnant now. That is all. :)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I was on the pill from the time I was 19 until I was 20 when I got pregnant with my first, while on the pill LOL. I had periods that maxed 2 days of light spotting. Went back on the pill when I was 21 until I was 22 when I got off to try for my daughter. Same 2 day period. Had my tubes tied when I had my daughter at age 23 and have not had weight gain but personally, I have had: 4 day periods, some very heavy, pain while ovulating, horrible mood swings.

Some people I know have had NO symptoms after it so I guess it just depends on the person.
  • hjfischer
    Options
    I had my tubes tied after my c-section 16 months ago. I have not gained any weight. I am still trying to lose and firm up from baby number 4. Not sure why having a tubal ligation would cause any weight gain.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bump, I am having that in the next few months.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I think it caused some weight gain my tummy area. I've read a lot about post tubal ligation syndrome and I definitely have some of the side effects of it (one of which is belly weight gain that you can't lose - no matter what you do!).

That being said, for me having a tubal is worth any weight I may have gained. I like not having to worry about a pill or getting a shot. For me, the convenience has been worth it.

I was 23 when I had my tubes tied. I only had 2 kids and it was tough finding a doctor who would do it, but I've NEVER had any regrets about it.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    no. eating too many calories causes weight gain. :-) (sorry if that sounds sarcastic - it's not meant to be)

Hormonal changes CAN cause issues with weight. If all that causes weight gain is overeating - then why do we gain weight during our periods? Hormonal changes, water retention, etc.

It is shown that a hormonal imbalance CAN affect weight loss.
  • hope2webb
    Options
    I was on the pill from the time I was 19 until I was 20 when I got pregnant with my first, while on the pill LOL. I had periods that maxed 2 days of light spotting. Went back on the pill when I was 21 until I was 22 when I got off to try for my daughter. Same 2 day period. Had my tubes tied when I had my daughter at age 23 and have not had weight gain but personally, I have had: 4 day periods, some very heavy, pain while ovulating, horrible mood swings.

Some people I know have had NO symptoms after it so I guess it just depends on the person.

You could be suffering from PTLS...some docs don't believe in it...but there are alot of women that suffer from these same things and have their tubes re-versed and feel soo much better!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    No, it shouldn't cause weight gain. Just make sure your eating habits don't change afterwards.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I think being on the pill gave me issues losing weight and was able to lose weight when I stopped taking it in 2002. Now I don't take anything. I haven't had my tubes tied, but it was because I really didn't feel comfortable with something so permanent. I actually look at the cues my body gives me to avoid getting pregnant (I have 2 kids). I would just make sure you are really really sure you want it done, because while you can have a reversal if you want more kids, it can sometimes cause more fertility issues when you reverse it (in regards to pregnancy).

We know we are done, but I just couldn't take that permanent step.