Future baby name

Options

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Bakura? Are you serious? Nooo. Pick a name that is easy to yell out the front door when it's time for you child to come back in the house! (the easiest is bob) I didn't pick that one. lol
    I like Gianna Kate (or Kay- still undecided). My less than 15 hour old grand-daughters name! :)
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    How about Sophie?
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!!...Your child will hate their name and change it when she's 18. Both of my children have unique names but I had to make sure they didn't sound like I had a mouth full of sh** when I say it. Sorry but names are so sensitive. At my job we have a running list of terrible names like Jewelry, Africanique...WTH?!?!

My friend is a kindergarten teacher and she told me some of the names of the kids in her class and I was dumbfounded

Twins name: Orangejello (Or-ran-Jay-Lo) Yellowjello (Ya-Lan-Jay-Lo)
    and the topper (I not even sure MFP will let me type this) A s s h o l e (accent on the e, can't figure out how to type that accent mark) so it's prounounced (*kitten*- o- LAY)

I wish I was joking.

to continue with this one:
    Sexana (girl) and her brother Pleasure

Le-A (pronunced Lee-dash-a. to qoute the mom "I don't know why everybody calls her Lea, the dash don't be silent")

My fave comes from my old job:
    Female Conception

I'm with the above comment I only wish i was joking!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    How about Sophie?

I really love the name Sophie, my cousin's is Sofie.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I know a lady.. her parents named her....... Fonda ****s.... serious.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I have an Olivia and an Isabella (Bella). Olivia was already pretty popular, but I liked it. Bella was named before the craze for Isabella hit. My girls are half Mexican and I wanted names that would be easy for both sides of their family to pronounce. I don't really like the name, especially after hearing the meaning, but one of the benefits of being a parent is choosing the name. No one else gets to do that job!
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of Veruca Salt, the whiny rich girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
  • Mandykinz2008
    Mandykinz2008 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!!!...Your child will hate their name and change it when she's 18. Both of my children have unique names but I had to make sure they didn't sound like I had a mouth full of sh** when I say it. Sorry but names are so sensitive. At my job we have a running list of terrible names like Jewelry, Africanique...WTH?!?!

My friend is a kindergarten teacher and she told me some of the names of the kids in her class and I was dumbfounded

Twins name: Orangejello (Or-ran-Jay-Lo) Yellowjello (Ya-Lan-Jay-Lo)
    and the topper (I not even sure MFP will let me type this) A s s h o l e (accent on the e, can't figure out how to type that accent mark) so it's prounounced (*kitten*- o- LAY)

I wish I was joking.

I taught for 4 years..I had an *kitten* (ah-swayl-ley) and an Abcd (ab-si-dee). Just because interesting names in that respect exist doesn't mean I'd recommend one for your child. I am, however, a firm believer in that's a parent's decision. I wouldn't personally EVER name my child any of those names, but to each their own.
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Well I personally done care for it, BUT you will be the mother and its your choice as to what you name YOUR child! We have already had all the kids that we can and we did try to be a bit different with our childrens names! I am Irish and my husband is Italian so we kinda mixed it up a bit lol!

Daughter~ Krystiana Lynn (pronounced Krys T on uh) lol
    Son~ Vincent Mathew
    Son~ Anthony Luciano

Most people hate how my daughters name is spelled, but I compromised with the hubby. I picked the name and he spelled it lol. And no one in my family likes the middle name Luciano...but I really dont care haha
  • CrazyDaisysMommy
    Options
    What was it about the name that you liked?
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had one of the most unique names in my class growing up (Leah... not all that exotic, but still) and I HATED it. I wanted to be Kate or Meg or any of the million same names and not stand out. Doesn't help that my maiden name was Jones, either. And my dad's name is Dave. Yup, Davey Jones.

My married name is Hancock, and I kid you not, my FIL's name is John. I won't be doing that to my kids, but I do get all judgy-pants when I hear a lot of the names that are around lately. **shudder**

Having said all that, the wildest name I've ever been drawn to (and only as a middle name) is Florian, because he's the patron saint of firefighters, and my husband's a firefighter.
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb: If you have to explain how to pronounce it or how to spell it, then think again.

Do not subject a child to a lifetime of correcting people who misspell or mispronounce their unique name.
  • angied80
    angied80 Posts: 749
    Options
    I know a lady.. her parents named her....... Fonda ****s.... serious.

I mean d#cks
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Isn't Baruka the whiny little brat's name from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

Yep. Its also an onion.

Oh... & as for the baby names thing? I'd pick something that isn't going to be manipulated by children into an evil nickname.

My favourite name for a girl would still have to be "Islay"... it's an Irish Whiskey company.... & my BF's last name is Celtic... I might even be able to USE it *assuming* we get married & have kids! Alternatives, "Ethany" "Elise" and... LONG before I EVER read the Harry Potter series, was "Hermione"... the female version of "Herman"... but I don't think I can use that one now. EVER. Thank you J.K. Rowling. Girls *LOVE* pretty/unusual names.

For boys, I would go traditional too... something a kid can live with for YEARS... like "Eric", "Blair"....

Oh... & my mom was a teacher... she taught (no kidding):

Jermaine St Jermaine (known as Rudy)
    Willow Frost (WTF?)
    Triplets "Sheldon, Shelley, and Michelle" (GOOD LORD)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When I was an exchange student in Florida - so well before i moved here - there was a girl in my High School who was named - wait for it -

Bonnie Anne Clyde

Gotta love parents that are high when giving the name for their child...

WINNING!!
  • Salexan13
    Options
    Personally if I ever met someone named Bakura I would laugh because that name sounds ridiculous :)
  • Kassileigh
    Kassileigh Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A general rule of thumb: If you have to explain how to pronounce it or how to spell it, then think again.

Do not subject a child to a lifetime of correcting people who misspell or mispronounce their unique name.
    I agree with this. I have spent my life having to spell my name for people-not to mention people thought I had a speech impediment and just couldnt say 'Kathy'...not so bad now as its fairly popular (of course, spelled normally)

I find the difference between North AMerican names and British names interesting...I always think NA names sound very 'soap opera' lol

My dauglhter is Freya (Fray-ya) and its a traditional Skandinavian name-she was a goddess. Its very popular in the UK now.
    My son is Joe-after his grandfathers, its fairly common but suits him down to the ground.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Isn't Baruka the whiny little brat's name from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

No, that's Veruca.

My wife and I finally agreed on baby names. Alexander (Lex) Nolan Arthur for a boy and Juliana Mae for a girl.
  • littletiger97
    littletiger97 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

This happens to me all the time! My name is Kerensa (pronounced Ker-in-sa) and people mispronounce it constantly and I always have to spell it...UGH!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I love Andrew Jacob!!!!

My daughter is Anneliese Rose (nickname Anna). Vintage but not weird and surprisingly coming back a little but not so much that every kid will have it!!!