any yummy hubby approved recipes?

Options
Hello All~

I was hoping you could help me...
I have a baby arsenal of meals that my husband loves...but don't exactly fit into my healthy lifestyle.
& my hubby is not a fan of change....sooooo I am looking for some new recipes that will meet the yummy factor
while meeting my nutrition needs.

NOTE: the trial and error thing isn't going to work....they have to be wifey tested~hubby approved.....

any help would be Awesome!!

Love&Light,
~Athea Renee:smile:

Replies

• ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I frequently hide vegetables in foods. Carrots, broccoli, and bell peppers can be grated into spaghetti sauce. Cauliflower can be "mashed" in with potatoes. Parsnips can be added to beef stew (they look like a potato, and taste sort of like a carrot). Use a can of pure pumpkin in place of the other ingredients in a chocolate cake mix. Use quinoa or buckwheat pasta instead of regular pasta.
  • PhatAndy
    PhatAndy Posts: 285
    Options
    Me.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    My hubby is yummy and approves of my spicy panfried chicken thighs... would that do?

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (trim the fat if there is any)
    Flour (about a tablespoon for 4 - 6 thighs)
    Spices - I used cayenne pepper, coriander and five spice powder. Plus a bit of salt and pepper

Put it all togther in a bag and shake it up, then pan fry in a non-stick pan with a bit of cooking spray.

I served these with some salad but you could have them with any veggies that he will eat - maybe add a baked potato for him so he doesn't think you're trying to make him all healthy!

Or, roasted cherry tomato pasta with prawns:

Roast some cherry tomatos in a hot oven until they start to collapse
    Cook some diced red onion and garlic in a non stick pan (use cooking spray if you need to)
    Add a splash of wine or stock, then the cherry tomatoes and a ladleful of your pasta cooking water (or more stock).
    Add some prawns (shrimp) and cook for a minute or two more and you're done. And some baby spinach if you can get away with it. I serve it with pasta or rice (I just keep by portion to about a cup or less of pasta/rice).

If you don't do pasta, this also makes a great sauce to serve with steak or chicken with some veggies on the side.
  • ccnjc4e
    ccnjc4e Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    What kinds of things does your hubby like/dislike? I have a few recipes that my family LOVES, but you know, to each their own.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ummmmmm I have a yummy hubby!
  • athearenee
    Options
    Me.
    you silly fish...
    :heart:
  • shanbah
    shanbah Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My hubby loves my stir fry...chicken breasts, teriyaki sauce, frozen broccoli, carrots, and corn (or sometimes a frozen stir fry veggie mix). Served on top of brown rice. Super easy, super filling, super yummy, and a little high in sodium but pretty decent in the calorie department.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Sneak healthy options into food. My fiance learned that he loves spinach and/or brocili in scrambled eggs, when I let him have a bite of mine once! Speaking of that...also offer him a bite or two of whatever healthy option you're eating, he may actually like it. I can no longer buy the Lean Cuisine Panini's because he took a bite once & then hinted for 2 days that I go buy more...When I did he ate them all. Not cool. Not cool.

Also, check out healthy food websites...skinnytaste.com is good, look through Pinterest, there are always a ton of recipes!
  • athearenee
    Options
    I guess I should have said yummy hubby-approved recipes..
    ha ha:laugh:
    you guys crack me up...

btw....he will only eat a salad once in a while
    no corn
    no sour cream
    no mayo
    no cottage cheese

picky, i know...
  • athearenee
    Options
    My hubby loves my stir fry...chicken breasts, teriyaki sauce, frozen broccoli, carrots, and corn (or sometimes a frozen stir fry veggie mix). Served on top of brown rice. Super easy, super filling, super yummy, and a little high in sodium but pretty decent in the calorie department.
    I think I'm gonna try that this wknd..
    he loves beef n broccoli

Thanks!
  • athearenee
    Options
    ummmmmm I have a yummy hubby!
    LOL:laugh:
    almost fell out of my chair!
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com. She has a ton of great recipes, some are classics that have been lightened up, some are more adventurous. I have had delicious success with all her recipes!
  • athearenee
    Options
    What kinds of things does your hubby like/dislike? I have a few recipes that my family LOVES, but you know, to each their own.
    He loves my
    Slow-roasted pulled pork enchiladas
    Lasagna
    Double Bacon Burgers
    Philly Cheesesteaks
    Shrimp Scampi
    Pesto Tortellini
    Homemade Pizza
    Chicken Tacos
    Chicken Enchiladas
    Chili
    Pot Roast
    ......comfort food mostly
  • athearenee
    Options
    Check out www.skinnytaste.com. She has a ton of great recipes, some are classics that have been lightened up, some are more adventurous. I have had delicious success with all her recipes!
    Perfect!
    Thanks So Much!!
  • athearenee
    Options
    My hubby is yummy and approves of my spicy panfried chicken thighs... would that do?

