Total wake up cal...(HRM)

Options
124»

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Women - are you wearing, positioning your monitors correctly? Are you wetting them if the instructions say to do so? Are you wearing it UNDER your bra strap? These will all affect whether your HRM is able to calculate the proper calories burned. Do you have it tight enough to your body?
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thanks. You guys are great :flowerforyou:
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've seen this too with my pedometer - the tread at the gym will tell me about 400 cals for 2.2 miles and my pedometor is only around 300 for 1.8. Stupid.
  • gwenbrown
    gwenbrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    what is the polar HRM I am just starting to get back into working out after months of not working out. I went to the gym this morning and the elliptical said the I burned 279 cal and My fitness pal said i burned 330 which is right. The treadmill said I burned 162 cal and My fitness Pal said I burned 171. I would love a more accurate way of keeping track of the calories that I burned.
  • Bringerofrain
    Bringerofrain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Are you sure the stats are correct. 250 cals in 42 min is less than 6 cals/min, which is quite low unless you are 5' 100 lbs.

Did you enter your weight in KG's as lbs on the watch, that would make it think you are 2.2 times lighter than you are and weight is probably the biggest factor in calories burned.)

Agree with^^^ That seems a bit low may want to triple check your info or if you know someone that has a HRM to borrow & check yours against it.
    Doing great btw!!!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    OMG...I got a Polar FT7 HRM and used it for the first time ever doing what I love...Elliptical... 42 min ...and these are the stats:

MFP said 712 cals burned

Ellipitical Machine said 500 cals burned

And drum rolll.....

HRM said I only burned 250 cals --- ONLY????

Now wonder I have not been losing weight all this time...seesh! I swear by it now!
    Thank you for posting this. This is EXACTLY why i do not believe in eating back calories you not even sure you have burn. This past week end there was another post about how Polar is NOT accurate for women. So your REAL burned calories could even be less. The Polar HRM overestimates numbers too :-(

I don't eat my extra calories either. I have an allotted amount of calories and that's what I try to stay at. I do ad my exercise but have the calories set at 100 for all of them. That’s where I get my Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate snack size bars….Ohhhh I want one now please :)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    MFP is high, but make sure you are setting it correctly with your specifications.
  • katrin25
    Options
    thanks for your post. then I know I'm not crazy. when I read my friends burning hundreds of calories doing the same activities that I do burning only half the calories.
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate!

My Polar FT4 gives me about 75% of the calories on the treadmill, with an average HR of about 160. Some of my friends have crazy burns doing the same amounts of time, which doesn't seem quite fair!

But, I'm losing and that's what counts. I still get to eat 1500-1650 cals, and I feel good and am getting healthier. And, that's what I'm here for, so even though I'm tempted to hate it sometimes, I truly do love my HRM!
  • kappyd
    kappyd Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    OMG...I got a Polar FT7 HRM and used it for the first time ever doing what I love...Elliptical... 42 min ...and these are the stats:

MFP said 712 cals burned

Ellipitical Machine said 500 cals burned

And drum rolll.....

HRM said I only burned 250 cals --- ONLY????

Now wonder I have not been losing weight all this time...seesh! I swear by it now!

I had the same results, to make it even worse I subtract what my resting cal. burned would have been during the time that I was exercising. I got this by wearing my HRM sitting in my chair and wrote down how many cals I burned in 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes and then an hour. So I would have ended up with only around 190 cals burned.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Well, I just got home from my first work out with my Polar 4 Heart Rate Monitor and wanted to type this up quickly since others were questioning how I made out.

First off, i'm 5' 4", 134 lbs, 46 years young. I did the stairmaster on the setting "rolling hills", level 8 for 25 minutes. According to the stairmaster reading, the distance is 2.30 miles. The stairmaster registered 199 calories burned however, my HRM registered 231 calories burned (YAY!).

I then stopped and restarted the HRM and got on the treadmill, and walked for ten minutes at 3.6 mph at a 1.0 incline and then jogged for 33 minutes at 4.3 mph (changed the incline from 1.0 to 0 about 10 minutes into the jogging). Treadmill registered a total of 2.70 miles at 187 calories, however, the HRM registered 383 calories burned (another YAY).

I've been doing this type of workout now for awhile and was just entering 100 calories per 1 mile, however the HRM is saying i'm burning more than that. It did also show that I am exercising above my heart rate range the majority of the time, staying in range only 12 minutes out of the 65 or so minutes.
  • yasmine36
    yasmine36 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt focus to much on exact calories, you exercied I think thats all that matters.
  • nikolaim5
    Options
    Oooooorrrrr... Start with a sensible (read: not 1200) daily calorie goal and then don't worry about eating back your exercise cals. Problem solved!
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Women - are you wearing, positioning your monitors correctly? Are you wetting them if the instructions say to do so? Are you wearing it UNDER your bra strap? These will all affect whether your HRM is able to calculate the proper calories burned. Do you have it tight enough to your body?

That was my question - are you wetting it enough so that you have good contact? Of not, that could be why you are burning so few calories, according to the HRM.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've got a polar FT60. I love it. I normally wait until my heart rate goes down to stop it, but I won't now after reading this thread. Thanks guys x
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Here is my two cents: Believe the HRM and ignore the rest of the nonsense people told you in this thread.

I used to have a Polar FT7 before I got the FT60, and my burns for the elliptical weren't that high either. If you feel it is correct, then it is...end of story. Could it be faulty? Yea maybe, but I would tend to believe it depending on how fast you were going, the resistance etc.