Lol your life, vanity sizing.

Options
I recently bought a new skirt for work...in a size six. Now, I have 44" hips and a 27" waist, so logically, there is no way that a six should fit, but it did. Conclusion: it's definitely not really a six.

I've always known vanity sizing was ridiculous, but I had no idea just how bad it really is. :P The size "six" skirt joined two pairs of size "six" dress pants for work. And yet, I have other pairs of pants that are 10s, some in an 8, and even some 12s, depending on how they're cut. The dresses in my closet run anywhere from a size 3 (juniors) to a size 10 (women's). It's insane.

The day I can buy a "four" in pants is the day I'll literally laugh my *kitten* off, and then I really will be a size four down there. :P

What have your experiences with vanity sizing been like? Good, bad? Really f*cked up, like mine? I wish women's clothing was based on some logical measurements (like men's clothing) instead of having magical numbers plucked out of the air and assigned to garments, lol.

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! If I hear Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 one more time, I'm going to post a picture of MY size 14 *kitten*! :laugh:
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Actually men's clothes use vanity sizing as well. A 36 inch waist pants are bigger than 36 :P there's no winning with clothes.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    Oh yeah! If I hear Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 one more time, I'm going to post a picture of MY size 14 *kitten*! :laugh:

HAHA, right? That quote irritates me to no end.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    Actually men's clothes use vanity sizing as well. A 36 inch waist pants are bigger than 36 :P there's no winning with clothes.

Are you even kidding me? D: That must be why the 29s D. wears have to be belted in... I should just learn to make my own clothes, I guess.
  • crissy170
    crissy170 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love that right now at my sorta high end weight of over 200lbs i can be wearing a size "medium" workout ( yoga)pants and they are actually quite roomy!... yet at one point when i was very small at about 145 and im 5'8 i had to buy an Xlarge top and i am not large chested ,, by any stretch of the imagination! rediculous!
  • mamasasa
    mamasasa Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The more money you spend (the "fancier" the label) the smaller the size. LOL
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Totally agree, when we did measurements I realized that even though I can wear a 30 in Silver jeans, my waist is more like a 34 right now, my fiance wears a 34 in mens and his waist is more like a 37.
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    This is why I don't get hung up on "I'm a size ___"--it's impossible to tell anymore. If it fits and looks good, I'm buying it, haha.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I bought two shirts from the same store, one in Small and one in Extra Large. They both fit me the same.
  • liquidjem
    liquidjem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't get hung up on "I'm a size ___"--it's impossible to tell anymore. If it fits and looks good, I'm buying it, haha.

YUP! pretty much how I feel too! :)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I dony care what number I am, just so o don't have to take one of each size into the fitting room, how are you supposed to guess?
  • star87cc
    Options

Agreed!! ^_^
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, but it did make me laugh yesterday when I bought a size "small" sweater. I am in NO WAY small (in my mind).
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options

Depends on the origin of the quote. In the pics I've seen, she looks about an Australian size 14. Over here a US 2 is an Aussie 6.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I bought two pairs of jeans, both from different places but both sit the same place on my hips. One is a UK16 and the other is a UK12. The 16's are smaller than the 12's.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options

HAHA, right? That quote irritates me to no end.

I think when they say Marilyn was a size 14 or 16 I think they mean a British size - at least that is what I have always assumed...which to US/Canadian standards is like a size 10 or 12...which makes more sense. She did have some extra cushioning in the beginning of her career, definitely in comparsion to today's models and actresses...but she wasn't plus size.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I dony care what number I am, just so o don't have to take one of each size into the fitting room, how are you supposed to guess?

Know your measurements and read labels :wink:
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options

In some pics she could pass for UK 14... :ohwell:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    P.S. I totally shop at this one store in Canada that I find the sizes fit big...so then I always have to 'go down' a size...hahaha Makes me feel better when i can fit into a size 6 or 8 when really I know I am a 10....lol Kind of like when a woman wears a sexy pair of panties underneath her clothes. It makes her feel good even if no one else knows...hahaha
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

"Her measurements were recorded by her dressmaker as 36-23-37 and sometimes fluctuated between that and 36-24-37."

http://the-lovely-marilyn-monroe.popsugar.com/What-Marilyns-REAL-size-Models-today-VS-Marilyn-Monroe-144140