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs (trim the fat if there is any)
    Flour (about a tablespoon for 4 - 6 thighs)
    Spices - I used cayenne pepper, coriander and five spice powder. Plus a bit of salt and pepper

Put it all togther in a bag and shake it up, then pan fry in a non-stick pan with a bit of cooking spray.

I served these with some salad but you could have them with any veggies that he will eat - maybe add a baked potato for him so he doesn't think you're trying to make him all healthy!

Or, roasted cherry tomato pasta with prawns:

Roast some cherry tomatos in a hot oven until they start to collapse
    Cook some diced red onion and garlic in a non stick pan (use cooking spray if you need to)
    Add a splash of wine or stock, then the cherry tomatoes and a ladleful of your pasta cooking water (or more stock).
    Add some prawns (shrimp) and cook for a minute or two more and you're done. And some baby spinach if you can get away with it. I serve it with pasta or rice (I just keep by portion to about a cup or less of pasta/rice).

If you don't do pasta, this also makes a great sauce to serve with steak or chicken with some veggies on the side.
    Looks Good!!
    Thanks!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple favs in our house:

http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/06/chicken-parmesan-meatloaf.html
    This one, I've always used ground turkey instead of chicken. My hubby can't stop raving about it and always gets excited when it's on the menu. :) With the ingredients I use, calories are 214/serving.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pan-Seared-Lemon-Tilapia-with-Parmesan-Pasta/Detail.aspx
    This is delish! I like to pair mine up with fresh steamed zucchini. YUM! Hubby prefers broccoli as his side, tho. With the ingredients I use, calories are 370 for the pasta. The tilapia would depend on the size of your fillet.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Baked Chicken and Potatoes (less than 500 calorie per person)

This is 2 servings.

2 chicken breast
    4 laughing cow cheese wedges
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 tbsp basil/oregano
    2tbsp parmesan cheese

Make a pocket in the chicken breasts. Mix together all other ingredients in a bowl then stuff it into the chicken breast. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt and pepper the top.

10 fingerling potatoes
    1/2 yellow onion
    1 tbsp olive oil.

Cut potatoes in half, and roughly chop onions. Drizzle with olive oil. Salt and Pepper
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My husband will LITERALLY leave work early if he knows this is on the table. He calls it "Maple Goodness." LOL

Maple Glazed Pork Chops
    I use lean, boneless center cut chops or just a pork tenderloion. I also double the recipe since this only makes 2 servings.

Ingredients:
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 bone-in pork loin chops (7 ounces each)
    1 tablespoon maple syrup
    1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
    1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    Directions:
    Combine the first five ingredients; rub over pork chops. Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 20 minutes. Combine the remaining ingredients; pour over chops. Bake 5 minutes longer or until meat juices run clear.
    Nutritional Facts
    1 pork chop with 1 tablespoon glaze equals 338 calories, 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 105 mg cholesterol, 769 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 32 g protein.

Another fave is this one. My 9 year old actually requests this a lot. It's his favorite.

Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
    TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.

Ingredients:
    3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed *I used a turkey kielbasa link and it was great, too.
    1 medium onion, chopped
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    1-3/4 cups water
    1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
    1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
    2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    Dash crushed red pepper flakes
    Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
    Directions:
    Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Add the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
    Stir in tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).

Nutritional Facts
    One serving: 1-1/3 cups (calculated without cheese) Calories: 203 Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 2 g Cholesterol: 40 mg Sodium: 878 mg Carbohydrate: 18 g Fiber: 3 g Protein: 16 g
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    He might like Tamale casserole

1 tube of polenta (I usually use about 4/5 of the tube, and have some left over)
    1 can la preferida low fat refried black beans
    1lb laura's lean beef, browned (92/8)
    1 can red enchilada sauce (low fat)
    1/2 cup 2% shredded cheese (I use 4-cheese Mexican blend)

line bottom of 8x8 or 9x9 pan with 1/2 inch polenta rounds, top with half of the enchilada sauce, layer all of the refried beans, all of the beef, then top with the remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. bake till heated through

4 servings

about
    453 calories
    47g carbs
    14g fat
    34g protein
    7g fiber
  • jazzgnat
    jazzgnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem but for me it's my wife that's super picky. I lighten up a lot of the things we used to eat all the time. Most notably tacos and spaghetti. I use ground turkey rather than beef on both. I have whole wheat noodles and light sauce with the spaghetti and always pick low calorie cheeses made with skim or 2% milk. She doesn't eat many veggies so I make them for myself. We also like the occasional BLT which I know sounds really high in calories but I use center cut bacon. It has fewer calories even than turkey bacon, only 20 per slice. Fish is another very lean meat you can use and it can be prepared so many ways. For inspiration try the cooking light magazine website that's where I get my best recipes though she doesn't always like them. http://www.cookinglight.com