Creepy guys at the gym

Options
thankyou4thevenom
thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
So I today I made my first move into the free weights area, just to do deadlifts. I come out of there and am followed by this guy into the multi use area. He stands there and watches me (while he's exercising). He rushes over to help me when I put back 5 kg weights (lol really? they're not that heavy) and I see him when he's grabbing new weights checking out my *kitten*. You know one of those unmistakable 'checking you out' looks.

I just ignored him though out. What would you have done?

Replies

• ffuunnnnyy__ggiirrll
    Options
    I would have asked him if he liked the view.

ETA: By letting him know you saw him it usually will make him stop.
  • Happyguy
    Happyguy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Sounds like he's just being a guy. LOL

I had to add this: It isn't polite to make people uncomfortable though.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I would have done what you did. Ignored him.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    punch him in the face
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not female.
    I'd calmly walk over, grab his head and crush his face into my boobs.
    IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT!???

What a bad girl I would be!
  • CSummers316
    Options
    Since I am a guy, if I had a creepy guy checkin me out, I probably woulda punched him in the throat. That is appropriate, right? :P
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not female.
    I'd calmly walk over, grab his head and crush his face into my boobs.
    IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT!???

What a bad girl I would be!

No you wouldn't.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Never happened to me, but just wanted to say I like the OP's avatar graphic. Very funny, very cool :)
  • rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    i dont go to a gym but i do swim frequently and there are just as many creepy men at the pool. i go there with intention of swimming my 1.5 miles w/o stoppeing and they think i cant see them when im swimming . . . . morons!!

just tell myself they are jealous of my swimming technique and abilities LMAO jk jk
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    "thanks, but I've got it."

And I wear sweats and a tee. They stare a lot less when I do that.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I hate that. I would have ignored him as well. Guys like that make it so uncomfortable for women to use the free weights. I personally dont go to the gym to pick up a guy I go to work out. When I first started going I had to take off my wedding ring because my hands would swell up thankfully I can leave it on now and they dont bother me as much.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I would have asked if there was a particular pose he would like me to do or if he was simply happy with what I was doing. Most people would be embarrassed by this, mumble an apology and do everything they can to avoid looking at you. Lol.

*If people are going to stare at me they have to be prepared for the awkwardness that comes with it.*
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    He probably just got excited over a cute girl. It sounds like normal man behavior to me. If you wanted him to stop you should have spoken up. Otherwise, ignore and be secretly flattered.
  • marquesajen
    Options
    "Can I help you?"
    "I can handle this, thanks."

Oooooor you could fart really loudly next to him if he tries to help you again. THAT would be the cat's pajamas!
  • anewattitude
    anewattitude Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Ignoring him is probably best. If that doesn't work, try picking your nose in front of him. I guarantee he will no longer rush over to help you put away the weights and he probably will no longer be interested in checking you out. In fact, you will likely have the weight station all to yourself from that point on! lol
  • bosstimmy
    Options
    Make no eye contact. for some reason men think that when you stare/ glare back at them for ANY REASON whatsoever, that you are checking them out back.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time. I hate it. Sometimes they make comments. It makes me really uncomfortable. I usually ignore them and carry on doing my thing, but I'm scared one day I'm going to snap and tell them to take a long walk off a short pier.
  • ambut
    ambut Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The sausage-fest in the weight room kept me from lifting for WAY too long. Now I go in there all the time with no worries, but it was an issue for me to "break in". Although getting checked out isn't necessarily a bad thing, I don't know that I would EVER want that in the gym. I'm there to work...if you're not there to work that's fine, but don't be a creeper.

In reality, I probably would have ignored him, but my suggestion would be to meet eyes with him and give him a bug-eyed kind of "hellooooo?!?" look, just to let him know that he's staring and being obvious. 90% of the time, that will dissuade a dude from doing it again. The other 10% will take the opportunity to hit on you, which is at least direct enough for you to turn down and get past.
  • ejoy319
    ejoy319 Posts: 104
    Options
    i dont go to a gym but i do swim frequently and there are just as many creepy men at the pool. i go there with intention of swimming my 1.5 miles w/o stoppeing and they think i cant see them when im swimming . . . . morons!!

just tell myself they are jealous of my swimming technique and abilities LMAO jk jk

This old guy at the Y told me I had a great stroke, he was like a swim stalker for awhile... had to change up my routine.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    There is a guy that comes into my work that also goes to my gym. He apparently told our dock guys he could stare at me all day long. I literally see him everyday at the gym and he always makes a point to say hi to me or when doing cardio get a machine next to me... creee--eeepppyy! Luckily my boyfriend and I go to the gym at the same time =) He is clueless tho hehe.