MFP Runner's Club

Options

Replies

• jodi0117
    jodi0117 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks Raymond! Excellent post and good reminders.....Texas weather is not very forgiving in the summer!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    My first time jumping in here. I just (re)started running again after about 11 years off. (ONE LONG REST DAY)

Anyway, getting ready for a half in Philly in September, ran 6.5 on Saturday, basketball yesterday then 2.5 faster run today.

I'm not running fast by any means, average about 10 minute miles on longer runs. But today I went to 9 minute for the 2.5 miles. Any advise on how to get a lot faster and still prep for a half?
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    My first time jumping in here. I just (re)started running again after about 11 years off. (ONE LONG REST DAY)

Anyway, getting ready for a half in Philly in September, ran 6.5 on Saturday, basketball yesterday then 2.5 faster run today.

I'm not running fast by any means, average about 10 minute miles on longer runs. But today I went to 9 minute for the 2.5 miles. Any advise on how to get a lot faster and still prep for a half?

Long runs at 10 minute miles sounds fast to me! :wink: Welcome to the board! There are several excellent posts on this thread and the previous MFP Runner's thread which locked out at 500 posts. You can still access the info however. Rainman and Kechie especially have posted some excellent info .on increasing speed and distance I would try to post the link for you, but I'm a total computer moron...just ask my kids! :laugh:

Raymond...as always, thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with us! Very timely for me. I'm going for 10 miles tomorrow. Humidity is supposed to be lower and it should only be about 80 degrees or so while I'm out. I'm breaking it into 2 ~ 5 mile runs in my head with a planned break after mile 5.
    Thanks also for the heads up on P90X Plyo....it shredded me, not in a good way. The impact destroyed my shins and hips. I'm putting it away until winter when I may only get out for 3 runs a week.

Becky
  • SatelliteCrush80
    SatelliteCrush80 Posts: 3,575 Member
    Options
    Not a great run today...felt like I was carrying all of the hundred pounds I lost, plus 20 extra in my shoes. Really just kind of hit the wall a little over 20 minutes in, so I finished the rest of my 5K at a nice walk. I'm sure I could have kept going because it actually is not that hot today, but I just felt foul. Oh well, it happens I guess.

chgudnitz- I don't even know what I would do if I could run 10 minute miles on my long runs! :smile: Let me be honest, I will probably do cartwheels and come here posting all over the place when I can do that on my short runs!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Thanks you all. I am pretty happy with it for right now, I think I am comparing myself to a long time ago when I used to run 6:40 miles for a hour at a time.

It's just I can't seem to remember how I went that fast :laugh: Might have been that I was that much younger :drinker:
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Wow, Raymond! You sure did make me feel better about my runs since it has got so hot and humid. I live in South Mississippi, so the humidity is really bad all the time. My runs have slowed down tremedously, and I have felt so defeated! Your post has lifted my spirits about running now and training for this half marathon. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • gustergirl
    gustergirl Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    sssshhh *I skipped my run today***

:laugh:

I was too tired and I have a long run tomorrow. I did way too much this weekend. 3 cities in 3 days.
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Good evening everyone!!

Raymond, thanks so much for the post. This past weekend I thought I'd run on the track with the full sun beating down on me. It zapped my energy so fast that I could only do 2 miles before I was done.

Had a great run today. Recouping from all the partying I did this weekend (I was good though and didn't drink anything but a sip of homemade wine - BLECK!). Ran about 3 miles without stopping and felt really good about it.

chgudnitz, welcome to the board!!

Night everyone!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Started the 10k program this evening, it was rather enjoyable. However, it completely threw me off to run intervals again - I am used to long continuous runs now, and the intervals felt wierd.

On the upside, I was taking the intervals MUCH faster than I used to. I'm also incorporating hills into my workout this time around, so by the time I'm done my body will hopefully be a bit less peculiar about terrain.
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Good job msarro, I'm trying to get used to intervals myself...

I'm just posting to tell you guys about the nathan sprint water bottle, I don't know if anyone has it but I got it today and I think its going to be GREAT, its 10 oz compared to the normal 22 oz that I was carrying, this is the only small handheld one I've seen, I'm super excited to use it in the morning! I will let you guys know how it works out, have a great night :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Options

Christine... what a bummer. I'll add you to my prayer list for bible group tonight.

Thank you so much rainman! That means a lot to me!:smile:
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options

You can go to runnersworld.com and type in your times in the smart coach and it will give you a program for the 1/2 marathon. It is a 16 week program and I know the 1/2 in Sept is not 16 weeks out but you should be able to do most of the program to improve your time. I wanted to do the 1/2 in Sept to improve my time from last year but it won't happen this year. :sad: Oh well, there is always next year. There are a couple of people already signed up to do the 1/2 in this group. Who knows maybe we will all run into each other on race day. :smokin:
  • SherryRH
    Options
    No run today.
    Cycle and P90X Arms & Shoulders.
    Down 2 more pounds and 2% bodyfat! :smile:
    Only 30 more to go :frown:
    Have a great day everyone!

