I'm a girl who wants to start heavy lifting... advice?

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
Okay, so I shed a crap-ton of weight.

... and I got fit and healthy

... and I won a contest that gave me a free month of personal training (3x/week)

... and, during that month, I fell in love with strength training

... and now I want to learn how to do heavy lifting in the free weight area, but I don't know where to start (I"ve only ever used the machines)

Sooo.... I need whatever tips, advice, etc. you have to give me (other than to get a book - not going to happen - I am looking for practical, specific advice).

THANK YOU!

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com

lift like a man would..we are no different. muscle is muscle
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There is a large community of women lifters on the board. Some are fans of the book/program "The New Rules of Lifting for Women".

Others like Stronglifts 5x5.

Hard to go wrong with either. Find the Bodybuilding and/or the Strength Training groups.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    Looking for specific things like:

How to maintain proper form

How to know what weights to start with

Safety info

Do I need gloves?

(and other stuff like that)
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You think about getting a book maybe? I know a lot of woman who start off by doing the program in the book "the new rules of lifting for woman". Seems pretty legit. C:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com

lift like a man would..we are no different. muscle is muscle
    Well said!

Purchase "Beyond Brawn" and "Starting Strength".
  • CoryIda
    Options
    You think about getting a book maybe? I know a lot of woman who start off by doing the program in the book "the new rules of lifting for woman". Seems pretty legit. C:
    I am an avid reader, but only fluff. My eyes gloss over when I read "self help" or "advice" books.

I guess I'll check out bodybuilding.com, but are there any tips anyone has?
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    definitely do NOT do squats or deadlifts without having someone who seems like they know their stuff teach you. You will get some bad injuries if you do load 45lbs and try this for the 1st time. You start with a weight that you can barely lift for 12 times. Lift fast and lower slowly. I don't use gloves because I have a lot of calluses in my hands ( if you're a hand model get gloves, otherwise I wouldn't mind)

if you don't do bench, deadlifts and squats you're not really lifting
    try starting with the barbell at first
    for squats--> Always be on your heels and push with them. Your butt has to stick out as if you're gonna sit down. Load the barbell on your back (NOT YOUR NECK!!!) and don't be the ****head that goes down a quarter of the way....
    for the bench----> your shoulderblades have to be as close as possible as you can. You must also try to get your lats into the movement as to try to bend the bar inwards.
    deadlifts are tough get someone to teach you.
    lift and lower slowly, muscles are stronger on the lowering part of the exercise, and if you drop the weight fast, you're missing on that part of the exercise
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    You had a personal trainer that didn't show you how to use the dumbbells? That sucks! Look up things on bodybuilding.com... there are great videos for various exercises...

I even just found in their app a great selection of videos. They are exercises, organized by body part! So if you have no clue what to do, you just know you want to work out your legs, you can go in the various leg sections :)
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I confess that I rely heavily on a book but you're clear that you don't want that recommendation.

So here's other advice....

1. friend women on here who lift heavy bc we exchange lots of tips randomly and inadvertently
    2. watch youtube vids for proper form. i like mark rippetoe ones bc i hear he's credible. man, there are a lot of details in a good squat.
    3. i found it worth hiring a trainer for a few session bc i learned lots about good form. plus he gave me a nickname and i like that.
    4. brag when you lift more than you thought you could. friends here support that, and it makes it fun and extra rewarding.
    5. focus on the big lifts: squats, deadlifts, and one i've not yet gotten to, bench press.
    6. eat a lot of protein, inlc shakes on days you lift. it helps build muscle, which of course is the point of all this business.
    7. flex in the mirror to admire your results and not take yourself to seriously.

good luck and enjoy!
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly lifting "heavy" yet by most standards... but I am sold on The New Rules of Lifting for Women and just ordered my own copy. (Something feels wrong about putting a library book in a gym bag with sneakers. lol)

I've been watching Mark Rippetoe's videos on Youtube to get a better picture of how things should actually look, and reading some of the forums at thenewrulesoflifting.com where I've found a few specific pointers that are relevant to the book.

I like the layout of it because he does explain everything in layman's terms... but also because at the end the entire program is spelled out in black and white with a schedule and photos. I made copies of everything and have it in a little folder to bring to the gym as a checklist.

