Avocados

Options

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I adore avocados! I put avocado on everything! Sandwiches, burgers, salads, wraps, burritos, tacos, with eggs, EVERYTHING.
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow. Awesome recipes!

I actually just had avocado on my salad.

Another way I like to eat them is as my "mayo" on a sandwich.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    mmm avocado & tuna sandwich, no need for any mayo.

i like 'em in a salad instead of meat.
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Wow. Awesome recipes!

I actually just had avocado on my salad.

Another way I like to eat them is as my "mayo" on a sandwich.

I read "WITH 'mayo' on a sandwich" and thought YUM...but needs tomato too
  • AK2AZ
    AK2AZ Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 1 avacado a day, sometimes 2 a day. They are my favorite thing to eat, even though they are high in calories, they are loaded with so much good stuff. I spread avacado instead of butter on breads, I eat lots of salads so its always on my salad. I had avacado on my chili today, sometimes I'll eat just a half, take out the pit and put a little evoo, vinegar and a splash of soy sauce and pepper, just spoon out the avacado and enjoy. I put it on my breakfast sandwich in the morning too. Of course tacos and anything mexican.
  • Denise1001
    Options
    Keep the pit in the half your not eating. The top will turn brown but the rest will remain fresh for up to a week.

I like having avocado for breakfast on a bagel with a sprinkling of salt and tabasco.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    As for guacamole, I just mash the avacado, add some garlic powder, a little salt and pepper, some diced onion and chopped tomato and stir, may a little hint of lemon or lime juice if I have some. How do you make yours?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    *cries* I can't eat them anymore, I'm now allergic. *kicks ALL the rocks*

I used them in smoothies (1c almond milk 1 avocado (peeled/stoned) 1 TBS agave nectar (or to taste) ) , chicken salad (instead of mayo or chunked and just added to it), grilled cheese, pizza (added after baking), salads, guac, I'd eat them with just a hint of salt...I love them. OH, you can also make some baked goods with them and ice cream. Google some vegan food blogs.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    1. Avocado toast: toast bread (I like something multi grain or wheat the best). Mash avocado with some lemon or lime juice, salt, chili flakes or pepper. Spread on toast.
    2. Chocolate Mousse: seriously try out this vegan mouse. Just google avocado chocolate mousse, it is really easy and tasty
    3. Salad: apple or pear, avocado, crunchy lettuce like romaine or butter, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Optional: jicama or cucumber.
    4. Salad 2: orange and/or grapefruit, mixed greens, avocado, lemon juice, salt and pepper. I also like bell peppers or mangos in this salad. Tasty with meat or fish too.
    5. Salad 3: tomato, avocado, your favorite lettuce, balsamic vinaigrette
    6. Add some to your favorite salsa
    7. Make a slacker guacamole dip for chips: avocado, greek yogurt, lime juice, salt and pepper (chopped onion if you have time) mash it together. Extra protein and creaminess from the greek yogurt
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    *cries* I can't eat them anymore, I'm now allergic. *kicks ALL the rocks*

I used them in smoothies (1c almond milk 1 avocado (peeled/stoned) 1 TBS agave nectar (or to taste) ) , chicken salad (instead of mayo or chunked and just added to it), grilled cheese, pizza (added after baking), salads, guac, I'd eat them with just a hint of salt...I love them. OH, you can also make some baked goods with them and ice cream. Google some vegan food blogs.
    When I first read that, I thought you were describing an avocado, agave, chicken salad, grilled cheese, pizza, salad smoothie.

And I thought GROSS! Who puts agave in a smoothie?
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say I had 1/2 an avocado mashed up with a small can of tuna and fresh chopped chives for lunch today, wrapped in a flatbread. it was SO SO GOOD.
  • peaceb3ar
    Options
    You can make an avocado smoothie:D

Just take avocados, a little bit of condensed milk, skim milk, and some ice into a blender and VOILA!~
  • angbak60
    angbak60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Great advice regarding avocados. I just began eating them this year and love the smooth, creamy texture. I too, was looking for ways to add them to my diet! Thanks for great tips!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just discovered you can FREEZE avocados!! I just did this very successfully. I cut one in half and used in recipe. I sprinkled some of that Fruit Fresh stuff on the other half, left the seed in, put it in a freezer bag and stuck it in the freezer. It stayed nice and green, thawed so that I could cut it very quickly, and tasted fresh, fresh, fresh.

I tend to eat too much just because I'm afraid I'll end up throwing it away so I have more servings than I should. But using half and freezing the other half works great for me.

In tacos, in salads of any kinds, love it with oranges and balsamic vinegar, with tomatos and fresh mozzarella, best thing ever on a grilled hamburger (or Boca burger), mashed up with just salt, pepper, and garlic powder + pita bite chips. Love me some avocado!
  • HawkinsN
    Options
    I Have to write some of these things down!!! Great ideas!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just discovered you can FREEZE avocados!! I just did this very successfully. I cut one in half and used in recipe. I sprinkled some of that Fruit Fresh stuff on the other half, left the seed in, put it in a freezer bag and stuck it in the freezer. It stayed nice and green, thawed so that I could cut it very quickly, and tasted fresh, fresh, fresh.

Who knew?? Thanks for the tip!
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Press the plastic wrap close to the cut edge or you can also cut the brown edge off and it's still fresh underneath.

I eat mine on toast - preferably sourdough bread!

And before ANYONE says it - yes, I live in California - grew up here and having this for breakfast - blame my mom!
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • TeneshiaS
    Options
    i just had an avcado with diced tomatoes and red onions. With a little Italian Dressing, and pepper. :wink:
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I love them with just olive oil and some balsamic.