5"8-5"9 goal weights??

Options

Replies

• babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Does your goal have to be a weight? I put a number on my weight loss when calculating my calorie goals, but I really want to be more in shape so I can do the things I want. I also want to look better in my clothes. I use the scale to make sure I'm going the right way, but other than that I look to other qualifications for my goal.

I agree with this. I'm also 5" 8.5'. My initial goal weight was 168, it's now 154; however my focus is on upon toning and building muscle (and thus to decrease my body fat percentage), and how my clothes fit- I'm aiming, I think, to be a sold UK size 12 (US size 10), I'm currently, I think, a large 12. I'm also focusing on increasing my fitness levels.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Your bone structure has a lot to do with what's an appropriate weight. Judge by how you feel and look, not by figures on a scale. Definitely don't try to go too low; too skinny is not attractive.
    I totally agree! I have a friend who is only one inch shorter than me but she is way tinier and my wrists are way bigger than hers!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8'' and 185lbs.

My first goal is to get to a healthy BMI of 154lbs.

Second goal is to get to 140lbs or a UK Size 12 (so if I get to 140lbs and can't get into a 12 then I will keep going - or work a bit harder to tone up!)
  • texancountess
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and currently 148.5, I'm aiming for 145 and a reevaluation at that point. I think my goal after that will be to tone up as much as I can while maintaining the same weight. I don't see anything wrong with aiming for a lower weight. My initial goal weight was 155, then 150, and now 145. As long as you are willing to stay healthy and do the work, I don't see a problem with choosing a weight on the lower end of the scale. I have a small frame (seriously, I have the tiniest wrists of all the girls in my family) so I'd rather weigh on the lower end of the BMI range for my height.

Good luck to you!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and my first goal weight was 150.. which I have pretty much met. I may try to get down to 140(ultimate goal weight) but I'm not sure.

If you are not lifting weights already , I urge you to start. It made the biggest difference in my body.
  • Missrachelf
    Options
    I have my goal at 132, so I can always be under 135. I know that may seem thin, but I worked hard and like the way I look as a "4". I was a 14 and hated the way I look. I'm currently 135. I was 132 , then I fluctuate back to 135. I really want to target my hips where your underwear gives you a dent.

3160457.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my original goal weight was 138, but I still wasn't satisfied with the way I look so now it's 132, but really I'm going based on measurements and not the scale. Easier said than done since I've been focused so long on the number on the scale!
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 9" and CW is 157 on a good day. I wear a size 6 and its is ONLY because of lifting heavy weights. I would like to get to 150 but I am more interested in how my clothes fit, and measurements. I have fitness goals of bench pressing my body weight and doing a pull-up by July. Body Fat % is also more important to me then the scale number, would love to get to a 20%, I think I am about a 25% now. Goals are great and if you break them up in smaller pieces I think it is easier. Don't ever give up and whatever your goal is can be reached. Keep on keeping on!

The scale is a lying, cheating, harsh indicator of all we have accomplished. Throw it out the window!
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Im 5' 8", my current weight is 144, first goal is 132 but ultimate is 126
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" my goal weight is whatever gets me to body fat of 20%. Right now I'm 147 and body fat of about 21.5%. I wouldn't go by the scale, but by the way your body looks and the way your clothes fit. Good luck!!
  • positivelylisa
    positivelylisa Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 ish. Current bw is 205 and that is down 8 lbs since the beginning of the year, and 5 more before that in off and on attempts.

I've done WW a gazillion times, and the first time when I truly followed it AND exercised it worked. I was down to 182. That is my lowest since high school that I noticed. My goal weight then was 175. Before kids I never weighed myself, I just went by clothes fit. That is my true goal. To fit into probably a 12, feel good in them, look good in them and forget about scale numbers. I'm 42 and I just want to be sure I feel good and stay healthy as I get older. I don't feel old AT ALL, because I'm not! :) But I was starting to a year or so ago. Too out of shape to play with my son. To anxious about my weight to enjoy being out in the summer. That ALL has to go. I'm guessing my bw will be about 165 - 170 then. We'll see.

It's been a long time since I felt any goal weight was attainable, I feel strong and empowered since I started using MFP correctly and really working, not strolling, on the treadmill. Looking forward watching the scale go the right direction!!

Best of luck to you on your weight loss, try to find a non scale related goal to put along side your goal weight, to keep things 'sane'!
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft8.5 (: currently 150lbs, would definitely like to be in the 120s, and maybe even lower.
  • breannaritchie
    breannaritchie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    im 5'8, and i am about 153 right now. I would be happy at 140 but im hoping that i can get down to 135. im
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I am 5"9, my goal is to get to about 150 then put on a few pounds of muscle and be able to stick around 150-155. I am not sure what your workouts consist of but maybe added or increasing the weight training would firm you up without having to lose much more weight. I agree with may of the other posts that your goal should be a look and not a weight.

Good luck!
  • iluminadaonix
    iluminadaonix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9". I'm maintaining at129-132. I'm currently 130. I like that weight! I'm also still in the healthy range. My doctor told me 129 is the lowest I can be and be healthy
  • poppyspice
    Options
    I'm 5'8"-when I was younger anything under 150 was absolutely impossible to maintain. I think a healthy weight for me was in the 155-160 range. I can say I'm probably medium-framed but pretty muscular. At almost 50, I am going to evaluate goals at 200 and 175-that would be in the 14-16 size range for me. I can't wait to be able to shop in the "regular" sizes again! Evaluate your goals by how you look and feel-muscle mass, frame and our own preference for curves (or not) makes a specific number hard to target.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8"-5'9" depending on the day. My current goal is 160, though I may reevaluate once I get there. I have quite a bit of time to think about it, lol.
  • annavt09
    annavt09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    5'8" w/ current weight of 139. Current goal is 135, but I still have LOTS of chub, especially in the tummy. 125-130 looks good on me. I guess it depends on body type, bone structure, etc. I have a friend same height, 135 lbs and looks thin as a rail. Go by how you look not number on the scale.
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    I think this can vary widely. I'm 5'8 and weigh 111.5 and I look fine. Everyone's bone structures are different.
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    Double post