You guys have plans for Lent?

Options

Replies

• beebabe
    Options
    I gave up facebook last year. I thought I would cave and go back but I was surprisingly strong. Every time I thought about facebook, I actually just picked up the phone and called the person who I was thinking about.

This year Im thinking about giving up my cell phone... with it I will also lose the ability to facebook, call people, tell time, know the date, angry birds, temple run, yoga app, and allow my husband to keep tabs on me. lol He would never allow that.

So, what I am really thinking of giving up is (drum roll please!) coffee.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My church encourages taking on a discipline rather than giving something up. I haven't decided what I'm taking on, but I like this philosophy! Much more positive.

(Of course there was the year I inadvertently gave up church for Lent... That was actually kinda cool and made Easter a lot more meaningful.)
  • AnnaK812
    AnnaK812 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    chocolate!
  • suztheq
    suztheq Posts: 171
    Options
    LENT! 2 weeks away, so here is what I am giving up: self control, abstinence, & sobriety in addition to speaking to people I don't like.

And tofu.... :devil:

Shouldn't be too difficult.

Sounds like we are on the exact same plan. :drinker:
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Huh... I gave up smoking over a month ago..... and I've basically cut all the sh1te out of my diet..... so I have no idea what else to give up lol!
  • Carrin817
    Carrin817 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I will probably give up soda. I"m pretty much off of it now but do indulge ocassionally.
    Also, fast food. I don't eat it that often but we do hit the drive thru from time to time for the kids. It think this will also save us some cash since it cost us $40 at Mickey D's for the 6 of us!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Giving up peanut butter for Lent could possibly be the cutest thing I've ever heard.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    I havent thought about it... while im not catholic myself, i did goto a catholic school for a number of years so im familiar with it...
    maybe i'll try something this year... its only 46 days (i think)...

Probably the worse thing I do is occasionally (meaning once every weekend) I have beer.. I could give that up, but It wouldnt really be giving up something everyday since its a once a week thing. Im trying to think of something I do once a day (or atleast several times a week) to give up... but im drawing a blank.
    I dont snack. I dont think a food related thing is really for me, but Id like to try something.. ideas?
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I gave up chocolate one year for lent and did really good - I think I might try to do that this year with one caveat (birthday cake) only one small piece and only if it is someone's actual birthday (I will not have it is just a dessert being offered). Basically, because I really need to give up chocolate and it is really hard!! I'm a chocoholic:laugh:

And I agree with an earlier poster - anything with the word "tofu" in it:explode:
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Huh... I gave up smoking over a month ago..... and I've basically cut all the sh1te out of my diet..... so I have no idea what else to give up lol!

You can take on something. Maybe some kind of a push-up challenge or C25K or something. :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I gave up facebook last year. I thought I would cave and go back but I was surprisingly strong. Every time I thought about facebook, I actually just picked up the phone and called the person who I was thinking about.

This year Im thinking about giving up my cell phone... with it I will also lose the ability to facebook, call people, tell time, know the date, angry birds, temple run, yoga app, and allow my husband to keep tabs on me. lol He would never allow that.

So, what I am really thinking of giving up is (drum roll please!) coffee.

Ohmygosh!! I would LOVE to throw that darn cell phone out!! Between people texting and calling alone... ugh! I want to live on top of a mountain somewhere for a while.
  • OCHawkeye
    Options
    Looks like it's soccer again this year for me.
  • allison0102
    allison0102 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up red meat and just eat chicken (except on Fridays of course) and fish!
  • danascot
    danascot Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about Lent coming up! And to the OP, I don't think it is religious psycho-babble. If you don't celebrate Lent, why post anything? Anyways.....I'm going to give up diet soda.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    One year I gave up bread for lent and lost 25lbs really scarey how much bread was in my diet. Since its worked in the past maybe I will do that again.
  • snobuny032
    Options
    I may give up Alcohol since it just sabotages my weight loss and of course meat on Fridays.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I probably should follow lenten practices more...

I think I'm going to give up fast food (I've only had it a couple times in the last three months, but to wipe it out completely would be awesome!)

I think I will also add something - I need to pray and meditate more. I don't do it nearly enough.
  • atsteele
    Options

I love the idea of, instead of giving something up, doing something positive. :)
  • atsteele
    Options
    I think I will also add something - I need to pray and meditate more. I don't do it nearly enough.

^^^ This!!
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I'm gonna clean it out of my dryer and my belly button.
    I just wanted to say...I love you! lmao This is something my dad would say...he is dead now...will you be my on line dad?? Weird??? lmao