just counting calories no excercise ?

Options

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    what happens if i eat under that number? like instead of 1200 i eat 1000 or 800

i lost 50 lbs in 2007 by eating 1 meal a day (usually a large side order of mashed potatoes from boston market OR half of a subway 6 inch sandwich) and getting the bulk of my calories from apple juice. I would go through a 64oz bottle of juice in 2 days. I did this for 8 months...and the only reason i stopped was because my hair got very thin and patchy.

i never did any real exercise during that time, but i was also very unhealthy...which is why i lost hair (your body doesnt need it, its one of the first things to go when you're malnourished)

I was consuming about 800-900 calories a day. it eats away at your body.

when i lost the weight everyone was like "Oh wow you look great what did you do to lose weight" i told them flat out "i dont eat food" and they encouraged me with things like "thats amazing" and "keep it up"

Scary, but too common I think. OP, please pay attention to this!
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    if you are a student nurse im sure you burn plenty of calories in your job, i know you will be rushed off your feet because my daughter is a student nurse too and shes just constantly on the go.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    what happens if i eat under that number? like instead of 1200 i eat 1000 or 800

i lost 50 lbs in 2007 by eating 1 meal a day (usually a large side order of mashed potatoes from boston market OR half of a subway 6 inch sandwich) and getting the bulk of my calories from apple juice. I would go through a 64oz bottle of juice in 2 days. I did this for 8 months...and the only reason i stopped was because my hair got very thin and patchy. i never did any real exercise during that time, but i was also very unhealthy...which is why i lost hair.

I was consuming about 800-900 calories a day. it eats away at your body.

when i lost the weight everyone was like "Oh wow you look great what did you do to lose weight" i told them flat out "i dont eat food" and they encouraged me.

so how much do you eat now

well, to elaborate further: i kept the weight that i lost off for 18 months - it helped that i became more active...but then i went on birth control and the hormones made me gain 35 lbs and depression set in. I've maintained my weight (in the 260s) for about 2 years. thankfully i didnt "balloon" up any further. i attribute that to the fact that i've never been a big eater. but now i'm back at square 1.

Since joining MFP, it has me set at 1,570 calories (originally 1600). 200 of those calories come from my medicine - so that right there is 200 calories im not eating. If i take vitamins and supplements thats another 100-150 calories i wont be eating as well. I try to meet my calorie goals within 100 calories.

I exercise several times a week (3-5) but im not great at eating my exercise calories...so when i exercise i always end up with 200-400 extra calories.

I have some bad days, days where i just dont feel like eating, or i get a late start....but then i throw a super healthy smoothie in to the mix.

So in answer to your question...i TRY to consume at least 1450-1500 calories...im not perfect at it. theres stuff i have to work on (like eating breakfast and not trying to get all my calories in at night) but its a learning process.
  • dutchjacky
    dutchjacky Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    six years ago I lost weight by only eating one meal a day. The only way to keep the weight off then was to eat less and less. I gained weight when I went on anti depressants and had kidney problems which made me unable to move or stand. This time with the help of mfp I am amazed that I am losing weight (its finally started to come off after a very slow start) by eating more, I do struggle to eat enough but with snacks I do it. It can be done without the exercise but even walking it exercise and will help just make sure you eat enough.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    i'm not sure what enough is :(
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    yea both times my sister got pregnant she gained 100 pounds and both time she was able to lose all of it with in a year simply by limiting her food intake

I would start at 1500 and then if you can 1200

if you want you can add me, I think I have discovered some good food choices that get you threw the day =)
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been doing it - I work long hours and generally start and finish when its dark so I can only exercise on weekends most of the time and I'm down 10lbs :-)
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    While weight loss is basically from calorie deficit and that you CAN just lose weight from it, you increase the loss of lean muscle tissue if you don't exercise. Loss of lean muscle tissue means lowering your metabolic rate. And if for any reason you over eat (which is NOT uncommon after reaching goal) regain of weight will be much more likely. Also, it's VERY common for people who diet only to completely stall and plateau much faster than others that do it with consistent exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

this is only true if she had the muslces to began with, sense she is not currently working out then I dont see how her muscles will change
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    i'm not sure what enough is :(

ive had low energy my whole life and its caused me super lazy. i dont LIKE forcing myself to exercise, but i do it for the health benefits it will give me (i like having a healthy heart, and diabetes doesn't sound too fun)

you should not eat any less than 1200 calories. that is the bare minimum.

depending on your height, your current weight, and how much you want to lose per week...the amount of calories you should consume will vary - but if you dont intend to do any exercise i guess 1200 is appropriate.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    yea both times my sister got pregnant she gained 100 pounds and both time she was able to lose all of it with in a year simply by limiting her food intake

I would start at 1500 and then if you can 1200

if you want you can add me, I think I have discovered some good food choices that get you threw the day =)

thanks i added you
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    Yes, I've been doing it - I work long hours and generally start and finish when its dark so I can only exercise on weekends most of the time and I'm down 10lbs :-)

how much do you eat
  • BlaireV
    BlaireV Posts: 137
    Options
    I lost my first 25 lbs without exercise. I also wasn't that big to begin with (5'6.5" and just under 170 lbs).
  • LilacDreamer
    Options

how much do you eat

hun you keep asking the same question but there is no right answer. you need to find what is right for you.

its recommended that people with little to no activity eat 1200 calories..but you might find that you're super hungry eating 1200 and need more than that.

we dont know how tall you are, your weight right now or how much you want to lose. that would really help.
  • girlholiday
    Options
    It's just not healthy, and not good for you to eat under 1,200 calories. Eating less to lose weight isn't going to benefit you in the long run and is a "quick" fix. I understand wanting to lose weight, and wanting to do it now, but just be good to yourself.

You should try to make an effort to do some kind of exercise, even if it's a simple switch to take the stairs, dancing in your room, or walking the long way. I know I feel a lot better about myself if I'm even slightly more active.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Create deficit through diet, use exercise for fitness and strength goals.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    I lost my first 25 lbs without exercise. I also wasn't that big to begin with 5'6.5" and just under 170 lbs).

how much did you eat ?
  • LilacDreamer
    Options
    I lost my first 25 lbs without exercise. I also wasn't that big to begin with 5'6.5" and just under 170 lbs).

how much did you eat ?

hun you keep asking the same question but there is no right answer. you need to find what is right for you.

its recommended that people with little to no activity eat 1200 calories..but you might find that you're super hungry eating 1200 and need more than that.

we dont know how tall you are, your weight right now or how much you want to lose. that would really help.
  • smoochypearl
    Options

how much do you eat

oooo I c\

i found this
    http://www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/calories-required/

and it says around 1400 so whoever said 1500 was close
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    If you tell me...
    -your age
    -height
    -current weight
    -goal weight

... I can tell you how much you need to eat.
  • smoochypearl
    Options
    If you tell me...
    -your age
    -height
    -current weight
    -goal weight

... I can tell you how much you need to eat.

thanks I found it so its about 1448