Becky

Becky I missed this yesterday. :frown: Congrats on losing 2 lbs and 2% bodyfat. :flowerforyou:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Tuesday is supposed to be my 'speed' day, but got up this morning at 5 AM and it was already 85 degrees and 90% humidity. Left the GPS at home and just wore my heart monitor ; ran about 6 miles pacing off my heart rate instead.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

7 miles for me this morning. Mixing things up this week. Living on the edge.:laugh: A HOT and humid run at 7 am this morning.

Rant: I am a friendly runner. I wave or say "good morning" to the people I see along my route. I don't mind if people stop me and ask for directions. This morning a very nice lady stopped me and ever so politely apologized for interrupting me and asked me for directions. I stopped and spent 30 seconds helping her get directions. Do you know that she then did not follow my directions?!:explode:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    Good morning:flowerforyou:

7 miles for me this morning. Mixing things up this week. Living on the edge.:laugh: A HOT and humid run at 7 am this morning.

Rant: I am a friendly runner. I wave or say "good morning" to the people I see along my route. I don't mind if people stop me and ask for directions. This morning a very nice lady stopped me and ever so politely apologized for interrupting me and asked me for directions. I stopped and spent 30 seconds helping her get directions. Do you know that she then did not follow my directions?!:explode:

Enjoy the day
    -Kechie.

She didn't ask you again when she circled around because she was lost, did she? :laugh:
  • jabdye
    jabdye Posts: 4,059 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday to you all!

I got in 5.5 easy miles today -- tommorrow is my tempo run -- yikes!!! Wish me luck!

Christine -- so sorry things didn't go well -- hopefully the doc can get you back on track.

Raymond -- what kind of gels taste good??? Still waiting for that info:noway: -- and thanks for the post on the weather. I'm going to get this eating/drinking thing down one of these days....in the meantime I'm hiring the water boy for my next run!

chgudnitz -- welcome!!! I'm also training for a 1/2 in Sept and am using the runners world training program. Try that -- it incorporates easy runs, long runs, tempo runs and speedwork -- and so far so good. It has helped me not to overtrain!

Shuntae -- I have had the lead shoe syndrome before myself -- may have been something you ate -- or lack of sleep -- lots of stuff can contribute to a sluggish run. just chalk it up to a bad run day but I'm sure your next run will be better!

Leash -- can't wait to hear how that water bottle did. Mine is too heavy and made my shoulder cramp. Maybe a lighter version would help -- or hiring a water boy to hand me water during my run!!!

Msarro -- congrats on starting the 10k program. Keep up the good work!

Kechie -- your "rant" made me laugh. How dare her :bigsmile:

Think I covered everybody :bigsmile: Hope you all have a fabulous day!!!
    Julie
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    Options
    Well, 10 miles didn't happen today. I was supposed to meet some friends to run at 8:15....waited for one until 8:30. The other was supposed to catch us at 9:15, showed up at 9:30 and only had 30 minutes instead of the hour we'd planned. Grrr! Am I being selfish to want to stick to an agreed on time? I am working towards training for a half marathon and only 1 of the other 3 buddies has shown up on time. I don't want to be nasty, but 9:30 is too late in SC when going for distance!!!
    Okay, done whining!

Raymond, I listened to you and realized I had stopped sweating around mile 6 and my only remaining running buddy (the other's went back after 3)started complaining about chills at mile 7, so we stopped. You know, it is harder to admit you're struggling and stop ~ than trying to *gut* it out. Mentally, I know we made the right call, but emotionally I feel like we could have pushed through and made at least another mile. But, I took your advice and listened to my body!

7.1 miles in 66 minutes, I'll live with that.

Becky
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Gu's for me, that's actually what they are called... Gu. The consistency is thinner and think they tast good... yum, yum. My favorite is chocolate, although most folks like the strawberry banana.

I love seeing the "happy" runners, great job Kechie. :happy: :happy: I wave or say Hi to everyone, trying to give runners a good rap.

My rant... why does everyone HATE cyclists???? I get flipped off, honked at, and buzzed all the time. I actually confronted some kids who flipped me off a couple weeks ago. Found em at the gas station and asked "you the fella's that gave me the bird back there?" Just thought it worth the confrontation to make them uncomfortable.... and it worked.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    WOW Becky... thanks for listening too. It's so dangerous !! Because you CAN push thru it. Usually it's related to effort, so often slowing down or intermixing some walks does help get temp control. Awareness is awesome, glad it helped!

Raymond