Fiber One bars/brownies = Bug Secretions! SERIOUSLY!

Options

Replies

• lisa91263
    Options
    bump
  • jereibold
    jereibold Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    LMAO, You guys crack me up!! I like the fiber one borwnies also. I'll still eat them. I eat maybe 1 a day or every other day. Takes the craving away!
  • MrzBlessedLady
    MrzBlessedLady Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well, they sure are good and I think I will still be eating them lol
  • lcardullo
    Options
    This worked for me - I have lost my appetite completely!
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    A smoothie that is anything but sweet, to me, is gross. Veggies and tzaiki (Sp?) in a smoothie makes my stomach turn. Sorry! It does sound healthy though.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Bugs are in just about everything oh well. And the Fiber One brownies are too damn good to pass on. Especially heated.
  • seaglass2
    Options
    Why eat that overprocessed crap? If you feel like having chocolate - have it and enjoy it. Buy a high quality (Trader Joe's has some fabulous organic chocolate) have a couple of squares which total approximately 100 calories and satisfy your chocolate craving.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would be incredibly naive to think that bug shells, or whatever, are the worst things that I eat on my food.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Why eat that overprocessed crap? If you feel like having chocolate - have it and enjoy it. Buy a high quality (Trader Joe's has some fabulous organic chocolate) have a couple of squares which total approximately 100 calories and satisfy your chocolate craving.

Organic stuff has bugs too.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I am not at all a lucky person. But I feel SO lucky to have found this site. It's SO GREAT to be among so many like-minded people who are NOT eating the crap society tells us to

I love you guys! I love MFP- here's to a long HEALTHY HAPPY LIFE FOR US ALL!

CHEERS
  • gnrduff1
    gnrduff1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Bug secretions don't bother me. Hundreds of millions of people eat bugs for their protein intake in food scarce regions. The other stuff bothers me, but the bug secretions don't really bother me. Neither does the Red#4 thing. Oh well big deal.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I love threads that the op never shows backup for additional conversation...but I digress.

Fiber one bars are far better than most of the snack foods out there. Corn syrup isn't near the same as HFCS, don't confuse them. Fully hydrogenated isn't near the same as Partially hydrogenated (fully hydrogenated are not transfat like partially hydrogenated are), again, don't confuse them...

I feel your argument on the fibre one bars has some good points but is mostly flawed.

Edit: somehow I missed where it said HFCS in the ingredient list.. My above comments still hold true however on their own.
  • AngelEyes127
    Options
    I have to say, reading this thread, I was thoroughly disgusted as I have the Fiber One bars in my pantry as a quick alternative. But if you really think about it, the FDA regulates this type of thing. The following is an excerpt taken from the FDA's website regarding this very issue:

Title 21, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 110.110 allows the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to establish maximum levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods for human use that present no health hazard. These "Food Defect Action Levels" listed in this booklet are set on this premise--that they pose no inherent hazard to health.........................................

The criteria considered is based on the reported findings (e.g., lengths of hairs, sizes of insect fragments, distribution of filth in the sample, and combinations of filth types found). Moreover, FDA interprets the findings considering available scientific information (e.g., ecology of animal species represented) and the knowledge of how a product is grown, harvested, and processed.

The foods that are listed are too numerous too list, but include things that we use every day, such as flour, berries, apple butter, spices, mushrooms, nuts, peanut butter, popcorn, tomato juice, tomato sauces.

For more foods go to: http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidancedocuments/sanitation/ucm056174.htm
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You eat chemicals every day. What do you think food is made of? Yes, an apple is made of chemicals. If it wasn't, it wouldn't exist.

Whatever happened to "everything in moderation"?

Regarding concerns about bugs, how many little fruit flies and mites and such do you think you've probably eaten in your life but didn't realize?

I would rather eat organic chemicals than inorganic chemicals. Shellac bugs are also used as resin on wood. Stop making excuses for eating badly. An apple is much more nutrient dense than a Fiber One bar and the organic chemistry of an apple is better suited for our bodies than the inorganic and organic chemicals of a Fiber One bar.
  • Paolinat
    Options
    I watched a Dr's program last week that said that every food-EVERY food has a certain amount of bug parts in it from the processing site and that the FDA had to allow for a certain amount because it is virtually impossible to process food in factories without some getting in. Was really gross but you can't stop eating!

You can stop eating it, by stop eating processed foods!

A box of Fiber One bars easier to grab than vegetables? Ridiculous!
  • Paolinat
    Options
    I love threads that the op never shows backup for additional conversation...but I digress.

Fiber one bars are far better than most of the snack foods out there. Corn syrup isn't near the same as HFCS, don't confuse them. Fully hydrogenated isn't near the same as Partially hydrogenated (fully hydrogenated are not transfat like partially hydrogenated are), again, don't confuse them...

I feel your argument on the fibre one bars has some good points but is mostly flawed.

Edit: somehow I missed where it said HFCS in the ingredient list.. My above comments still hold true however on their own.

You are incorrect.
    partially hydrogenated is a trans fat, not found in nature and only in chemical process.
    Fully hydrogenated oils is another name for saturated fats. All the hydrogen bonds have been saturated.
    Neither are good for you and both lead to coronary heart disease. Ask any MD and/or organic chemist.

The difference between corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup, the concentration of fructose in HFCS is higher than corn syrup.
    Have many different syrups means that you adding the frustose (and other sugars) in the product without saying HFCS, when in fact the product now contains more fructose than if the manufacturer would've added HFCS.
  • Paolinat
    Options
    Eat chocolate if you want chocolate and make it good. It is still healthier than a Fiber One bar or brownie.

If you want to make your own bars out of veggies, it is not a new concept.

Check out http://www.usdrybeans.com/category/recipes/bean-deserts-breads/

You can replace butters/oils with applesauce
    Replacement for eggs: 1/2 cup mash bananas or 1 Tbsp ground flax seed to 3 Tbsp of hot water.

Agave syrup has more calories than sugar. Artificial sweeteners have proven to make your body want more sugar and Nutrasweet has some side effects (http://aspartame.mercola.com/)
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    I watched a Dr's program last week that said that every food-EVERY food has a certain amount of bug parts in it from the processing site and that the FDA had to allow for a certain amount because it is virtually impossible to process food in factories without some getting in. Was really gross but you can't stop eating!

Umm.. I bit into a perfectly normal looking organic strawberry the other day, and there was a little worm wriggling around inside it. As long as you're eating food, you can't stop eating bugs. They are in everything. To think that there are more bugs in processed foods than in whole foods is just kind of silly. There are all kinds of parasites and bugs in fresh produce, especially organic.
  • AngelEyes127
    Options

You can still be eating parts of bugs on vegetables too! check out the website from the FDA that I previously posted. Berries, cherries, dates, figs, nectars, apricots, peaches, pears (although they're fresh fruit), mushrooms, peas, black eyed peas are just a few.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you'll chow down on more bugs eating organic ... since, you know, there isn't any pesticide keeping them off. And, yes, I'm ok with eating pesticides. They give things a bit of zing.