A male observation concerning TOM

Options
2»

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself during that time b/c I still consistently lose weight during that time, most of the time. LOL Last month I lost 1.2 lbs during that week. I ain't scared of TOM. I stick to my calories, drink my water, and do my exercise, and watch my progress as it continues even during the evil week.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The bigger question is why would a guy even start a TOM thread???
  • lungry1980
    Options
    I litterally just went through this. My weigh date was Monday. I only lossed 1 pound but then I went ahead and reweighed on Wed just to make sure that I was still on track. I was actually down 3 pounds. I dont gain weight the week before like one of the other ladies mentioned. What I figured is since my weigh day is Mondays, that I will record what the scale says regardless of that TOM and the next week I will probably be suprised and the weight I have lost (or Not).
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    OP, it's so cute how you think all women have regular, predictable cycles.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

B/c there aren't enough of them on MFP already. LOL
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    All the male species needs to know about TOM week is stay the heck away from the fun box for a week and head to the man cave... nuff said....
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    This TOM dude sounds like a real jerk, LOL!
    Totally, man...LOL
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    It concerns me that this concerns you.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options

B/c there aren't enough of them on MFP already. LOL

Can we have a TOM forum section?
  • Anjeroo
    Options
    From reading the replies the answers speak for themselves. The women that do find a few pounds of gain enjoy seeing it go on, knowing what it is... and waiting for it to come off later. I used to use TOM as an excuse to indulge, now it's an incentive to see 3-4 pounds go on... but 5-6 come off!!! I also need to point out this is a MONTHLY thing... lasting 3-7 days depending on the woman. IF I went 3-4 days never MIND a whole week without weighing myself I'd either be worried sick (and eating everything in sight as I'm an emotional eater) that I'm gaining (because of the bloated-ness which takes up more space in my clothing than it seems to on the scale) or I'd use it as an excuse to eat the foods I crave (thus gaining weight anyways). I hold myself accountable for my actions. I can't help the fluid/water gain but I DO agree that with exercise regularly the symptoms and the water gain are much less... but I can't stop it from happening. THe real testament was that I actually got slammed with TOM ANNNNNND a flu bug in December. While throwing up for days on end... I STILL gained 3 pounds... 'nuff said. I do find workouts harder to be motivated, cramps and pain is just like trying to work out with a cold or oncoming flu and I hate the muscle fatigue... it comes on faster and lasts longer if I do weights during that time.

To those girls that don't notice the weight, don't get it or aren't affected... they're just the lucky ones, but they also don't get that scale drop afterwards either.

I"m also in agreement that only a sweet and brave man would start a TOM thread. Hopefully he's supporting a loved lady on her trek and maybe needed a better understanding? Props to you :)
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I avoid the scale for that very reason. It is a mental game for me, I don't like to see the scale move up even if I know why it is more. On the other hand, it can be nice to monitor your body and get to know it very well and how it cycles. It is all just data and feedback.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I usually bloat in the few days prior to TOM, then by the 3rd day of TOM I can see a noticeable decrease in bloating, that's the best time for me to weigh and feel happy. I don't tend to have monster cravings though so my eating habits don't really change. I also know that working out helps with the cramping, even though I have to force myself to get started. So worth it in the long run.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This TOM dude sounds like a real jerk, LOL!

Yep, a real jerk! I do it because I like to notice trends so I know when it is just a trend, not real weight gain. Being older, my trends are changing. Not just at the end of the month. So, it's less upsetting when I know when the bloat is just bloat by following the ups and downs.

It must take more calories, too. So sometimes i take advantage of that and buckle down to lose some. If I can talk myself through it, knowing what it is. Instead of gobbling all food in front of me.

For those younger ladies: your time will come! Lose weight while it's easier!