Options
13»

Replies

• kmk5397
    Options
    That's exactly how I make mine!!
  • JessicaEames
    Options
    Top a veggie burger (or turkey burger) with avocado! SO yummY!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I scoop the green stuff out and spread it on a piece of toast. MMmmm :)
  • DelSchro
    DelSchro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can freeze avocados.
    I just discovered baked avocado with egg in it.
    Just cut it in half and crack and egg in along with whatever else you may want in it and then bake it until the egg seems done.
    Yummy!
  • Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Chicken and avocado salad with some light saad cream is my favourite thing at the moment ... And yeah leave the pip in x
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Avocado-Chicken1b.jpg

creamy avocado chicken salad. I find ways to make these kinds of things healthy, instead of mayo use cottage cheese. and no corn chips.

here's the link to the recipe: http://www.cheekykitchen.com/2011/04/creamy-avocado-chicken-salad.html

This looks amazing!!!

ThIs looks stunning! X
  • carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Rather than depending on salsa, I like to chop up tomato and onion to mix in. A bit of salt, a dash of lemon or lime juice, and some garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic) and you've got killer guac. Put the avocado pit in the gaucamole and some plastic wrap directly on the guacamole and it'll stay nice and green for several days.
  • tikki801
    tikki801 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Avocado and Tomato on a Tuna Sandwich is my FAVE!! I did notice, like other said, if you keep the pit in they brown less, also if it isn't too brown, I just scrape it off and use the rest. You can also check out this website, they have all natural products that help your fruits and veggis last longer. I know someone who uses it, it is also his In-Laws company.
    http://www.jpsfoods.com/
  • kimg70
    kimg70 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Here is a reat Recipe

3 washed tomatoes, quartered then halved
    2 ripened avocados, peeled and chopped
    1 large cucumber, sliced in half longwise, then chopped
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    fresh ground black pepper to taste
    optional: juice of 1 lemon
    Serves 4.

Directions:
    Place chopped tomatoes, avocados, cucumber in a salad bowl.
    Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, then lightly mix with tongs.
    Add fresh ground black pepper on top, and serve. Let me know if you are going to try it! It's super easy, and OH SO HEALTHY!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I've not tried these since I was a kid. The recipes make me want to, but I worry ill end up addicted lol. Why are they so good for you? X
  • ambeer2
    ambeer2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I actually am having "tomacado" sandwiches all week for lunch!

Use any bread, but I've found the best tasting for this is pumpernickel:

1/2 avocado
    1/2 medium tomato or 1 small tomato, Roma or vine
    1 tbsp. Vegenaise (because it is so tasty)
    2 tbsp. 3-cheese shredded blend of Asiago, Fontina and Romano
    dash of salt and pepper

Put the avocado spread on one side, Vegenaise on the other. Slice up the tomato and put on the Vegenaise side. Cover the tomato in the cheese, then put a dash of salt and pepper on that side. Carefully pile on the side with just avocado. Voila! Tastiest and most filling vegetarian sandwich ever! I like to compare it to the Jimmy John's veggie sub. Mine clock in at under 400 calories because of the bread I use (only 90 calories for two slices).
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I heard if you leave the pit in the half you don't use it helps preserve. I also sprinkle with lemon or lime juice and then wrap. Seems to last longer that way.
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I put them on toast.
    I also make an egg sandwich with a bagel thin, eggbeater, and avocado.

Simple and delicious!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My husband puts cottage cheese in the center and cooked shrimp on top with a little salt. It is easy, fast and super yummy not to mention it is a complete meal.
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love to make chicken sald sandwich with them. I use avocado and a lil bit of fat free sour cream instead of miricale whip and add what you normally would to any chicken salad mixture. I love it this was and it's a good way to use the avocado up and not waste it.
  • jenna_laurelle
    jenna_laurelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cut in half s&p and a bit of lemon and eat it right out of shell for a snack!

or i eyeball guacamole all the time:
    2 avacados, 2 cloves garlic, tablespoon lemon joice, 5-10 drops hot sauce, s+p (or so..make it how you like)
    eat it with rice crackers (really low in everything) or with veggies

i dont have the recipe but ive seen many for Chocolate Mousse with avacado and cocoa, check out vegalicious.com for det's.!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    We discovered GRILLING avocados over the summer. They are fabulous!! Here's the recipe we use, except instead of picante sauce, we used drained Ro-Tel tomatoes & chiles. The recipe is from Better Homes & Gardens, btw.

Grilled Avocados

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    2 large ripe avocados, halved, seeded, and peeled (about 1 lb. total)
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt or 1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup bottled picante sauce
    1 ounce Monterey Jack or farmer cheese, shredded or crumbled (1/4 cup)
    Snipped fresh cilantro
    Salad greens (optional)
    Bottled picante sauce (optional)
    Dairy sour cream (optional)

Stir together olive oil and lime juice. Brush avocados all over with olive oil mixture. Sprinkle cut sides of avocados with salt.

For a charcoal grill, grill avocado halves, cut side down, on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 5 minutes or until browned. Turn avocado halves, cut side up. Fill centers of avocado halves with the 1/4 cup picante sauce and shredded cheese. Cover grill and grill about 5 minutes more or until cheese begins to melt. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place avocado halves on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)

Remove avocados from grill. Sprinkle tops of avocado halves with snipped cilantro. If desired, serve on a bed of salad greens with additional picante sauce and sour cream.
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Chop up one Avocado, one Iomato, three Green Onions. Sprinkle with Ciltranto and Lime Juice. Let it set together for a bit to meld the flavors together. YUM! Salsa! Eat with chips, over pasta, over grileld meats, or even in other recipes that call for salsa.

I also found this recipe (http://whatscookingamerica.net/Pasta_Rice_Main/GuacamolePasta.htm), I have not tried it yet, but I LOVE Avocados and this sounds delish!