1200 Calories...how?

Options

Replies

• Christinajoey2000
    Options
    I try to fill up on brown rice or quinoa, yogurt, lean proteins, fruits and tons of veggies. I eat a limited amount of low calorie processed foods (too small--not filling enough for amount calories), but add a salad, nuts, fruit or piece of whole grain bread. I also try to limit my sugar (in addition to fruit) intake bc those calories add up quickly. All in all, I'm usually satisfied and have room for a glass of wine with dinner.

Hope this helps a little.:smile:
  • Himi16
    Himi16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Freezing your fruit can make it take longer to eat! I love frozen blueberries and eat them instead of hard candy.

Also, I LOVE food so I've given up drinking any calories. I drink 98% water with only an occasional liquid indulgence. That leaves me more calories for eating!
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm on the other side of this problem... I have 1300ish and I have a hard time eatting them all! ><
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my food diary. I am now at 1400 per day as a baseline for calories plus I eat my exercise calories or most of them, but I am aiming for 90% vegan food. NOt all days are as veggie packed, but I usually get 50 - 77 gms of fiber in and am so stuffed with food that I can barely finish my calories if I do it right. I am an Eat To Live Devotee and working on doing the program right. I love my breakfast smoothies and blended salads for lunch. I am usually stuffed after every meal. Yesterday was a Costco "oops" snacks day and my DH insisted on going out for dinner, so not the best example. But last week was great. Look through those days.

Susan
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    It's probably not good for sodium, but I love Progresso Light soups for lunch. I can eat the whole can (2 bowls) for 120-160 calories. I don't really like a lot of veggies, so some days this is the only way I eat any. I usually eat egg whites or egg beaters for breakfast along with a piece of toast and then snack on yogurt later. That blend of carbs and protein usually keep me full the majority of the day and thenIi have more calories to play around with at night. I don't eat the healthiest, but I'm never starving during the day and I usually come in right at/or under target. (If you do look at my diary, keep in mind I had Bronchitis last week, so some days I am way under and some days I didn't add anything at all).
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 per day too. I have to say it DOES get easier. I started MFP in late December. I never thought I could go a day without going over. I ALWAYS eat my exercise calories back. And now even on a rest day, I'm close to 1200. Stick with it. It WILL get easier.
  • opaquewhite
    opaquewhite Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Some awesome suggestions, thanks guys! I do drink lots of water, I just don't always log it all because I've never really figured how to log a "glass" of water. I log it on the fitbit website via ounces instead. I definitely do better on my exercise days, but when I don't have the time, I'm usually struggling. I'm planning to incorporate lots more salads and soups, and try to cut back on the occasional glass of wine I sometimes have at the end of the day too!

I'm retraining myself all the time, because I've been on WW and South Beach before, it's always a different system!
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems - except I have started to realize that sometimes I'm just having cravings. If that's the case: eat ice. And I've read sniff apples - but who knows?
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    mine is set to 1200 right now, i think my diary is public so feel free to take a look - really this is the first day i've been on 1200 though but essentially less carbs like pasta and bread and substitute it for more veg like broccoli and cauliflower,

I find mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli and frozen broad beans extremely filling of course your still getting carbs from the veg :D
  • missjones93
    missjones93 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh - and I have canned soup for my lunch. Mainly because it's convenient. But it doesn't have many calories either.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to get 1300, but I usually have about 1200. I eat lots of protein. Eggs, chicken, fish, etc. I also eat lots of veg and fruit. It tends to keep me full. But, I drink LOTS OF WATER!!!! It keeps me full/hydrated and it makes me skin nice, which is an awesome benefit! :)
  • ShannonMK9
    ShannonMK9 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    check the glycemic index for your foods - those with high glycemic indexs will make you hungry again faster than low glycemic (carrotts, apples) so should be paired with a protein or fat (peanutbutter, or other nut butter) to stabalize blood sugar. Lots of water will also help with the hunger.
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200, but I workout 6 days/week. It gives me an incentive since I find sticking to 1200 calories difficult sometimes. 1400 is good, but 1200 is hard. It's the difference between having a snack before bed and not. I NEED my bedtime snack! LOL.
  • JennyAnnLanders
    JennyAnnLanders Posts: 79 Member
    Options
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Wow...I am on the 1200 calorie end and I eat waaay more food than you. If I only had what you have, I would starve. Please take a look at my diary.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I do it and workout so I can eat more......been doing this since 12/31 and lost 11 lbs, 1 more lb to go........my diary is public.
  • Sydney0710
    Sydney0710 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Here's an average days worth of food for me:

Breakfast: coffee, scrambled eggwhites with veggies, WW low-carb toast, or oatmeal unsweetened.

Lunch -- Greek yogurt, walnuts, blueberries, honey, salad with either a homemade vinaigrette or no dressing, or sometimes a Boca burger.

Dinner --meat or beans with a ton of veggies, or some kind of homemade casserole, turkey tacos, stews, etc. I cook everything we eat at dinner.

Bedtime --PB with WW toast, or a small piece of dark chocolate with PB.

Occasionally I have a small amount of popcorn or and Almond Dream "ice cream" sandwhich in addition to what I've listed.

I only drink water, coffee, or iced loose red raspberry leaf tea.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat clean between 1200-1400 a day. Feel free to take a look at my diary.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I average 1200-1300 calories a day. Some days I don't get that. I stay away from high glycemic foods, for the most part, but will splurge once in a while. I just started eating Luna chocolate peanut butter bars (high protein) because I switched back to a vegetarian diet. Drink a lot of water as well. Good luck. My diary is open to the public.
  • lifeisadancefloor
    lifeisadancefloor Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yea I try to exercise as much as I can so I can eat more haha! I had a hard time at first, but then got used to it, and can even stay close on days I don't exercise now! I have been eating basically 6 times a day, about every 2.5 hours. It helps me not feel hungry all the time!