Is anyone finding it hard to eat all the daily calories?

Options

Replies

• chicnsweet83
    Options
    Someday's I pig out on junk food...other days I eat healthy all day long...and then there are days when i'm not hungry at all. I have a really hard time sticking to calories. But I have managed to maintain my weight for awhile now.
  • lawmama_
    lawmama_ Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i don't really have this problem since i love to eat lol. but if you are having this problem, i would say that it's really not necessary to eat ALL your exercise calories back. maybe eat back just half of them. otherwise, try to have something that is high in GOOD calories, like some peanut butter or a protein shake or some grilled chicken. good luck!
  • gourmetgal77
    gourmetgal77 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It is best to eat clean, but eat to goal daily no matter what.
    A McD cheeseburger should do the trick even though is not clean eating.
    Seriously, eating a few "bad" foods and reaching goals beats clean foods that fall short of your daily calorie goal. Your progress is stifled by not eating to goal.
    That's just more self-sabotage.
    Eat to goal no matter what; your body does not know or care the reasons why.
    It's just registering the too large deficit, and while you may lose weight for a season, what will be the quality of the weight loss, and does it lead to optimal health?

Just eat to goal; none of us got too heavy not knowing how to eat.
    What do you mean eat clean? I am fairly new to this site, and not sure what you mean....
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever eat all my calories......I have been told by many people including my dietician, doctor and curves instructor that I should but I just can't eat that many more at night.

Good luck with this and with your weight loss in general. I am older and can only do Curves so I don't have all the high calorie burning exercise that most people have.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    If youre not hungry after 7pm you are living in the land of the blessed.:glasses:
  • Cortx
    Cortx Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If i have calories left over ...and i'm not hungry ... I don't eat them. I see people say to eat them or eat more or you won't lose weight. Sounds stupid to me. If you have calories left and you're not hungry then don't eat it. You can't lose weight by forcing yourself to eat.

Eat less and lose
    Eat more and don't lose
    simple
  • Cortx
    Options
    I also think it is weird how people eat there calories they burned from exercising, i mean if you eat them all back then it was pointless in exercising to lose them ...

and if you want to eat them, don't complain about it when you don;t lose weight.

I totally agree with the girl who said her boyfriend was a personal trainer and what he said.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    MaximalLife....whether you're right or wrong, I love your intensity.
  • gourmetgal77
    Options
    I am in this same boat the last couple of days -- I have started doing the 30 minute Free Jog on my Wii Fit, but jog around my living room instead of in place while I watch TV. I am doing about 4 miles in the 30 minute time frame, and it is "earning" me about an extra 400-500 calories a day when you count the other Wii Fit activities I do. The last 2 days I have not met my calorie goal and have received the "warning" from mfp.... so now what? Do I decrease my exercise? That doesn't really make sense to me.... and eating just to use up my calories totally goes against the whole - only eat if/when you are hungry.
  • Cortx
    Options
    i agree with her answer
  • BeachBody77
    Options
    I have really enjoyed reading everyone's comment on this topic because I am new to MFP too and I too find it hard at times w/ my Calorie Intake. Sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under....I know it will take some practice to balance this out...for now I'll just keep trying until I get it right. Gnite All!
  • BevsCalerieCount
    BevsCalerieCount Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've read in several health articles that you should not eat less than 1200 calories a day, doing so slows your metabolizum (sp). If you are over the 1200 and not hungry I would not worry about the additional cals. you earn.
  • gourmetgal77
    Options
    i agree with her answer

Whose answer?
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Get a jar of peanut butter and a bottle of olive oil. You won't have this problem any more.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cortx
    Options
    You will get 100 opinions saying eat them and 100 saying dont eat them!!!
    WRONG!
    There are no opinions that matter - only what this site is actually set up for.
    MFP expects you to eat them, and if you do not, you are following some other program apart from the MFP recommendations.
    That's not opinion but fact.
    The confusion is wrought by those NOT following the MFP prescribed program of safe, healthy weight loss.
    MFP calculates our total daily calorie intake WITHOUT exercise to lose 1 pound or so per week.
    And after we log exercises, our daily calorie limit increases.
    Why?
    Because MFP telling us to eat our exercise calories.
    Large deficits are unhealthy, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In many cases you'll lose lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS your metabolic rate, making weight loss harder.
    These crash diets work well for a season -- and sure enough, the pounds melt away. But when you eat so
    few calories, you train your metabolism to slow down. Once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Be smart.
    Exercise well both cardio and resistance, and eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.

and as you know maximal, MFP is wrong about the 1200 calorie a day thing for most people.

I dont like to be mean on this wonderful site, but whoever wrote this is an idiot.
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Initially I had the same problem (most days I had between 400-600 calories left over), and if I wasn't hungry then I didn't eat them (and I personally never had a plateau or had my body go into starvation mode, like so many people say will happen if you don't eat them back). However, now as I am almost to the goal weight (so I have less allotted calories to eat than when I started) I almost always eat within 100 calories of what I am supposed to. Do what is best for you and if you do have a plateau you can always try to change up your routine.
  • Cortx
    Options
    Well, my boyfriend used to be a personal trainer and I asked him about this and he said it was ridiculous to eat the calories you lose because it would defeat the purpose. And I agree. This thing of mfp giving you extra calories when you burn them is just weird. Think about it - why would you try and burn all of these calories to then get them back? Doesn't make much sense, does it?

So far the person who wrote this seems to be the only one who knows what they are talking about. It is common sense pretty much.
  • lilsteviep
    Options
    Congrats. Have a coctail, it will use up extra calories quick. :blushing:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I also think it is weird how people eat there calories they burned from exercising, i mean if you eat them all back then it was pointless in exercising to lose them ...

and if you want to eat them, don't complain about it when you don;t lose weight.

I totally agree with the girl who said her boyfriend was a personal trainer and what he said.

Look, the way that MFP was set up, your deficit needed to lose weight is *already included in your calorie intake*. When you burn more calories, you need to refuel your body to make sure that you don't create too much of a deficit. You need to focus on your NET calories, not on your gross intake.

It is NEVER pointless to exercise.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options

No, no, no! I don't agree with this at all! ): Here's my personal example: I am 5'7, and my "maintenance" calories for the weight I was (192): 2198. I set up my MFP with a weekly deficit of 1000 calories, for a two pound loss per week. However, this is if I am SEDENTARY, desk job, doing NO exercise. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and do the elliptical for an hour. If I burn 700 calories doing the elliptical, this burns off all but 500 of the calories I have set up MFP for. This is NOT sustainable, healthy, and is dangerous in the long run! If I "eat back" those calories, and eat a total of 1900 a day @ 700 calories burned in exercise, I will STILL lose two pounds a week! Any more than that is wreaking havoc on my metabolism, my mental health, and my ability to sustain both diet and exercise to reach my goals.