gaining back weight?

Options
It's four pounds, but how is that possible? I am on week 2 of insanity and over a month on exercise and following a diet. This past week I have been trying to eat back my exercise calories and it seems to be moving the scale in the opposite direction. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Most people do not lose much weight with Insanity until after 30 days. I too ate my "extra calories" and gained a few pounds...but stabilized. I am on week 3 of Insanity and the weight is starting to drop a little - although I don't want to lose much. I am now down 3 pounds...but I quit scarfing all of my "extra" calories and only use about 1/2. I also use a HRM to get better estimate of calories burn. Hope this helps!
  • nixrun
    nixrun Posts: 44
    Options
    that's my next step, getting a hrm.. i'm trying to estimate as much as possible with how many calories burned but it is hard to do without monitoring your heart rate for sure. i'm not upset about the weight gain because i know a lot of it has to do with gaining muscle, i try to avoid the scale for this reason.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I bought mine (HRM) at ****s Sporting goods for about $60...and then I saw they were half that on Amazon.
  • dyremior
    Options
    YES I am so frustrated as I am sure you are as well. Having lost 60lbs over 1.5 years last Sept. stopped losing, I have tried a lot of things and then found MFP. I started realizing that maybe I was not eating enough for the exercise I do, like today I burned 718 calories on a treadclimber in 50 minutes. So the last week and a half I have eaten back all of the added calories. First weight in up 1 pound, was not that worried as this has become the norm. Well this week up 2 lbs. I will NOT ever eat all the added calories again. I am going to make appt with nutritionist on Monday. Hopefully they can help figure this out. Please add me as friend
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Once you stifle metabolism with crash diets, it may take months to recover.
    That's reality.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As MaximalLife said, give it time - changes don't happen overnight or even a week's time. Anytime you change your diet or exercise, give it at least 2 to 3 weeks to take affect.

Could be that you're eating too many exercise calories, and as you already know, without an HRM there's no way to get an accurate count. Try to just eat 50-75% of earned calories and see how that works for you.

I've never done P90X but I understand there is a lot of strength training involved. Typically up on starting this type of workout program, folks tend to gain as muscle tissues retains water as part of the healing process. Drink plenty of water to flush the excess and watch your sodium intake. And remember, TOM affects this too.

Best of luck!
  • dyremior
    Options
    That's reality.

Who is on a crash diet?
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Can I ask; "what is insanity"?

I understand it to be someone who's insane, lost their mind!!! ha
  • xonikitashafferxo
    xonikitashafferxo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Can I ask; "what is insanity"?

I understand it to be someone who's insane, lost their mind!!! ha

It is a workout DVD. It's called insanity because it's and insane workout. It's awesome!!
  • xonikitashafferxo
    xonikitashafferxo Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's four pounds, but how is that possible? I am on week 2 of insanity and over a month on exercise and following a diet. This past week I have been trying to eat back my exercise calories and it seems to be moving the scale in the opposite direction. Anyone else have this problem?

I ate back my calories last night and I paid for it... not by a lot at all but the scale did go up by a half a pound.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    It is my opinion that MFP overstates calories burned somewhat.

If you are doing intense exercise - in other words, burning a LOT of calories - the discrepancy might throw the "calories burned" off enough that eating them all back is counterproductive.

Get an HRM - with a chest strap - and log your actual burn, rather than relying on MFP's database of exercises.
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    That's reality.

Who is on a crash diet?
    Look around - most people here on MFP are as are most dieters. Those actually working this site as recommended are the tiny minority. And for those who may not know, here it is.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.
    If you're working some other program, good luck. Maybe it will work for you, but too many try to over reach, stifling progress and wondering why they are not getting results.

Since January, I have lost over 100 friends who have either just stopped logging in or actually deactivated their accounts.
    And this trend is mirrored in fitness clubs across the nation.

Those getting fit the right way are the tiny minority, so I invite anybody on that fence...
    COME ON IN!
    THE WATER'S FINE!:drinker:
  • msjack32
    msjack32 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Could it be that time of the month?? I know for me, I bloat really bad and will gain up to 5 lbs, but by a week later it's gone.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    That's reality.

I know you lost a lot of weight, but you speak like your word is gospel. It isn't. Not everybody has a body that works like yours does.
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    That's reality.

