Wake up stupid!

I made it through the first day. It's not like I didn't know I should lose weight. Last year my Doctor called me morbidly obese. I was offended. He also recommended me for bypass surgery, saying I was a good canidate...I was offended. Since I last seem him (he is not my doctor anymore), I continued to gain weight about 40 more pounds. I have seen woman fatter than me who look morbidly obease. One day I sat on a bench infront of a hospital watching a woman being wheeled out because she was to fat to walk. I wanted to see how she got in her van. I know it was rude of me but she was what I would call morbidly obease, not me! I wanted to know what weight a person had to be to be called this offending word and did I really fit in this picture? I was surly on the way. So short and so fat. I did not want to address the issue or face it so I merrily went on my way to eat myself to death. This is a fight, a fight for my life, both my grandmothers weighed 300lbs or more, one had a stroke and the other a heart attack. My whole family is fat, what do you want me to do? I guess it is wake up time...

Replies

• agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    I made it through the first day. It's not like I didn't know I should lose weight. Last year my Doctor called me morbidly obese. I was offended. He also recommended me for bypass surgery, saying I was a good canidate...I was offended. Since I last seem him (he is not my doctor anymore), I continued to gain weight about 40 more pounds. I have seen woman fatter than me who look morbidly obease. One day I sat on a bench infront of a hospital watching a woman being wheeled out because she was to fat to walk. I wanted to see how she got in her van. I know it was rude of me but she was what I would call morbidly obease, not me! I wanted to know what weight a person had to be to be called this offending word and did I really fit in this picture? I was surly on the way. So short and so fat. I did not want to address the issue or face it so I merrily went on my way to eat myself to death. This is a fight, a fight for my life, both my grandmothers weighed 300lbs or more, one had a stroke and the other a heart attack. My whole family is fat, what do you want me to do? I guess it is wake up time...
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Go into tools and calculate your Body Mass Index. It is based on your height and weight. It is all to do with the % of body fat to the height and weight of your body. I don't see what matters as long as you feel healthy, agitch. If YOU are comfortable and healthy with YOUR body, don't let anyone tell you different. It is a scale to measure.
    This site is a great tool to help manage your diet and exercise, and to hopefully meet some new friends along the way. Congratulations on taking charge of your life and welcome to Myfitnesspal!
    ~~Jenn
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    i feel what you are saying. proper nutrition and exercise have to be life style changes. you get a good menu plan, one that is low glycemic fruits and vegetables and lean meats keeping you at 1200 calories a day and you develop a muscle building plan for five days a week and cardio for five days a week. then you live one day at a time. reward yourself for small wins along the way. don't go so much by what the scale tells you but by how your clothes are fitting. keep a fat outfit so that further in the journey should you get caught up in a low week you can try on that outfit and marvel at your success. yes you are going to work hard to regain a healthy life. its worth it. aside from how the word sounds i would consider that i was morbidly obese when i began and i weighed over 200 lbs. i am now 150 lbs and i am realistically still 30 lbs over weight. i am 5'6" and my ideal weight is 120 lbs. i will get there and so will you if you start and do not quit.
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Love the new pic, Pam!
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    agitch.....
    I also have felt that way. When I was told I was overweight, when I look at others who are bigger than I am, when I look at my family..... I USED TO always say that I am not that bad. But wake up is right. Scales don't lie.

This is a fight for your life and your health. And the best part is it is a fight you will win because you have awoken from your slumber. Time to get a move on and get this weight off, huh? You will be so happy when it starts happening for you. Hang in there, your journey for a healthier, better you is about to begin!!!!

Welcome!
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    When a doctor calls someone morbidly obese they should be slapped with my morbidly obese hand.
    Are you fat? The answer may depend on which test you take.

If you’re going by your body mass index, or BMI, a measure that factors in your weight and height, you are considered overweight if that score is 25 to 29, and obese if it’s 30 or higher. But a surprising new study finds that some people with a BMI pushing 28 actually have little body fat — and some folks with a BMI as low as 24 have too much.
    This index is nothing more than an easy reference to height and weight nothing more. IF it was true measure of health 99% of all body builders are morbidly obese. What they do look at is their body fat percentage. It is recommended that women have between 20 to 25 % body fat and men 10 to 15% body fat for good health.
    But who cares about all this I know I don't. I have one job do my best to lose weight because I want to. Not because a doctor calls me a horrible name. I'm glad your here I'm glad your on your way to a healthier lifestyle. And no matter what anyone says you are beautiful.
  • agitch
    agitch Posts: 47
    I want to thank everyone for the kind words. I feel inspired by you all. Thanks again...AGITCH
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Hello and welcome. I joined here just last Saturday. So I am new too.
    I do understand that being called morbidly obese stung and hurt your feelings. I was called that at one time a doctor, also…..and I was…just that….morbidly obese.
    I use to weigh 311 pounds. I have lost 171 pounds. I did not have any surgery of any kind to lose the weight either. I have kept it off now for 3 years. Now I am working to keep it off.
    I found something on the internet that may help explain why he said that to you. It wasn’t to insult you. He was describing your physical condition. Please remember these are not my words…I did get this from the internet….but it does explain what Morbid Obesity is. I hope it helps.
    But, before you read it, I want to share with you what one of my doctors said to me when I reached 300 pounds. The doctor walked in, looked at my chart and asked me “What are you trying to do, become a Sumo Wrestler?” and then turned around and told me my boobs were too big all in the same visit. He is no longer my doctor….for other reasons.
    But here is what I found and I hope it helps explain the term.
    Loretta

~~~~~~~~~
    What is Morbid Obesity?

Though we all use the terms "fat" and "obese" casually in conversation,
    there is a medical definition of the condition—and yes, obesity is
    considered a health "condition."

According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a person is
    considered "obese" when he or she weighs 20 percent or more than his or
    her ideal body weight. At that point, the person's weight poses a real
    health risk. Obesity becomes "morbid" when it significantly increases the
    risk of one or more obesity-related health conditions or serious diseases
    (also known as co-morbidities). Morbid obesity—sometimes called
    "clinically severe obesity"—is defined as being 100 lbs. or more over ideal
    body weight or having a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or higher.

According to the NIH Consensus Report, morbid obesity is a serious
    chronic disease, meaning that its symptoms build slowly over an extended
    period of time. Today 97 million Americans, more than one-third of the
    adult population, are overweight or obese. An estimated 5-10 million of
    those are considered morbidly obese.
  • I kind of kno how you feel! I went to the "female" doctor last Friday and she stood there and told be I needed to loose weight before I have kids! My husband and I have decided to start a family! Now I know that I need to get healthy but it just hurts to hear coming from a tooth pick! So she put me on a 1200 calorie diet and I have been sticking to it! I go back to see her in two weeks and I'm bound and determied to show here that I can do it! You hang in there!