Any suppliments that I can take for energy/metabolism boost?

Options

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    DR OZ is recommending RASBERRY KETONE .Good luck finding this supplement,because every since his show aired on Monday it has flown off the shelves.Today was my first day on it,and i will let you know how it goes.
    RASBERRY KETONE!

Wow, and I wonder what magic this jewel contains....by now you should know already....:laugh:

CAFFEINE!
    Another home run for the supplement companies!
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    To boost my metabolism and help with energy, I make sure to eat lots of healthy foods that are high in B vitamins, get plenty of exercise, and good sleep. Spicy foods can act as a booster as well as diminish hunger. It has been shown that a high-quality source of Omega 3 (such as found in milled flaxseed and other seed oils) can help. I also drink my coffee with CAFFIENE :)
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options
    I take L-Carnitine and Co-enzme Q10 which were recommended to me. Q10 from Tesco or Saisburys are cheaper, alternatively you can get both from a health store.

Good luck with the weight loss!!

How does Q10 help with weight loss? .. its just I've also seen this one mentioned on an ataxia (a progressive condition that causes loss of voluntary motor control) forum - I have ataxia .. I'll be asking there too exactly how it helps ataxia.. so would be also interested to know how it helps with losing weight before I considered taking it.

Benefits of CoQ10

Helps ignite the creation of energy at the cellular level.

Although found naturally in our bodies, Coenzyme Q10 diminishes as we age. Supplementing the body with additional CoQ10 can help strengthen the cells and help offset degeneration.

Increased energy production -- Some feel immediate benefits; others notice results after six to eight weeks.

Improved gums -- Deficiencies of coenzyme Q10 have been linked to periodontal disease.

Antioxidant abilities -- Coenzyme Q10 is a vitamin like substance whose actions in the body resemble those of vitamin E. It may be an even more powerful antioxidant.

Strengthened cardiovascular system and heart -- A six year study conducted by scientists at the University of Texas found that people being treated for congestive heart failure who took coenzyme Q10 in addition to conventional therapy had a 75-percent chance of survival after three years, compared with a 25-percent survival rate for those using conventional therapy alone. It strengthens the heart muscle.

High blood pressure -- Another study by the University of Texas and the Center for Adult Disease in Japan, showed that coenzyme Q10 has the ability to lower high blood pressure without medication or dietary changes.

Research has revealed that supplemental coenzyme Q10 has the ability to counter histamine, and therefore is beneficial for people with allergies, asthma, or respiratory disease.

Mental disorders -- Coenzyme Q10 is used by many health care professionals to treat anomalies of mental function such as those associated with schizophrenia and Alzheimer's disease.

Other diseases -- It has also been found beneficial in fighting obesity, candidiasis, multiple sclerosis and diabetes.

Enhances the immune system
  • mrscdgogan
    Options
    I DO NOT DRINK COFFEE. I don't like it. I do have an occasional cherry Coke zero, but I want something that gives me energy. There is really nothing wrong with me, except that I am hypothyroid. Which I take medicine for. I just want something to help me have more energy to get up and work out. I know it's a choice, but after 30 minutes or so in.... I feel like I'm dying!:laugh: Though I appreciate a lot of the sarcasim... I would really appreciate testimonials. :bigsmile:
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    I DO NOT DRINK COFFEE. I don't like it. I do have an occasional cherry Coke zero, but I want something that gives me energy. There is really nothing wrong with me, except that I am hypothyroid. Which I take medicine for. I just want something to help me have more energy to get up and work out. I know it's a choice, but after 30 minutes or so in.... I feel like I'm dying!:laugh: Though I appreciate a lot of the sarcasim... I would really appreciate testimonials. :bigsmile:
    So long as you know the scam and are willing to go in eyes wide open, be my guest.
    Can't say you were not warned.
    Caffeine works but only for a season, then like most drugs, your body develops a tolerance as it's effects are down regulated.
    Then your solution is TAKE MORE!

Again, be my guest!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Vitamins B-12 and D. I also use DHEA. All on the doctor's recommendation. And liberal use of caffeine!
  • jenncaroon
    Options
    Vitamin B-12 and also vitamin D

This! My doc recommended both at my last physical. I am 47 y.o.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    diet pillS do work, im a sneaky bee and i know all sorts of tricks for weightloss, but they dont work if you eat the same amount as normal and if you're not exercising, soo you might as well not bother anyway and just save your moneyyyyyyyy
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    P.S. Herbalife is a scam. Why support a company like that?

http://www.freewebs.com/herbalifereport/

whatever!
  • buttercup62999
    buttercup62999 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I was having the same fatigue problem. Went to the doc to get some test ran thinking perhaps my Vit Bs were low and my D was drastically drastically low! I'm on prescribed supplements, along with B complex.....If you are eating healthy and getting excercise you shouldn't be worn down constantly...many times it's your body telling you there's something wrong. Go see your doc!

I also was having issues with fatigue and come to find out I have a thyroid problem, so if you really are tired and feeling worn down, a check-up by your dr may be what you need!
  • brenteesha
    Options
    I say B12 as well. I don't personally take it, but my coworker does. One thing that she experiences that I want to point out to you... it may take a little while to take effect. She takes it in the morning before working out around 6-7am, and she gets her burst of energy later in the day, around 2-3pm. We all know everyone's body is different, so this may not be the same for you... but in case it is, I wanted to give you a heads up.