I don't have gloves, but I think I will eventually because I really don't want to callus my hands and I am rather prone to getting them easily (I get calluses just from raking leaves).
  • CoryIda
    Options
    The personal trainer taught me how to use all of the different machines (and used heavy weights, slow movement, and few reps to achieve muscle failure on each exercise), but not the free weights.

I upped my protein a *lot* when I started focusing on strength training, so I think that's good, I just want to kick my butt in the free weights section now.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    to be perfectly honest, nothing would beat a personal trainer. Walk up to your local gym. Look up a trainer and ask them questions if they can help you specifically. when you're not getting trained, read up on stuff from websites and ask your trainer before you start those exercises. Dont underestimate the human touch, there are alot of things that we or the books wont be able to help you with since we cannot see what you're doing and the trainer will be able to help you out with your form and everything!

Also, congrats on the weight loss and GL with your new adventure!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I don't think you'd snooze "reading" New Rules. You could skip to the workout section since the other stuff- rationale, cardio hate, nutrition-- might be less important. The workout sections are just charts really, and pictures. You likely wouldn't get bored. And it'd be very informative.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    I don't think you'd snooze "reading" New Rules. You could skip to the workout section since the other stuff- rationale, cardio hate, nutrition-- might be less important. The workout sections are just charts really, and pictures. You likely wouldn't get bored. And it'd be very informative.
    Good to know. I actually have a great attention span but, for some reason, most non-fiction books make me want to go to sleep (in fact, maybe I should take up heavy reading when I'm having problems with insomnia :happy: ) but if I can look at charts and get practical, real-world ideas, that might be worth getting anyway.
  • CoryIda
    Options
    ... because the LAST thing I would want to do is injure myself and not be able to exercise at all.
  • dshale
    dshale Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I might be a little old school with thing. Way back before I got lazy I lifted a lot. Here are the rules that I lived by:

1. Work your muscles in push/pull pairs. For example if you work biceps then you work triceps.
    2. rest is important. Don't workout one body part two days in a row. Your body needs to recover to get stronger.
    3. Set goals and a time to meet it. I'm very competitive, so this kept me going.
    4. Be safe. Use a spotter, watch your finger and toes (I saw a friend almost take his finger off when it got caught between the bar and the squat rack), and be aware of the people around you.
    5. Mix it up. The same exercise over and over is bad on many levels. One it's boring and two different exercises on the same body part will work different muscles
    6. Work on your weaknesses but don't focus on them. If you have strong legs don't skip arms because it's hard or only work arms because they are disproportionately weak.
    7. The specifics - I would do most exercises two days a week. I would do four sets. One day would be 5-3-3-1 at 60%-70%-80%-90% of max and the other would be 8-6-6-4 at 40%-50%-60%-70% of max. I'd try for a new max every few weeks.

That being said I'm sure many would disagree with me and wouldn't blame them if they did.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    So I'm a creeper & went to your profile to see how much you'd lost & whatnot...DAMN GIRL! You look so great!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    So I'm a creeper & went to your profile to see how much you'd lost & whatnot...DAMN GIRL! You look so great!
    To steal the words from a fabulous MFPal of mine, "any creep factor is automatically negated by the compliment" - so thank you!
  • CoryIda
    Options
    So... do you all (or y'all if you're Southern) think it might be worth it to use a chunk of my tax return to maybe get a personal trainer for a session or two *just* to show me how to use the free weights?
    I feel like I can totally rock the machines after being taught how to do them properly and how to get the most out of my muscles from them, but I don't want to do something stupid like mess up my back or break my foot or dislocate my shoulder by doing weight stuff I'm not familiar with.
    ... or do you think the videos and charts would be adequate?
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    So... do you all (or y'all if you're Southern) think it might be worth it to use a chunk of my tax return to maybe get a personal trainer for a session or two *just* to show me how to use the free weights?

it would be awesome to have someone show it to you, but i have a feeling there might be a trainer around that can help you for a free session. since you aren't asking them to create a workout plan for you or push you to your limit for an hour, it almost doesn't seem like a real 'session'. i know the trainers at my gym are always offering free help (for little stuff) not sure about Golds.

start light with anything, bodybuilding.com has TONS of fabulous info and I get my routines from there. they have videos on form, too. youtube and general internet searches can really help. mirrors help you to check form. I think in the squats with the barbell you need to be looking at the floor (not up, not the mirrors) but all the rest of the moves it is helpful to look up. knees with a slight bend for pretty much everything!