Eating past 6pm?

Options
1235»

Replies

• eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just keep track of your deficit. In college i took a nutrition class and the reason for that is that you may not burn those calories before you go to bed. It can also cause funny dreams in some people. Don't worry about it though! I can't eat until 9 at night cause I get off work at 8:30 and I've been losing weight just fine.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know what diet experts you gleaned that information from, but it doesn't matter what time of day that you eat. It all goes to the same place and your body does the same thing with it no matter when you put it in your stomach.
  • Time really matters if you are consuming like tons of carbs. I wouldn't suggest a big bowl of spagetti or pasta right before bedtime. Eating something before bed may actually help you sleep too.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    According to many diet experts they say you should not eat after 6pm.

On 2 of my exercise days I do not eat until nearer 8pm.

I tried to eat my evening meal before I exercised but it made me feel sick.

Is it really bad to eat this late?
    I eat all the way up to bed time, and I have lost 72 lbs - :smokin:

These so called "experts" are probably selling some absurd food intake program that's so complicated that you need to pay them money, so they can tell you how to eat.

Ignore anybody trying to give advice and sell something to you.
    And ignore those fools who bought into such a program and suddenly anointed themselves king experts.
    Same goes for financial advice - WATCH OUT!
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I guess my point is you have to find what works for you.

Exactly
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people have to take meds at bedtime on an empty stomach. That's me - so no eating for 2 or so hours before I plan to go to bed, or I have to stay up later.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    If I didn't eat past 6 I'd never eat dinner. I don't get off work until 5pm and if I go to the gym I don't get home until 7pm. There have been nights that I don't eat until 9pm. I don't think it really matters what time you eat but rather WHAT you eat. Just my opinion.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I don't know how people can fall asleep with hunger pains.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want. My workouts often are not done until after 7 and after I workout, I have to refuel and that means eating and drinking. So far, it's caused me no grief. I say the whole timing thing is just a myth.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I eat at 8pm after my exercise...........I'm doing just fine..............do what feels good for you...............
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner as late as 10 and still have a carb (fruit or ice cream) before bed to prevent my blood sugar from being so low in the morning.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Time really matters if you are consuming like tons of carbs. I wouldn't suggest a big bowl of spagetti or pasta right before bedtime. Eating something before bed may actually help you sleep too.

I eat pasta (and white pasta too) before bed.
  • zacharysmith
    Options
    I agree completely my metabolic rate is of the charts, so I constantly eat. I am in the army so as long as i stay away from extremely unhealthy foods Im fine. I usually eat my last snack around 11:00pm then go strait to bed.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yeah unless eating right before bed is hindering your sleep etc there is no reason to limit your food intake before bed. Especially if you have certain macros to hit.

I routinely have a big meal eating the rest of my macros between 9 and 10pm.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Lunch should be your "big" meal of the day. Eat light at dinner and snack time, no matter the time of day/evening.

"Don't eat before bed" is myth. Probably from the same people who sell the grapefruit diet.

It is important to eat something every 2-4 hours. Studies have shown that this keeps your metabolism up and helps you to maintain and/or build lean muscle tissue. Skipping meals has the opposite effect.

I guess I'm falling apart. I fast for 16+ hours per day and eat 75% of my calories after 6pm, right up until I crawl into bed at 10.

So according to what you have stated, I have a slow metabolism and not able to maintain / build lean tissue?
  • Jenthin
    Jenthin Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Right for the most part dear....but still nothing wrong with flipping the script and eating your bigger meals eariler in the day! Our metabolic rate changes throughout the day based on activity, age, and lifestyle. Everyone is different and one thing does not work for everyone....just sayin :wink: Have a wonderful day :)
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    According to many diet experts they say you should not eat after 6pm.

On 2 of my exercise days I do not eat until nearer 8pm.

I tried to eat my evening meal before I exercised but it made me feel sick.

Is it really bad to eat this late?

Nope, I work shifts and have absolutely no choice sometimes because I HAVE to eat after 6pm.

Don't eat before you exercise, your heart is already working hard when you workout let alone put it under extra pressure because it will be working hard during digestion too see.

Eat when you decide not when somebody sitting miles away that knows nothing of your situation deems it wise to eat and if that means you eating after 6pm then so be it, it will not ruin your weightloss.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    So.. when you travel and your body is on a different time zone, what do you do?? I mean... sure.. it may be 8am where you are NOW, but your body is on 2am schedule! OMGZ think of the sabotage!!!!!:sad:
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So how about this for you -- yesterday once I entered everything I was about 500 calories short of my goal - I had a big workout that burned a lot of calories and I was bad and didn't each lunch. If you don' feel hungry and are still under your calorie daily goal, are you better off eating a little something because of the whole "starvation mode" concern, or not and just take a loss that day?

I know what you mean I was like that on Monday after doing exercise but i physically could not eat anymore.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Lunch should be your "big" meal of the day. Eat light at dinner and snack time, no matter the time of day/evening.

"Don't eat before bed" is myth. Probably from the same people who sell the grapefruit diet.

It is important to eat something every 2-4 hours. Studies have shown that this keeps your metabolism up and helps you to maintain and/or build lean muscle tissue. Skipping meals has the opposite effect.

I guess I'm falling apart. I fast for 16+ hours per day and eat 75% of my calories after 6pm, right up until I crawl into bed at 10.

So according to what you have stated, I have a slow metabolism and not able to maintain / build lean tissue?
    No, but why would you?
    That sounds miserable fasting 16 hours.