Also, eating frequently helps keep your metabolism raised. Instead of eating three meals, try to eat 5-6 smaller meals that still stay within your calorie range.

Keep in mind that many things can affect your body weight... so going forward, try to weigh in at the same time each day. My weight can fluctuate as much as 5-6 lbs within a day, just from water and food intake and so forth.

Good luck!
  • Scubanana7
    Scubanana7 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    vit d, vit c. also I sprinkle tons of cinnamon in my coffee, tea, shakes. it is a natural met booster. I also use lots of cayenne pepper on all veges and meat. also natural met booster. the more you move, the more you will want to after a few weeks. the first couple is hard and you must force yourself. Once the natural forces began to work, you will have more pep.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    Options

University of Maryland Medical Center says that for hypothyroidism:

L-tyrosine, 500 mg two to three times daily. The thyroid gland combines tyrosine and to make thyroid hormone. If you are taking prescription thyroid hormone medication, you should never take L-tyrosine without direction from your doctor. Do not take L-tyrosine if you have high blood pressure or have symptoms of mania.

Omega-3 fatty acids, such as fish oil, 1 - 2 capsules or 1 - 2 tbs. of oil daily, to help decrease inflammation and help with immunity. Omega-3 fatty acids may increase the risk of bleeding, especially if you already take blood-thinning medication. Ask your doctor before taking omega-3 fatty acids if you take blood thinners such as warfarin (Coumadin) or if you have a bleeding disorder.

Eat foods high in B-vitamins and iron, such as whole grains (if no allergy), fresh vegetables, and sea vegetables.

Avoid foods that interfere with thyroid function, including broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, spinach, turnips, soybeans, peanuts, linseed, pine nuts, millet, cassava, and mustard greens

If you take thyroid hormone medication, talk to your doctor before eating soy products. There is some evidence soy may interfere with absorption of thyroid hormone.

Taking iron supplements may interfere with the absorption of thyroid hormone medication, so ask your doctor before taking iron.

Eat foods high in antioxidants, including fruits (such as blueberries, cherries, and tomatoes) and vegetables (such as squash and bell pepper).

Avoid alcohol and tobacco. Talk to your doctor before increasing your caffeine intake, as caffeine impacts several conditions and medications.

Do not take an iodine supplement unless your doctor tells you to. Iodine is only effective when hypothyroidism is caused by iodine deficiency, which is rare in the developed world. And too much iodine can actually cause hypothyroidism.

Source: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/hypothyroidism-000093.htm
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I know there are no magic pills to make you lose weight. I know it's all about discipline. I have been doing this for 10 days now, and have only lost 1lb. I do zumba at least 3 times a week, and for the most part have been staying in my calorie range. I know hard work will eventually pay off. I was just wondering, is there any suppliments to boost my energy or metabolism, or both??? I think if I had more energy I could work out more/longer. And, anything to help my metabolism speed up would be helpful. I see all of these diet pill adds that are supposed to do wonders, I was just wondering if any of you have tried them? What works??? Thanks!

I take a supplement called White Flood that I buy at BodyBuilding.Com. It provides good calorie-free energy as well as various nutrients. But don't look to it, or any supplement for that matter, for weight-loss.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I cannot say this enough: green tea, clear (that means no added garbage), often!
    It is simple, easy, and effective.

Don't believe me, you can read about it in a ton of health related literature! I have read it everywhere from Prevention, to Men's/Women's Health, to Oxygen.

Cheers! I'm going to have a cuppa right now!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Forgive me for asking the obvious but...... how many CALORIES are you eating?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, which basically equals zero energy, and I feel much better when I take my daily Omega 3s.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I cannot say this enough: green tea, clear (that means no added garbage), often!
    It is simple, easy, and effective.

Don't believe me, you can read about it in a ton of health related literature! I have read it everywhere from Prevention, to Men's/Women's Health, to Oxygen.

Cheers! I'm going to have a cuppa right now!

Me too!
  • JessG11
    JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
    Options

If your hypo, get your Vit D levels checked...from what I've been reading, often low Vit D levels and high TSH levels go hand and hand and they can cause fatigue and muscle weakness which I imagine can cause even more fatigue during workouts. I also am finding that if I take my Vit B complex 3 hours or so before my workout I have more energy.
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    I know there are no magic pills to make you lose weight. I know it's all about discipline. I have been doing this for 10 days now, and have only lost 1lb. I do zumba at least 3 times a week, and for the most part have been staying in my calorie range. I know hard work will eventually pay off. I was just wondering, is there any suppliments to boost my energy or metabolism, or both??? I think if I had more energy I could work out more/longer. And, anything to help my metabolism speed up would be helpful. I see all of these diet pill adds that are supposed to do wonders, I was just wondering if any of you have tried them? What works??? Thanks!

I take a supplement called White Flood that I buy at BodyBuilding.Com. It provides good calorie-free energy as well as various nutrients. But don't look to it, or any supplement for that matter, for weight-loss.
    White Flood?
    Now, this sounds promising....
    NOT!
    Just another caffeine pill....