Alcohol sucks

Options
j4nash
j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
Yes, I just said that.

After years of drinking socially and other reasons I find myself more inclined to go for water.. especially after my previous stint with alcohol. I dunno, something about not being hungover and less bad decisions is more appealing these days and not to mention I feel like **** afterwards. 10 years ago it didn't seem that bad but nowadays it just throws me under the bus. Dislike. Anyone else go or going through a similar experience?

Replies

• mdailey93
    Options
    I drink on a fairly regular basis, but I don't know why anymore. It's usually fun while I'm doing it, but the way it effects me (hangover breakfasts, smoking while drunk, etc.) doesn't seem to be worth it anymore. It's so hard to cut back though, because all of my friends drink, and when they do it, I want to too. :/
  • Fat_Chopper
    Fat_Chopper Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Gave it up 2 years ago when I saw the calories. I don't miss the buzz, don't miss the hangovers and love the left over coin in my pocket.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    After new years i gave up alky all together. There is a country song that says "if iv had one iv had 13" that was me. I drank on average of 30-40 drinks a week total. It was a way of life, get off work go to the bar for about 4 years. I feel amazing since i stopped. Iv had about 4 o'douls since i stopped just for the flavor. I don't miss the hangover mornings and i made alot of bad decisions when i was drinking also. Hang in there and it will make you a better person.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I never drank a drop until I was 22. Then it was like "Weeee! This is fun!" for a couple years. Then, after a couple bad hangovers... I got over it. lol
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Well I am 19 (but live in australia so it's legal to drink at 18) I have had 5 nights of drinking fun and then was like.. why did i just do that to my body? waste of calories + money + the next day i was feeling awful and unable to do anything. i just don't wanna wreck my body... it's pretty hard though cos where i live at least 90% of teens (from the ages of 15 to 25) drink at least 3 or 4 times a week.
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I can't drink and train. So, for the most part, I don't drink. After years of drinking too much (FAR too much for a few of them), I made a decision to quit. I will still drink on special occasions, but I track the calories and that's pretty well enough incentive not to go too far over any logical line. I don't miss being drunk, I don't at all miss being hungover, I don't miss the money I was spending, and I certainly don't miss waking up knowing I was an *kitten*.

I kinda miss being buzzed out and relaxed at times, but hey, training and family come first and second, just not in that order ;)

Good on you for making the healthy decision, whatever your reasons might have been.

S
  • ludeo
    ludeo Posts: 75
    Options
    beautyfrom pain i know what you mean,everyone seems to drink here and all the time,i have friends who just waste all there money on drinking like work all week then spend most of it in one night getting drunk,ive never really understood it cause ive always had to drive everywhere cause i lived out of town for so long. probably was a good thing. i do drink at parties and all that but i dont drink all the time.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    My eight year sobriety birthday is in two days on February 14th and I love my happy, healthy life without alcohol. My hang overs were pretty gnarly when I was drinking, so it's awesome to know I will never feel like that again!

Lucy :)
  • Lisa2374
    Lisa2374 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yip, i'm with ya! I used to drink at least 4 evenings of the wk when i was 'young and single'. Met hubbie 5years ago and we still would have partied with friends at least 2 nights a wk.. lately however we realised the amount of money we were spending jst to get ridiculous hangovers and not leave the house on a Sunday.. so this wkend, we did our own thing, cinema/meal/1 beer (yip i did say ONE) and today we're heading up the coast fishing, ie doing something with our sunday with more money in our pockets and feel great :):) I'm 34 now and feel like my party days are behind me!!

PS we're Irish so it's hard giving up a big social life here, lol :):) Great choice for you :):)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I could share stories of drinking that would put hair on people's chests. :laugh: In the end it came down to this for me: if you're doing something that isn't working for you- then why keep doing it? There are plenty of people who are happy and don't drink. Plenty of people who are happy that don't smoke. Plenty of people happy who don't forget to pay bills on time.... It can work for anything that isn't working for you. Took me a long time to learn that there are truly happy people who don't drink- I never knew that. Sure never saw it growing up!!

Next step is- if it's not working, what was I going to do about it? For me it was getting sober and stopping smoking. For others maybe it's not even going down the ice cream isle.

So yeah, eventually I realized I was killing myself and what exactly was the point of that? I wasn't happy anyway. So I joined AA, doesn't work for everyone obvs, but works for me. Plenty of people can drink and be fine- I am not one of those people :noway:
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink these days. At 5'4", 110 lbs I used to be able to put down 10 beers in beer pong. Combine that with the munchies, and it's no wonder I put on 20 pounds!

Now, one drink makes me tipsy, and my friends are marathon drinkers, so I tend to be the one who sips on soda water.

I'm also surrounded by a massive A.A. community... now that I'm doing other things for fun, I've found 'em! Even though I still drink occasionally, it's nice to know people who don't do it at all.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    thats a very mean thing to say. take it back!
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, and I never had alcohol until 6 years ago! I enjoy white wine and an occasional beer. I've branched out to include margaritas, mojitos and faux (vodka, cranberry & triple sec) martinis. Not often, but sometimes. :drinker:
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just said that.

After years of drinking socially and other reasons I find myself more inclined to go for water.. especially after my previous stint with alcohol. I dunno, something about not being hungover and less bad decisions is more appealing these days and not to mention I feel like **** afterwards. 10 years ago it didn't seem that bad but nowadays it just throws me under the bus. Dislike. Anyone else go or going through a similar experience?
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Next week will mark my three years of sobriety! My life is much more fulfilling, and happy without the booze. I do not ever want to go back to that lifestyle.
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Big respect to all who have given up entirely. I have never been a heavy drinker but do still have a few socially from time to time. In such cases these days I take a measure with me so that I can accurately record consumption. Seeing me get the measure out alongside the vodka bottle is always a talking point and thankfully viewed with respect rather than sarcasm when it happens.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Amen! I went out last night for the first time in quite awhile, and found myself only drinking a few drinks. Got a light buzz, only spent about 15 bucks, feel good today. When I drink anymore, I just keep reminding myself of how crappy it is to feel out of control, and how crappy I will feel the next day if I keep going. I just can't bring myself to drink to the point of oblivion anymore. I know if I keep drinking, I will keep eating. And I will waste half of the next day. Not to mention the money that gets wasted. It's just so much easier to stay away from the bar scene. Now, if I want a drink I have one at home that I can control. And only use up about 70 cals.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy a glass of wine, but when I do....it makes me want to EAT!! It is so easy to lose control when I drink anything. I wish I didn't enjoy the wine like I do.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I drink on rare occasions. I gave up my nightly glass of wine and lost so much weight. Drinking is counter productive to all the hard work I put in to train!
  • Mom4hats
    Mom4hats Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, it kind of defeats the purpose and goal to be healthy. I drink once in a while, but less and less as I count my calories. I'd rather eat something yummy than drink it down.