I know you lost a lot of weight, but you speak like your word is gospel. It isn't. Not everybody has a body that works like yours does.
    It might be productive to offer up solutions as opposed to excuses and what sounds like pointless sniveling.
    What works?
    I know what doesn't work which is why MFP is set up the way it is.
    Do you have anything beneficial to offer like specifics that people here can use?

Here AGAIN is how MFP is set up...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

If you have something better, let's hear it.
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    It is my opinion that MFP overstates calories burned somewhat.

If you are doing intense exercise - in other words, burning a LOT of calories - the discrepancy might throw the "calories burned" off enough that eating them all back is counterproductive.

Get an HRM - with a chest strap - and log your actual burn, rather than relying on MFP's database of exercises.
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS!
    I had to totally tweak the burn rate, down-regulating everything about 25%.
    Sometimes it takes a little experimenting to find your 'zone".
  • dyremior
    Options
    @ MaximalLife You have had great success with your weight loss, I hope that you never have to experience the kind of plateau that I have been on since Sept. I am not now or have ever done a crash diet! I am not sniveling, or not facing the truth. I have been on my wt loss journey since Nov. 2010 and have had great success also, like you. I eat all the right things, do 60 to 90 minutes of intense work 6 days a week at the gym. BUT for some reason that I can not break my body just will not give up anymore weight! I have tried every suggestion and tip out there. I will be seeing a nutritionist soon.
    You really kinda upset me because you assumed that we are all in the same boat not doing what we should, sometimes there are things happening with our bodies that we have no control over. I am a strong middle aged women that has struggled with my weight all my life with many obstacles along the way. Could you do what you do having had brain surgery for an aneurysm, have daily headaches so intense that you can't work? I do everyday! Please in the future remember that not everyone is the same.
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    @ MaximalLife You have had great success with your weight loss, I hope that you never have to experience the kind of plateau that I have been on since Sept. I am not now or have ever done a crash diet! I am not sniveling, or not facing the truth. I have been on my wt loss journey since Nov. 2010 and have had great success also, like you. I eat all the right things, do 60 to 90 minutes of intense work 6 days a week at the gym. BUT for some reason that I can not break my body just will not give up anymore weight! I have tried every suggestion and tip out there. I will be seeing a nutritionist soon.
    You really kinda upset me because you assumed that we are all in the same boat not doing what we should, sometimes there are things happening with our bodies that we have no control over. I am a strong middle aged women that has struggled with my weight all my life with many obstacles along the way. Could you do what you do having had brain surgery for an aneurysm, have daily headaches so intense that you can't work? I do everyday! Please in the future remember that not everyone is the same.
    Open your diary.
    Let's see what's there. Chances are you're not as unique as you'd like to believe.

That's usually the case. Weight loss is not magic, and neither are stifled results mysteries.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    That's reality.
    ^^^^^^ This is so true. I did same thing a lot of people do when they first come to MFP eat very low calories and exercise my but off and some day burning as much as 2500 calories. (I'm a cyclist just in case you are wondering how I burn that many calories) I did not eat my exercise calories back and thought anyone who did was crazy. Well I lost about 40 pounds that way and every time I stopped losing I ate less. Well my body stopped losing weight and I screwed up my metabolism. After I started eating properly it took about 4 months of weight gain before I started losing agian but I am healthier and happier now. I now consume 1600-2000 calories per day and enjoy every last one. I'm able to do more and go longer in my workouts, I'm increasing my weights and my body is thanking me. So just because you gain a few pounds does not mean eating those calories is not working.
  • MaximalLife
    Options
    That's reality.
    ^^^^^^ This is so true. I did same thing a lot of people do when they first come to MFP eat very low calories and exercise my but off and some day burning as much as 2500 calories. (I'm a cyclist just in case you are wondering how I burn that many calories) I did not eat my exercise calories back and thought anyone who did was crazy. Well I lost about 40 pounds that way and every time I stopped losing I ate less. Well my body stopped losing weight and I screwed up my metabolism. After I started eating properly it took about 4 months of weight gain before I started losing agian but I am healthier and happier now. I now consume 1600-2000 calories per day and enjoy every last one. I'm able to do more and go longer in my workouts, I'm increasing my weights and my body is thanking me. So just because you gain a few pounds does not mean eating those calories is not working.
    I also had to learn the hard way. I thought I was doing right, and I just did not understand until I heard from somebody who knew better. It was still hard to accept.